Javier Fernandez | Page 171 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

DelRetiro

On the Ice
This Instagram post from Hielo Espanol mentions a bit of news about Javi's new programs for the Olympic season. The first paragraph goes over stuff we already know: for the SP he's bringing back old music with reworked choreography and for the FS he's going with a Spanish character known worldwide and not-traditional Spanish music. The second paragraph, however, says that Javi is working on more quads, although more quads are not his priority because he feels his programs are fine in terms of technical content.

So what does "more quads" mean? That he plans on adding a 2nd quad toe? Nah, that can't be it. Because the difference between a 2nd 4T and the 2nd 3A is just 1.8, he was pretty settled on sticking with three quads in the free skate. I have to think that it means he's working on the 4L, conceivably bringing his FS quad total to five, which is a huge difference in tech score. Of course, the quad loop(s) comes with a lot more risk, and as Javi says, he thinks his technical content is high enough to remain in medal contention as long as he skates clean. But I found it interesting that he's at least working on "more quads."

Last edited:

beki

Medalist
Honestly I'm relieved to hear that. Like it or not, the quad race is on, and I don't want him to get left behind. He's been a key player in adding them. It carries risk for everyone—but the greater the risk, the greater the reward. Yes, he's in medal contention no matter what. But controlling his own destiny is a good thing.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m very happy to hear that he is working on more quads as I would not like him to be technically too far behind compared to other top skaters.

DelRetiro

On the Ice
Honestly I'm relieved to hear that. Like it or not, the quad race is on, and I don't want him to get left behind. He's been a key player in adding them. It carries risk for everyone—but the greater the risk, the greater the reward. Yes, he's in medal contention no matter what. But controlling his own destiny is a good thing.

I was a bit relieved too. There's a lot of time between now and the beginning of the season. Javi reports that he's tried the 4L and landed it a few times but not consistently. He certainly doesn't sound confident in the jump. But in the booming quad era, when the mere semblance of a quad seems to be all the judges are interested in (forget GOE, URs, PCS - as long as it looks to the untrained eye that you did a quad), I am also worried that Javi might be "left behind." If he works on the 4L and decides against incorporating it into his programs, so be it because with two clean skates his tech content is indeed high enough to medal. But better to at least try for the 4L so that you know you left no stone unturned.

beki

Medalist
I feel like the Orser camp doesn't make a habit of promising things they can't deliver, or announcing prematurely. So if we are hearing about new quads, we have a good chance of actually seeing them. When Scott Hamilton interviewed Tracy Wilson, she said Javi and Yuzu spend every day aware of the ones chasing them. It's good to project confidence, but not be complacent. I don't think anyone wants to repeat the experience of Patrick in Sochi. And it's very true—the judges are not being discerning at all. It's obvious what they want.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Let's hope that "not makingit a priority" will make it also materialize. To get that OG medal (whatever colour) he might very well need it...

Japanese fans are apparently expecting Javi to perform his new SP in Fantasy on Ice - He has said that it is now done (apart from the costume), so it is a possibility. Many Japanese skaters introduce their new programs there and Javi did Black Betty in 2014 in a fairly close to final form. Which of course makes me wonder again about this bit that was posted by the Spanish documentary maker from Toronto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnwNoDUto0w (it is funny because the moves he does after the skipped jump and spin look spookily of Satan Takes a Holiday and Chaplin put together. Sort of "Best of Fernández" :laugh:) Chaplin redone with a better music cut and less standing and posing would be a welcome SP.

Then the Igloo Granada opening has been posted to YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rqDyySOg7o (Javi does Malaguena and Aerobics Class and does a little speech. Worth watching towards the end of the finale, becuase there is a major awwwww moment there.) Pictures at https://www.flickr.com/photos/129207563@N05/sets/72157680838370302/ He stayed in Granada until Saturday night to watch the Real game against Granada (https://twitter.com/evamagar99/status/860943153431535617). They apparently love to interview the figure skater on matters relating to football.

And I just wish that the tourist guides to Madrid would all be Javi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcDeU43ZZFg (I think they've sat a year on this, because I remember seeing the clothes in pictures last spring).

