Status
Not open for further replies.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
On "That Figure Skating Show"

Practice clips inside,
This is looking good :clap:

Official Press release from Skate Canada:

OTTAWA, ON: Vanessa James, 33, Scarborough, Ont., and Eric Radford, 36, Balmertown, Ont., have formed a new skating partnership and will compete for Canada in the pairs discipline this coming season. Both skaters have previously competed internationally with different partners, James representing France and Radford on the Canadian national team.

“Partnering up with Eric is a very exciting career opportunity. I am looking forward to a season full of inspiration, joy and personal growth,” said Vanessa James. “We’re both very much looking forward to this new chapter in our lives.”

“I’m looking forward to this new partnership with Vanessa and getting back on the ice and doing what we love,” said Eric Radford. “Vanessa and I are thrilled to have the opportunity to represent Canada this coming season and are looking forward to see what the future holds for our partnership.”

James and Radford both did not compete this season. James, with her previous skating partner Morgan Ciprés, is the 2019 European Champion, the 2018 World bronze medallist in the pairs event, and represented France at the 2014 and 2018 Winter Olympics. James and Ciprés announced their retirement in September 2019. Radford, with his previous skating partner Meagan Duhamel, is a two-time World pair champion (2015, 2016), a 2018 Olympic gold medallist in the team event, a 2018 Olympic bronze medallist in the pairs event, and a seven-time Canadian national champion (2012-18). Duhamel and Radford announced their retirement in April 2018.

This coming season, James and Radford will be training in Quebec coached by Julie Marcotte, and the pair team looks forward to representing Canada at international events.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Does Vanessa have dual citizenship? Will they be able to skate in the Olympics? I believe the teams have already been chosen, right?

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still feel bad for Meagan, she can no longer skate in shows without her former partner. They were supposed to be part of SOI Canada in the fall tour.

And this may not be good for Evelyn and Trennt's chances for the second spot. Eric was their choreographer, btw.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Does Vanessa have dual citizenship? Will they be able to skate in the Olympics? I believe the teams have already been chosen, right?
If you mean the Olympic team, no, that hasn’t been chosen.

Vanessa was born in Scarborough, so she has been a Canadian citizen since birth, in addition to British (also since birth) and French (by naturalization).

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Absolutely the BEST news!!
Wonder if Erik will compose music for their programs in future since Storm is such a success for Kamila .. how exciting that would be!!

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
Yes. Well technically no - but she has triple citizenship. She was born in Canada.

Yes. If they're chosen. She's been released from the French Fed.

No. No team has been chosen 10 months away from the Olympics. That would be absurd.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very happy for both skaters! With Duhamel contemplating another baby, this gives Radford a chance to address that new competitive itch he has. James can now move forward and close the chapter on a forced retirement and tie up any loose ends in what she feels is unfinished business.

Last edited:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
They look good together! I didn't know Vanessa was born in Canada.

Ziotic

Medalist
Are they eligible for GP other than host?
I know there are clauses for comeback skaters, do either qualify the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.