Jason Brown to be coached by Brian Orser | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown to be coached by Brian Orser

yude

Record Breaker
Yuzuru happened to talk about both Boyang and Jason here, it was in press con at worlds 2017. It starts around 1:40 about Jason.

https://twitter.com/nyapippi/status/1001624572297281537

"I think everyone will come to do a lot of things...but as looking back on this competition, in SP, Jason Brown was ranked at that place without quad, he proved us it was possible to get such (high) score (without quad). In that sense, he showed us fun and interest of figure skating that the quad was not everything after all."

LadyB

Record Breaker
I also don't think Brian and his team would have accepted him if they didn't think he had the potential to improve.

I must admit, I was a bit surprised at first as I thought it might be a little too late for Jason to turn around and be a regular serious podium candidate. He's been around for quite some time... then again, if it makes sense for Brian and his team, which can really pick and choose, who am I to judge?
Best of luck to the entire Team Orser! How super exciting all those coach changes are.

I wonder whether, in a few years time, we'll end up with with just a handful of coaches running entire teams across the skating world. Some seem to be building up for that. Let's have another Team Challenge event! :)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
While it's great that Brian Orser is taking on all these wonderful skaters, I wish he would coach a few more "home grown" Canadian skaters. Come on Brian we need some help getting our men's field on top of their game again!

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
While it's great that Brian Orser is taking on all these wonderful skaters, I wish he would coach a few more "home grown" Canadian skaters. Come on Brian we need some help getting our men's field on top of their game again!

There's Gogolev. And also Conrad Orzel.

Kelti

Rinkside
Wow, exciting news for Jason. I think he will be a great team member at the cricket club.
Last season has been such a tough one for him, looking forward to his fresh start heading into the new cycle.
I love how Jason and Brian reference back to Kori for the great work she's done with Jason, I've been thinking for a few season that Jason needed to relocate and expand but one cannot deny the great foundation that Kori has taught him not only as a skater but as a person. Glad to know they will be staying in touch.

Good luck Jason, I look forward to your collab with David Wilson!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Just to reiterate what Brian and Jason have said, (I know I don’t like to read through pages of posts, so a summary can be helpful).

Brian and Tracy will be Jason’s head coaches. The “team approach” employed with Jason, from what has been described publicly, is no different than the team approach which Brian has described over the years as the modus operandi of TCC.

In fact, Tracy was instrumental in convincing that Brian that Jason would be a good fit at TCC and Brian specifically made the room necessary for Jason to train there in response to Tracy.

Lee Barkell, or any other TCC coach, will have no greater role in Jason’s coaching other than as a TCC coach normally would; he (ETA: Lee) will not be Jason’s coach à la Gabby Daleman.

Just thrilled that Jason will be part of the team coaching and team skating experience that TCC offers,:clap:

and that all the folks who said, oh, Brian would never be interested .... heheheheheh:laugh:

I think that team aspect of that move is a very important feature for Jason. He seems to be in a place at the moment that requires input and insight of different people - and his needs vary too in my opinion. Having team around can be very beneficiary and motivate him to work on various aspects of his skating, not only jumping - some things need polish, some need rework, some need to be developed. There is no guarantee that everything will go smoothly and successfully, but with multiple people involved there is a chance of progress in different areas altogether.

There also goes Wilson's input/influence over Jason's programs - for me, it will be very interesting to see the direction they will go with, how David will facilitate Jason's ability as a performer and his qualities like musicality and expression. In general, Toronto and being in Orser's camp can potentially give Jason many impulses for work and direction where he wants to go with his career.

synteis

Medalist
Like with Med and Boyang, I'm really interested to see what kind of programs Jason starts putting out, particularly in the choreography.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Very exciting news, really this is the best off season ever!

So the latest additions to the club could not have been more different - Boyang lacks in PCS but has all the technical goods, and Jason is just other way around. Could be more difficult for Jason though?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw an Instagram post that had Yuzuru, Jason, Javi, and Boyang in them and it said #CricketClub. I was like "WHAT?!" And then I went onto here and sure enough wow.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Very exciting news, really this is the best off season ever!

So the latest additions to the club could not have been more different - Boyang lacks in PCS but has all the technical goods, and Jason is just other way around. Could be more difficult for Jason though?

