Jason Brown | Page 636 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Jayde7

Spectator
Something that I noticed was that Jason definitely had more stuffed animals thrown on the ice than the others. A few of the little girls were having problems carrying it all back off the ice!

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I need to remember:

After the LP at Nats last year, I was of course heartbroken.
This LP, Jason tried it, didn’t get it, and fought for the rest of the program like the Jason we know and love:hap10:

One niggling complaint: why did Steve and Marla work so hard to get that bowling shirt back:laugh: (jk)

ETA: my autocorrect continually substitutes Japan for Jason. Hmmmmmm;)

I think the costume that he left behind was the short program costume. I don't think the FS costume was missing. They apparently got it to him 10 minutes after the SP warmup started, so he managed to get into it in time. And skate beautifully! Jason's parents deserve a gold medal!

Ross74

Medalist
So Jason didn't listen to me and didn't skip the quad. :angry1: just kidding... I'm very happy he made the World team and will have more chances to compete his programs this season, but I really wanted 2nd for him. For those who have watched his other LPs closely this season, how did this one compare? And what's with the pop? Is that purely a mental thing? I'm trying to convince myself that this LP isn't just doomed because I don't like the music and because I don't think it energizes him, so somebody please talk me out of this. I read there was an invalid spin. What was that about?

Congrats, Jason, on a successful Nationals!

I'm excited that we will (hopefully) see him again in just a couple of weeks.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
So Jason didn't listen to me and didn't skip the quad. :angry1: just kidding... I'm very happy he made the World team and will have more chances to compete his programs this season, but I really wanted 2nd for him. For those who have watched his other LPs closely this season, how did this one compare? And what's with the pop? Is that purely a mental thing? I'm trying to convince myself that this LP isn't just doomed because I don't like the music and because I don't think it energizes him, so somebody please talk me out of this. I read there was an invalid spin. What was that about?

Congrats, Jason, on a successful Nationals!

I'm excited that we will (hopefully) see him again in just a couple of weeks.

I would say he’s made huge strides with the program, but in each of the last 3 programs (including today) he’s popped several jumps. He apparently said in the post game or press conference or whatever that the quad in practice is 5-6-7 times better than in competition.

https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1089667638614204417?s=21

If that’s true, I’m not sure why they don’t wait. And I wonder why he keeps popping- is he afraid after that awful fall at Nats so he pops instead? Probably not.

He’s on 4CC and Worlds teams!

noskates

Record Breaker
I was very proud of Jason today and even after a short time you can see that the coaching change has made a difference in his jumping. He should have bested Vincent - if only he hadn't popped the jump and doubled the other. But - he was confident, he looked good, and I was surprised that the commentators were so complimentary. Nathan is in another world but Vincent is beatable!!

And as much as I miss the ponytail, this is a more mature look on Jason.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think it's good he keeps it because eventually it will click. Look how many times Yuzu popped or fell on his 4S during the 2014 Olympic season.

Obviously last's year's nationals FS was very much on his mind and I think contributed to the mistakes, including the strange ones on his spins. But he fought and got most of the jumps -- a 1S and a 2S aren't the end of the world. Now he has that behind him -- he mentioned to Tracy in the K&C how much of a fight that was -- I think he'll feel so much more ease going forward.

The Olympic Channel had an IG segment with Jason. It's really good and actually has new stuff regarding all the changes he made.
Someone recorded it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48LCEkj5IRc&t=8s

Last edited:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I think it's good he keeps it because eventually it will click. Look how many times Yuzu popped or fell on his 4S during the 2014 Olympic season.

Obviously last's year's nationals FS was very much on his mind and I think contributed to the mistakes, including the strange ones on his spins. But he fought and got most of the jumps -- a 1S and a 2S aren't the end of the world. Now he has that behind him -- he mentioned to Tracy in the K&C how much of a fight that was -- I think he'll feel so much more ease going forward.

The Olympic Channel had an IG segment with Jason. It's really good and actually has new stuff regarding all the change she made.

I liked this interview too. He was level headed about the quad and the stuff about wanting to impress Brian was pretty funny.

