Jackson skates size help! | Golden Skate

Jackson skates size help!

cheddar

Rinkside
Hi all! I know this question is very repetitive and no one will be able to give me the exact size I should wear, but any advice would be appreciated regardless!

I recently tried a Risport size 38 (not sure which model, it just said Risport under the sole) at my local ice rink and it was an exact fit, but was a bit tight while skating, a 38.5 probably would have been perfect (not sure if those exist). If I were to wear Jackson Mystiques, does anyone know which size may be a good fit? My usual shoe size is 39 and in some shoes, 38.

I tried using the size charts for Jackson but they're very confusing, because when I measure the width circumfurence I get roughly 23.5-24cm and the length is 24-24.5cm. The circumfurence only fits a size 10 or so on the chart but that means the length of the skate will be much longer than what I need. There aren't any skate fitting places anywhere in my city either.

Any help?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hi all! I know this question is very repetitive and no one will be able to give me the exact size I should wear, but any advice would be appreciated regardless!

I recently tried a Risport size 38 (not sure which model, it just said Risport under the sole) at my local ice rink and it was an exact fit, but was a bit tight while skating, a 38.5 probably would have been perfect (not sure if those exist). If I were to wear Jackson Mystiques, does anyone know which size may be a good fit? My usual shoe size is 39 and in some shoes, 38.

I tried using the size charts for Jackson but they're very confusing, because when I measure the width circumfurence I get roughly 23.5-24cm and the length is 24-24.5cm. The circumfurence only fits a size 10 or so on the chart but that means the length of the skate will be much longer than what I need. There aren't any skate fitting places anywhere in my city either.

Any help?
Hello and welcome to the Forum!

What you really need is a proper fitting. I know it's more difficult when you don't have anywhere in your city but it really is worth travelling as it should save you time, pain, frustration and usually a lot of money! I travel 5 hours to my fitter and, despite me being as old as the hills and an ex-pro skater, I still wasted far too much money on boots that just didn't fit that I'd bought online.

From what you say, if you found that the Risport boots you tried fitted (were they borrowed from another skater?) but were just a little bit tight whilst skating, then you probably need a boot that comes in a wide fitting. The widest Risport boot is a C width, which is their normal width; A and B are special orders. Jackson are generally more roomy in the toe box plus they also do a wide fitting, which is fabulous, but I don't think that is available at Mystique level. Plus I would never put an adult in a Mystique.

If you can give us a bit more information about yourself (height, weight, skating level, etc), then we can be of more assistance. Plus if you let us know where you are in the world, we can almost certainly recommend a good fitter. Between us, we have a wealth of knowledge and help people the world over! Plus there are some fitters who can be trusted to work with you virtually.

cheddar

Rinkside
Hello and welcome to the Forum!

What you really need is a proper fitting. I know it's more difficult when you don't have anywhere in your city but it really is worth travelling as it should save you time, pain, frustration and usually a lot of money! I travel 5 hours to my fitter and, despite me being as old as the hills and an ex-pro skater, I still wasted far too much money on boots that just didn't fit that I'd bought online.

From what you say, if you found that the Risport boots you tried fitted (were they borrowed from another skater?) but were just a little bit tight whilst skating, then you probably need a boot that comes in a wide fitting. The widest Risport boot is a C width, which is their normal width; A and B are special orders. Jackson are generally more roomy in the toe box plus they also do a wide fitting, which is fabulous, but I don't think that is available at Mystique level. Plus I would never put an adult in a Mystique.

If you can give us a bit more information about yourself (height, weight, skating level, etc), then we can be of more assistance. Plus if you let us know where you are in the world, we can almost certainly recommend a good fitter. Between us, we have a wealth of knowledge and help people the world over! Plus there are some fitters who can be trusted to work with you virtually.
Thank you so much for the thorough reply! Yes for sure, I'll add more details!

So my height is 5'3", about 48KG/49KG, I've only ever used rentals because I could never afford skates or lessons and I live in the UAE, Dubai in particular. I've looked but there doesn't seem to be any professional fitter here at all :(

My goal at the moment is to be able to do a cross over at most and skate a bit more confidently. I'm planning to only book about 10x 30MIN lessons (with 1HR practice time) for now as it's just within my budget. In regular shoes I find it quite easy to fit into without the need to get an extra wide fit which is why I'm confused about not being able to find a size in skates.

Thank you so much again! Much appreciated for any further suggestions

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
The reason I suggested Jackson in a wide fitting is that it's not outrageously wide (like Edea's E fitting) but is definitely wider than Risport's standard, C. However, it is necessary to bear in mind that skating boots are designed to fit a lot more snugly than street footwear. This is because you need to be able to transfer your body movements through your feet to your blades and if you're moving in the boot, that can't happen. But we really can't tell you what size you are, because there are so many factors that need to be taken into consideration. As a general rule, a European 38 would be around a 6.5 in Jacksons, but it really isn't that simple.

For you weight and level, I'd advise that the lowest Jackson you should go for is the Freestyle, which comes ready mounted with an Aspire blade, which is perfect for the first part of your skating journey. You do, however, really need to speak to a fitter about the size. I know that Everglides in the UK do virtual fittings and ship internationally, so maybe contact them?

Everglides website

I'm sure other forumites can recommend a closer fitter to you. @Ic3Rabbit knows fitters all over the world.

cheddar

Rinkside
The reason I suggested Jackson in a wide fitting is that it's not outrageously wide (like Edea's E fitting) but is definitely wider than Risport's standard, C. However, it is necessary to bear in mind that skating boots are designed to fit a lot more snugly than street footwear. This is because you need to be able to transfer your body movements through your feet to your blades and if you're moving in the boot, that can't happen. But we really can't tell you what size you are, because there are so many factors that need to be taken into consideration. As a general rule, a European 38 would be around a 6.5 in Jacksons, but it really isn't that simple.

For you weight and level, I'd advise that the lowest Jackson you should go for is the Freestyle, which comes ready mounted with an Aspire blade, which is perfect for the first part of your skating journey. You do, however, really need to speak to a fitter about the size. I know that Everglides in the UK do virtual fittings and ship internationally, so maybe contact them?

Everglides website

I'm sure other forumites can recommend a closer fitter to you. @Ic3Rabbit knows fitters all over the world.
Thank you so much for the reply!

If I may I ask, what makes the mystiques not ideal or goof enough? Is it because it's less stiff? I think I'm not able to get Jackson Freestyles where I am, but I will keep looking.

cheddar

Rinkside
Hey, does anyone have recommendations for buying skates? I contacted Everglides but haven't gotten a response yet, and Amazon only has the Freestyles with different blades in my size. Anywhere else I can get the Jackson Freestyles internationally, preferably with virtual fittings? Thanks!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hey, does anyone have recommendations for buying skates? I contacted Everglides but haven't gotten a response yet, and Amazon only has the Freestyles with different blades in my size. Anywhere else I can get the Jackson Freestyles internationally, preferably with virtual fittings? Thanks!
Just calm down and possibly go over to Everglides, they may not have someone over there to answer the phone all the time etc. You can also email them.

There are other places in the area to be fit, but YOU MUST BE FIT. Never order from Amazon or with a virtual fitting.

cheddar

Rinkside
From the info I can find on the internet, there are no fitters where I am, so unfortunately going to a professional fitter is not an option. I did also contact Everglides via email and no response for weeks.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
December is a hectic month (Christmas crunch) for many skate shops. Your e-mail likely got lost in a deluge. Wait until the second week of Jan or so, and contact them again.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Based on your width measurements above, it sounds to me like you might need a semi custom width, that the stock wide widths that are available might not be wide enough for you. Unfortunately the only way to get a semi custom wide is an in person fitting with an authorized dealer that can measure you then order through the bootmaker. Also, lower level rec skates like Mystiques are not available in wider or semi custom widths.

I had this issue as well, most of my street shoes I just sized up until they fit, it's only in the last few months I've started wearing a wide in street shoes. But figure skates are VERY VERY different from street shoes and it is unsafe to learn skills in a boot that is too long for your foot. They must be the correct length as well as the correct width. My street shoes are a 7.5 wide (which is like C/D width) and my skates are 6EE.

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
From the info I can find on the internet, there are no fitters where I am, so unfortunately going to a professional fitter is not an option. I did also contact Everglides via email and no response for weeks.
Everglides are extremely busy because they are very, very good. I wish they replied to messages more quickly but they don't. Keep trying.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Everglides are extremely busy because they are very, very good. I wish they replied to messages more quickly but they don't. Keep trying.
Agreed. And if you live close enough, go over there and visit and talk to someone.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
You could also try making an appointment. You can do this via their website. There is a form on there.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
OP says they live in Dubai, so unlikely they can get over to the UK for a fitting. Anyone know of a shop in UAE?

cheddar

Rinkside
Thank you for all the replies! For some reason I haven't been getting notifications lately for it.

And thank you for the suggestion, I will contact them and see if I can get some skates as I've started some basic group lessons already~

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Also look into Oasis Skating Club there, they can usually get skaters Jackson skates.