It depends on perspective I think. Immediately, it can be difficult - the whole new environment, new team, new skaters to be around, new plan and new reality to wake up and compete to. There sure will adjustment period for both sides and some time is required to develop pattern that will work. Jason, after all these years under Kori and Rohene, was used to certain routine, method, approach taken towards his skating and competing and this will be all changed from now; it will take efforts and persistence to work out kinks, but in long term it could be an exciting and effective situation. I think that Jason's individuality will be maintained and respected in Toronto while searching for this optimal route.

Tutto

Record Breaker
It depends on perspective I think. Immediately, it can be difficult - the whole new environment, new team, new skaters to be around, new plan and new reality to wake up and compete to. There sure will adjustment period for both sides and some time is required to develop pattern that will work. Jason, after all these years under Kori and Rohene, was used to certain routine, method, approach taken towards his skating and competing and this will be all changed from now; it will take efforts and persistence to work out kinks, but in long term it could be an exciting and effective situation. I think that Jason's individuality will be maintained and respected in Toronto while searching for this optimal route.

TBH I was thinking more in the lines of what would be more difficult - to overcome tech issues such as Jason's - get quads & consistency on jumps in general - and it does seem harder if not impossible (considering he is not 18 - no disrespect)
Having said that to improve SS dramatically could be equally hard, as it something that has to be worked on consistently over a long period of time, ideally from the basics up
Wishing both skaters well and looking forward to seeing new dynamics in the K&C! (especially in Jason's case :))

BTW there is a wild speculation floating on Russian forums that the Russian Fed was pushing Kolyada to go to Orser but that he refused but agreed on internship with Raf instead, but I refuse to believe it!

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
BTW there is a wild speculation floating on Russian forums that the Russian Fed was pushing Kolyada to go to Orser but that he refused but agreed on internship with Raf instead, but I refuse to believe it!

Orser refused or Mikhail refused? I think Raf is a good choice for Mikhail, though, not only due to the shared Russian language but also because of the help with jumps Mikhail is likely looking for.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Orser refused or Mikhail refused? I think Raf is a good choice for Mikhail, though, not only due to the shared Russian language but also because of the help with jumps Mikhail is likely looking for.

Mika refused. And it seems to me he is looking not so much for help with jumps as such -he got one of the best jump techniques out there but for the ways to improve his consistency on jumps, on quads to be precise. Sorry for off-topic

TGee

Record Breaker
Brian made it pretty clear that taking on Jason was a bit of an exceptional situation...

First, Brian's initial position was that the Cricket team had room for 1-2 more elite seniors.

Evgenia was first in being announced, with Boyang seeming to involve a longer negotiation or decision process.

Given that both were on the OG podium ...others would need to be an exceptional fit to get in.

Brian said that the decision was based on how well Jason fit in the environment (i.e. temperament and comportment), and Tracy's really going to bat to convince the team to take Jason on. But all this was based the TCC's experience with Jason during a period where Jason came to TCC for a bit earlier in the spring.

So, it could be that Mikhail would have needed to explore something sooner with TCC....or perhaps his time with Raf is an exploration of fit there.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Surprising news... As Hanyu and Fernandez were working together at TCC Orser was the main coach and Wilson was the second coach. It is really team work there, so I have understood of a posting on FSU that regarding Brown it will be the same on paper, but he will be working with Preston and Barkell as well.

deedee1

Record Breaker
:shocked::shocked::shocked: What's going on?! It seems everybody rushing to either BOrser or MF-Patrice. :drama:
Anyway best of luck to Jason and Boyang! :cheer::cheer:

Phil Hersh said on twitter according to Brian Jason's coaching will be a 'team effort' between himself, Tracy Wilson, Karen Preston and Lee Barkell.

Brain will be very busy, though his priority is still Yuzu. I hope Lee Barkell will be the main coach for Jason, thus he's going to get fully supervised/attention during trainings and at competitions. :)

'A contented mind is a perpetual feast.', or 'Bottomless greed' :coffee:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I think it's safe to assume Yuzu (and probably Med, and to a lesser extent maybe Boyang) will be Brian's top priorities initially. But that doesn't mean Jason is just an afterthought- I'm sure Brian will work with him seriously too. I think Jason will really benefit from the team approach- he's had one major coach his entire career, getting different input can only help. It also sounds like they work as a really cohesive team there. I also think not being the top skater will be a benefit to Jason- it's a completely different environment. And again- I really don't think Brian would take him on at all if he didn't think he could improve.

That said, I really liked the comment he made about Jason's energy being great to have around the rink. I think that will be a positive influence on the other skaters there more than anything else Jason does.