Jason Brown | Page 893 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

sdwyer52

On the Ice
El thanks for posting this! My mom used to listen to WGN all the time when I was a kid because she was a big Cubs fan!

I just listened to the full interview - it was good! The interviewer asked some really interesting questions and Jason gave thoughtful answers. Most of all I’m happy that he seems so relaxed and balanced - much more so than in 2018.

I do find it a bit odd that his choreography is still being tweaked, bc I thought repetition was key to muscle memory etc. But hopefully it’s working for him, and it seems like new 4S entry has worked and (I like that it’s shorter and not so telegraphed) so I guess tweaking has its place! 😂

Re whether he’ll stay in after this year: to me it sounds like he’s leaving it open as a possibility. I would guess that if he was sure this would be his last year he’d probably say something like that, or convey more strongly that he’s ready for the next phase in his life. Although he’s probably so focused on this season that he’s not thinking about it, so maybe not!

I do think it was interesting that this came up in the context of his competitiveness- ie that he is in between generations and the next generation is growing up doing many quads etc. So I’m guessing one of the things he’ll take into account when deciding whether to continue will be how long he can remain competitive with skaters like Yuma, Shun, Ilia etc. Right now he’s mostly not competitive at the very top - ie for World /Oly gold - but he still medals on the GP etc. I’m guessing he may not want to keep skating if he can no longer medal on the GP, but that just my guess and it remains to be seen when that would actually start happening.

Anyway I’m really looking forward to seeing him at Nats!

sdwyer52

On the Ice
I’m going to Nationals too. I hope it isn’t canceled. The world is so uncertain. I hope Jason gets out this winter in Toronto and has some fun.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'll be at Nats also. Hoping it happens and can be held safely. We're waiting for directives on what safety measures are being taken. Would love to meet up with anyone else who is going if that is possible.

Ross74

Medalist
Just listened to the rest of the WGN interview - it's good! I l like the question about the Covid security precautions at competitions and how safe he feels. Also, in response to the question concerning his coming-out post, I liked Jason's story about his mom being approached by someone in the grocery store who mentioned how much they liked this post, and Jason's mom had no idea what she was talking about. Sometimes his family seems so low-key. :)

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Just listened to the rest of the WGN interview - it's good! I l like the question about the Covid security precautions at competitions and how safe he feels. Also, in response to the question concerning his coming-out post, I liked Jason's story about his mom being approached by someone in the grocery store who mentioned how much they liked this post, and Jason's mom had no idea what she was talking about. Sometimes his family seems so low-key. :)
He said at the time that he told his family that he was thinking of officially coming out. But I guess he didn't mention it when he actually did. That was funny.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He said at the time that he told his family that he was thinking of officially coming out. But I guess he didn't mention it when he actually did. That was funny.

I got a different impression from the interview. I think he did tell his family, it's just that his family didn't think it was that big a deal. So when someone came up to Marla and started gushing about the post, she had to think, what post was so important that someone is gushing like this?🤔

My favorite, or not favorite, part of the interview was "You will never see the same program twice, something is always different." I *want* to see the same program twice, (or more). :biggrin:

Ross74

Medalist
I got a different impression from the interview. I think he did tell his family, it's just that his family didn't think it was that big a deal. So when someone came up to Marla and started gushing about the post, she had to think, what post was so important that someone is gushing like this?🤔
That was my impression as well. I thought it was very cool. :)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason the model!

I especially like the first pic.

Does anyone remember that in 2014 he was superstitious and wouldn’t wear the Team USA Olympic stuff until they gave it to him officially? 😊

Yes, I do remember that story about not wearing the Olympic gear! Of course, Ralph Lauren was not paying him to wear the clothes before the Olympics either. :)

The first one is quite nice: Jason is positively sultry in some of these photos. Eight years ago, who'd a thunk it?

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I know these videos are awfully late (better late than never!), but I do have vids of Jason from CBC television's broadcast of the 2021 Skate Canada International with Kurt Browing as the commentator. (Please note that this is the only GP event which CBC aired this season.)

2021 SCI SP (CBC TV 720p) :

2021 SCI LP (CBC TV 720p) :

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
I love Kurt - obviously - and I'm glad he's giving Jason his due. That means a lot to me as the first time I met Jason in person I told him my all-time favorite skater was Kurt Browning but that he, Jason, was fast taking over that spot!!! (he blushed!)

sdwyer52

On the Ice
I know these videos are awfully late (better late than never!), but I do have vids of Jason from CBC television's broadcast of the 2021 Skate Canada International with Kurt Browing as the commentator. (Please note that this is the only GP event which CBC aired this season, so there was no Canadian broadcast of the 2021 Internationaux de France, unfortunately.)

Thanks - these were great to see again.

Dpbthomas1

On the Ice
I know these videos are awfully late (better late than never!), but I do have vids of Jason from CBC television's broadcast of the 2021 Skate Canada International with Kurt Browing as the commentator. (Please note that this is the only GP event which CBC aired this season, so there was no Canadian broadcast of the 2021 Internationaux de France, unfortunately.)

Thanks so much for posting these! Loved hearing Kurt Browning‘s commentary. Love that he had so many great things to say about Jason’s skating. I have to agree with his comments about the long program … that it’s somber tone and choreography don’t show off Jason’s strengths. I wish Jason had a long program that was more upbeat, included more dance moves and change of direction like Kurt mentioned, or was choreographed by Rohene. Just a dream of mine. But rooting for Jason and SL even if mot my first choice.

Who is commentating with Kurt?
They do a much better job than our NBC commentators.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thanks so much for posting these! Loved hearing Kurt Browning‘s commentary. Love that he had so many great things to say about Jason’s skating. I have to agree with his comments about the long program … that it’s somber tone and choreography don’t show off Jason’s strengths. I wish Jason had a long program that was more upbeat, included more dance moves and change of direction like Kurt mentioned, or was choreographed by Rohene. Just a dream of mine. But rooting for Jason and SL even if mot my first choice.

Who is commentating with Kurt?
They do a much better job than our NBC commentators.
You're welcome, I'm glad that you appreciate the vids. :) I agree that a more upbeat program like the SP is a much stronger vehicle for Jason to display his incredible skating. 🤩

The other commentator is Brenda Irving.

It's too bad that CBC television barely has any figure skating coverage nowadays. :frown: I had to rely on the main NBC network for highlights of the GP series, and it just wasn't the same.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Since Sinnerman is upbeat tempo-wise, I feel SL
is it’s perfect counterpoint… never fails to bring tears and I watch not for the technical content but for the experience of it. I was at first a bit disappointed by the changes made in the program for this season but, in retrospect, I understand those changes going toward Olympics. Still, I am happy to have the original to watch when it suits just for the emotional intensity of it.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Since Sinnerman is upbeat tempo-wise, I feel SL
is it’s perfect counterpoint… never fails to bring tears and I watch not for the technical content but for the experience of it. I was at first a bit disappointed by the changes made in the program for this season but, in retrospect, I understand those changes going toward Olympics. Still, I am happy to have the original to watch when it suits just for the emotional intensity of it.
Watching it again yesterday, I was surprised at all the little details that are there and thought much more than the first time I saw this iteration that it is a strong counterpoint to Sinnerman. I think it will grow like his other programs have. It's one of the reasons I am bummed that he lost a competition this week. I think, more than maybe other skaters' programs, Jason's really need mileage to get the programs to where they can be.

Last edited: