Jason Brown to be coached by Brian Orser | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown to be coached by Brian Orser

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Wow! I'm super psyched for this. This isn't a move I imagined would happen, but I'm glad for the promise it shows for Jason's future. Like others have said, Jason wouldn't make this move if he wasn't serious about moving up the rankings, and Brian wouldn't have taken him if he didn't think that was possible. Really excited for the next season!

There have been so many coaching changes this off-season... is this common? Is there usually a trend of skaters flocking to the OGM's coaches after the Olympics? Or this many, at least? I wasn't paying close attention to things like coaching after Sochi ...

OutsideEdge

Rinkside
I'm so excited for Jason! He's such a beautiful skater. He deserves a chance to try to improve his jumps and put it all together. I, for one, would love to see it. Not that I expect TCC to work miracles on every skater they picked up this year, mind you, but the opportunity for improvement is exciting. And good choreo!!

Also, between Jason and Boyang, TCC is just collecting rays of sunshine, goodness. :love:

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Now if a ladies skater could go up there.

I'm already getting worried about Gabrielle and Elizabet. They had kind of lackluster seasons this year, and I hope that they're not going to get pushed further into the background with all this concentrated star power descending on the club ...

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm already getting worried about Gabrielle and Elizabet. They had kind of lackluster seasons this year, and I hope that they're not going to get pushed further into the background with all this concentrated star power descending on the club ...
Gabby’s primary coach is Lee Barkell, not Orser, so that’s less of a concern for her, I think.

Maybe she should also hope that whatever nationalistic impulses Orser has will keep him from overlooking the only successful Canadian senior he has.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think this is a wise move for Jason. Just being in the same rink with all that talent is going to motivate him. I've said many times that my time in Russia was the greatest thing that ever happened to my dancing. Sometimes, you need a new environment for some extra motivation and if Jason is going to continue, he needs something new to keep up with the young guns. Nathan, Vincent, Alexei, and Camden are all looking good.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Gabby’s primary coach is Lee Barkell, not Orser, so that’s less of a concern for her, I think.

Maybe she should also hope that whatever nationalistic impulses Orser has will keep him from overlooking the only successful Canadian senior he has.

My hope, too. I'm hoping that BOrser liked sitting in Team Canada's kiss and cry when they won the Team Gold so much that he gets inspired to get more involved with that for Beijing ... :)

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
BOrser does have Gogolev, and although he can’t be senior for another two years he’s VERY promising, and I’d hedge my bets on him for Beijing. But boy, TCC is gonna be full of energy now.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Imagine all days staring at these quads after quads after quads... like as if they are nothing, how is it not natural to eventually grew quads even for Brown?

May be that is the psychology behind the US fed.

(Otherwise it may benefit the likes of BYJ more, seeing how one earns PCS.)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
There have been so many coaching changes this off-season... is this common? Is there usually a trend of skaters flocking to the OGM's coaches after the Olympics? Or this many, at least?

Yes, and yes. At least it is always pretty common in ice dance.

schizoanalyst

Medalist
Good for him for finally making the jump from Kori - it should have happened years ago when it might’ve made a significant difference - but I have to wonder what he’s trying to achieve with this exactly.

Is he trying to get the technical goods to be at an elite level? Because even with the reduced BV of quads, you will not be capable of winning any significant titles without multiple quads. At this point not only does he not have a single quad, his axel is struggling and now, this season, even his 3-3 has become unreliable - and he’s approaching 24. It is simply unrealistic to expect the technical growth needed to approach competitive results significantly beyond what he has achieved previously in his career. I mean, is the goal here just to get him back onto the US Nationals podium? If the pivot is artistic, I don’t think that’s a compelling reason to jump to Orser. Orser is good at polishing and building a skater’s confidence - but that’s distinct from artistry and there is little evidence Orser is particularly capable of delivering significant artistic growth.

The only substantial advantage I see to switching to Orser rather than just a generically superior tech coach+building a different relationship with an artistic team is Orser holds significantly more political sway internationally that Kori Ade.

But I’ll be happy to be proven wrong and wish him the best still.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Imagine all days staring at these quads after quads after quads... like as if they are nothing, how is it not natural to eventually grew quads even for Brown?

May be that is the psychology behind the US fed.

(Otherwise it may benefit the likes of BJY more, seeing how one earns PCS.)

I completely agree with this.....

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

And that will be one of Jason's primary coaches too, Brian stated he will oversee things, but Jason will be a "group effort." or something of the sort and stated Barkell and T Wilson. :biggrin:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just to reiterate what Brian and Jason have said, (I know I don’t like to read through pages of posts, so a summary can be helpful).

Brian and Tracy will be Jason’s head coaches. The “team approach” employed with Jason, from what has been described publicly, is no different than the team approach which Brian has described over the years as the modus operandi of TCC.

In fact, Tracy was instrumental in convincing that Brian that Jason would be a good fit at TCC and Brian specifically made the room necessary for Jason to train there in response to Tracy.

Lee Barkell, or any other TCC coach, will have no greater role in Jason’s coaching other than as a TCC coach normally would; he (ETA: Lee) will not be Jason’s coach à la Gabby Daleman.

Just thrilled that Jason will be part of the team coaching and team skating experience that TCC offers,:clap:

and that all the folks who said, oh, Brian would never be interested .... heheheheheh:laugh:

Warwick360

Medalist
I :luv17: that this is the opening quote from Brian:

Orser told International Figure Skating that Brown’s former coach, Kori Ade, supports this change. “I am good friends with Kori and she has given this arrangement her blessing,” Orser said. “She did a lot of good things with Jason and I told her we are going to keep this relationship open. There may be times when I need to call her to get some advice. Kori is a very good teacher and Jason was with her from the beginning of his skating career (18 years).”

Class acts, all around. :)

As compared to, "let me show the watsapp messages to the entire world". :devil:

formersk8ter

On the Ice
I'm over the moon about this new coaching and training environment for Jason.

Jason has always had incredible talent... how many of us have wondered how competitive Jason could be with competitive jump content? I know I have. Certainly, it won't be easy... Jason will need at least two different types of clean quads, a consistent (and reworked) 3A and a clean lutz (he's had a flutz all year) to make a dent internationally, and he's got domestic competition not only from Nathan and Vincent, but hungry up and comers like Alexei Krasnozhon and Tomoki Hiwatashi.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a renewed Jason and wish him all the best in this endeavor!