I think Nationals last year was definitely on his mind- he definitely looked tentative but didn't back down. The popped quad is likely what messed up the timing on the 3S. I don't think he's popped the triple sal all year? Either way- the important thing is that he is going to 4CC and Worlds.

rosacotton

Final Flight
Congrats on your medal Jason!

After Nationals last year, I view this as a big step in the right direction. So thrilled he gets to go to 4CCs and Worlds. :agree:

ribbit

On the Ice
I would say he’s made huge strides with the program, but in each of the last 3 programs (including today) he’s popped several jumps. He apparently said in the post game or press conference or whatever that the quad in practice is 5-6-7 times better than in competition.

https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1089667638614204417?s=21

If that’s true, I’m not sure why they don’t wait. And I wonder why he keeps popping- is he afraid after that awful fall at Nats so he pops instead? Probably not.

I remember Jason saying in one of the many interviews recently posted in this fan fest--I'm sorry I can't remember which--that in competition and other pressure-filled situations (I think Champs Camp was the other one he mentioned) he has to fight himself not to revert to his old technique. Sometimes those clashes of brain and muscle memory, or old and new muscle memory, result in pops or falls. I know I've read similar comments from other skaters who have worked to change their technique, and it makes sense to me that in the situations in which you most want to trust your training and not overthink your performance, it would be your oldest--your most deeply ingrained--technique that would rise to the surface.

Presumably the logic is the same as the logic behind putting a Lutz in Zhenya's SP and two in her LP this season: create as many opportunities as possible to perform your new technique in those pressure-filled situations, as a way of reinforcing new muscle memory and training your brain (as much as your body) to think of that new technique as instinctual. I'd imagine that waiting would actually reinforce the split between "in practice I do it this way" and "in competition I do it that way".

As a fellow Jason fan, I can't wait for the day that the new muscle memories and learned instincts take over and he starts landing those beautiful quads in competition!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Jason on winning the Bronze Medal! So happy for him that he made the podium and will be going to Worlds!

Tavi...

Record Breaker

The Olympic Channel had an IG segment with Jason. It's really good and actually has new stuff regarding all the changes he made.

Thank you, I loved that - Meryl is really a good interviewer, and I loved the questions she asked. It’s good to get the back story on the murder face! And the Yuzu story at the end!

I’m glad he got through this okay. It wasn’t perfect, but he met his goal - and Brian’s goal for him - to be on the World Team. I know a lot of people thought - oh last year, he’s put it behind him - but I kinda had the feeling it wasn’t something he’d fully laid to rest yet. I think that the super high SP score - and being on the podium and going to Worlds - has probably done it.

Anyway, I’m glad he did well and look forward to see him live in FS at 4CCs!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
loved the interview. Some was known, but some was not, and

Brian : "That was generous":roll5:

:rofl:

(It's worth watching the interview for the story, around minute 10?, if you haven't already)

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Something that I noticed was that Jason definitely had more stuffed animals thrown on the ice than the others. A few of the little girls were having problems carrying it all back off the ice!

That´s because he donates all to Ronald McDonald houses and goes personally there to meet sick children. He does it also at international competitions, if the country has got that house. Finland 2017: https://www.skatingfinland.fi/ajankohtaista/tapahtumat/minne-kaikki-pehmot-menevat/

Watch

Final Flight
Congrats to Jason! The quad's not there yet, but one can already see that the coaching change and the hard work he's putting in are paying off. You're gonna get there!

And btw, him and Tracy at the K&C are a joy. Great chemistry between the two.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Given that Jason and his team waited this season until the all important Nationals to include the quad, I wonder if we will see more competition quads from him, in all their variations, going forward. Kind of makes sense to include it regularly now so he can get the sense of it in competition though I will be a nervous wreck until he lands it in comps with any kind of consistency. He and his team could have left it out this time and Jason may have come away with silver but that would not have been progress in my view. But he included it, made mistakes, got the bronze and his spot at 4CC and Worlds, and, most importantly, he acquired a sense of connecting those successful jumps in practice with those attempts in comps... Brian will guide him through that process. Look foward to his next comp with anticipation! !