This must be the most low-key week in Spain for him in years - apart from the obvious summer holiday weeks. He might be watching (or even playing?!) golf next weekend in a charity tournament based on this greeting he made for them during IceChips (https://twitter.com/LasCaldasGolf/status/852198820180103168) and then there is the second medal on the 15th. Hope he really can spend the week with family and friends!

E

tzazu

Medalist
Japanese fans are apparently expecting Javi to perform his new SP in Fantasy on Ice - He has said that it is now done (apart from the costume), so it is a possibility. Many Japanese skaters introduce their new programs there and Javi did Black Betty in 2014 in a fairly close to final form. Which of course makes me wonder again about this bit that was posted by the Spanish documentary maker from Toronto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnwNoDUto0w (it is funny because the moves he does after the skipped jump and spin look spookily of Satan Takes a Holiday and Chaplin put together. Sort of "Best of Fernández" :laugh:) Chaplin redone with a better music cut and less standing and posing would be a welcome SP.

E

That would be great!:hap85:

beki

Medalist
Because I was curious about the old music Javi will be revisiting, I watched a couple of old programs, I Love Paris and Zorro. I forgot how much I liked these; they really hold up. I don't know if there's any unfinished business there.

DelRetiro

On the Ice
Here are some photos I took of Javi at World's in Helsinki...

YesWay, thank you for posting the pix. They are awesome!!

Here are a couple of great posts to Javi's Instagram in case some fans here missed them. First is a pic of Javi standing in front of the Spanish coat of arms the day he received the Medalla de Oro from the Community of Madrid.

Second is Javi at the men's final of the Mutua Madrid Open, the biggest tennis tournament in Spain. Since tennis is so popular and since Rafa Nadal was playing, a seat to the final must have been a very tough ticket. But there's Javi, in what appears to be the first row! It's great to see that at least in his own country, Javi is a superstar.

jcoates

Medalist
Second is Javi at the men's final of the Mutua Madrid Open, the biggest tennis tournament in Spain. Since tennis is so popular and since Rafa Nadal was playing, a seat to the final must have been a very tough ticket. But there's Javi, in what appears to be the first row! It's great to see that at least in his own country, Javi is a superstar.

That tournament makes a habit of placing Spanish sports stars in those seats. So seeing Javi literally front and center during the final was a real treat.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Well if Javi is revisiting a program for this season I would really love to see his I Love Paris/Petit Fleur SP again. This was the SP that made me a fan. I love the straighline StSq in this one. If he can improve it even more then that'd be wonderful. As for the Chaplin, I'd rather not see this iconic program used again. That idea has passed. Honestly he should have kept Chaplin for Sochi instead of that I daresay forgettable LP. I honestly thought he would have won Sochi with that that program. That may not have been as difficult as his best LP Guys and Dolls but it certainly had the best emotional impact.

DelRetiro

On the Ice
Well if Javi is revisiting a program for this season I would really love to see his I Love Paris/Petit Fleur SP again. This was the SP that made me a fan. I love the straighline StSq in this one. If he can improve it even more then that'd be wonderful. As for the Chaplin, I'd rather not see this iconic program used again. That idea has passed. Honestly he should have kept Chaplin for Sochi instead of that I daresay forgettable LP. I honestly thought he would have won Sochi with that that program. That may not have been as difficult as his best LP Guys and Dolls but it certainly had the best emotional impact.

Thank goodness for YouTube! As a once-dormant figure skating fan who only recently discovered Javi, I am so happy to be able to watch his old programs by just a simple search on YouTube. I love the I Love Paris/Petit Fleur SP too. The music is perfect for Javi's carefree style and natural charisma.

DelRetiro

On the Ice
And I just wish that the tourist guides to Madrid would all be Javi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcDeU43ZZFg (I think they've sat a year on this, because I remember seeing the clothes in pictures last spring).

Your assumption must be correct because in the video, Javi introduces himself as two-time world champion and four-time European champion. If this vid were shot spring of 2017, Javi would have said "five-time European champion," so it must have been shot spring of 2016.