Jason Brown | Page 878 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Ross74

Medalist
I don't recall any commentary when I watched FD, but I can't remember if I watched live or on the replay. It's been a very busy week! SKAM seems like a long time ago. I'll check out the replay.
It wasn't that way for the entire FD. From what I remember, it started out normally but then it blacked out like the signal was lost, and when it came back it had the NBC feed. Maybe just a glitch.

sdwyer52

On the Ice
Even when Peacock switched to the NBC commentary for whatever reason during the Skam FD, even though it was Tanith, it still bothered me because there was talk during the dance.
I don’t like any commentary when the skater is performing. Johnny is the best in the US for the men because at least he is familiar with the skaters and knowledgeable.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Johnny and Tara were brilliant and informative in Sochi when they were not on NBCs radar. When they got bumped up to primary commentators, we all knew NBC would ruin them. But NBC pays their salaries, not us, so now they pander to people who know nothing about figure skating and have to create stars. It's a shame, but it's the way it is. I do like Tanith and when he gets a gig, Charlie and Ben Agosto. But talking during the skate is required by NBC. Silence is not permitted. They have to say something. So I hope Peacock stays commentator free.

Dpbthomas1

On the Ice
I heard Mark Hanretty’s commentary for the first time last year during Worlds. I thought he was great and really informative. He spoke some during the skating, but not too much, and I found his commentary positive and somewhat educational.

Most other commentators drive me crazy. 😀

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Johnny and Tara were brilliant and informative in Sochi when they were not on NBCs radar.
No, they weren't. A lot of people forgot because they were only horrible to the smaller-country skaters. I haven't forgotten that Weir called O'Brien/Merriman "snails", or that their crew sneered at Brooklee's citizenship.

Anyway, luckily I will be able to see Jason without too many glitches, since SBS will be live-streaming Skate Canada and the rest of the GPs.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
No, they weren't. A lot of people forgot because they were only horrible to the smaller-country skaters. I haven't forgotten that Weir called O'Brien/Merriman "snails", or that their crew sneered at Brooklee's citizenship.

Anyway, luckily I will be able to see Jason without too many glitches, since SBS will be live-streaming Skate Canada and the rest of the GPs.
You're right that I don't remember any of that. I didn't notice at the time. That certainly wasn't nice, but they are equal opportunity snarks now unless NBC tells them not to be. I remember some really snarky remarks about Jason post Sochi but before he didn't make the 2018 team. Then the snarky remarks stopped. I assumed that NBC told them not to be snarky about Team USA skaters. I am quite happy about the lack of comment on Peacock and hope it stays that way through the GPs. I doubt that we'll escape during the Olympics.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason modeling for a Ralph Lauren Olympic wear sponsorship :)

The sweater doesn't look half bad for Olympic promo wear, but I have nowhere to wear it.
:biggrin:

sdwyer52

On the Ice

I wonder if Peacock will show practice for Skate CA.

noskates

Record Breaker
El beat me to it, I was just coming in here with the Ralph Lauren pictures. Interesting, isn't it, that Jason was chosen as the model for figure skating. I guess his devotion to all things USA is well-known. I think the jackets are awesome but, yeah, I wouldn't know where to wear that sweater.

I really like Johnny's commentary. He's knowledgeable, explains the intricacies of jumps, tells why a jump failed, and speaks with authority. I don't mind his snarkiness and am not that sensitive to it. What I DO hate is Tara's lack of current skating knowledge other than she harps on and on about quads!!! And the fact that she likes to hear herself talk. I think the very worst commentator was Peter Carruthers who would forget what he was saying in the middle of a sentence. As far as comments made about Jason in the past, there was a brief time when he wasn't considered relevant because he didn't have the quad and he wasn't getting the scores. He has obviously won over the doubters with his beautiful skating and has brought people back to what figure skating should be. There is a need for skaters like Jason if the sport is to remain aesthetically pleasing and not just a jump fest. That's only my opinion of course. :biggrin:

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Jason modeling for a Ralph Lauren Olympic wear sponsorship :)

The sweater doesn't look half bad for Olympic promo wear, but I have nowhere to wear it.
:biggrin:

I love seeing him involved in promo but it makes me slight fearful of how he would feel if the horrendous situation of not being selected for the team happened. BUT ANYWAY THAT ISN’T GOING TO HAPPEN so let’s just enjoy all this glorious media presence.
Also, this is me again being super cynical, Jason coming out probably helps with his profile as lots of companies are looking to tick diversity boxes and Jason now fits the LGBTQ+ category. Of course I think he’s an incredible human being and hope he was selected on the basis of his attributes as a person and an athlete, but one can never be too sure. If anything, I don’t think coming out will have hindered his public image.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
El beat me to it, I was just coming in here with the Ralph Lauren pictures. Interesting, isn't it, that Jason was chosen as the model for figure skating. I guess his devotion to all things USA is well-known. I think the jackets are awesome but, yeah, I wouldn't know where to wear that sweater.

I really like Johnny's commentary. He's knowledgeable, explains the intricacies of jumps, tells why a jump failed, and speaks with authority. I don't mind his snarkiness and am not that sensitive to it. What I DO hate is Tara's lack of current skating knowledge other than she harps on and on about quads!!! And the fact that she likes to hear herself talk. I think the very worst commentator was Peter Carruthers who would forget what he was saying in the middle of a sentence. As far as comments made about Jason in the past, there was a brief time when he wasn't considered relevant because he didn't have the quad and he wasn't getting the scores. He has obviously won over the doubters with his beautiful skating and has brought people back to what figure skating should be. There is a need for skaters like Jason if the sport is to remain aesthetically pleasing and not just a jump fest. That's only my opinion of course. :biggrin:

Hanging out with the contractors in my house, I have time to scroll through social media and post. And not enough brain power to do anything else:LOL:. I agree Johnny is not as annoying to me as he was in the past, he has actually made supportive and relevant comments about Jason (It's not easy to do what Jason does). Peter Carruthers.... I liked Peter and Kitty when they were skating. And that's all I'll say . ;)
I love seeing him involved in promo but it makes me slight fearful of how he would feel if the horrendous situation of not being selected for the team happened. BUT ANYWAY THAT ISN’T GOING TO HAPPEN so let’s just enjoy all this glorious media presence.
Also, this is me again being super cynical, Jason coming out probably helps with his profile as lots of companies are looking to tick diversity boxes and Jason now fits the LGBTQ+ category. Of course I think he’s an incredible human being and hope he was selected on the basis of his attributes as a person and an athlete, but one can never be too sure. If anything, I don’t think coming out will have hindered his public image.

Of course, any sight of Jason in Olympic gear, ahead of the actual event, will cause PTSD from 2018 to Jason fans. I have no idea why Jason got the sponsorship, but if part of it is related to his LGBTQ+ identity, I'm not sure it could be reduced to "checking boxes". Clearly they valued diversity for their photo shoot, and if Jason is part of that, so much the better.:)

In any event, I know we're all happy to see his smiling face. :biggrin:

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I would guess Jason's business management team at Stoked was involved in his paid partnership with Ralph Lauren (and his increased media presence). They represent high level athletes (including gold medal Olympians).

I'm another who thinks no commentary is the best commentary. If there has to be some I prefer minimal to no talking during the skate and insightful comments afterward. Mark Hanretty and Ted Barton are my current favorites.

Last edited:

sdwyer52

On the Ice

Agree. Jason has made all the skaters add choreography to their programs. He is an asset to the sport. He makes a good model too.