Javier Fernandez | Page 30 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Thanks, gallavich! I'm still reading the interview - I'm at the point where he's talking about Euros' and being so tired in the free skate, and not knowing quite why that was... Am I misremembering or did Sergei not also mention that many of them were tired in the free skate?

He did...as I recall, he said that he thought they would have been better off without a rest day between the short & free skate. Maybe the adrenalin ran out or something, I don't know...just hope they won't have the same problem at Worlds.

I lol'ed at the part about Miki not watching his programs, too. As a fan it's hard enough (there are a few guys who give me straight up anxiety attacks), but when it's someone you know and love - it must be sheer torture!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
He did...as I recall, he said that he thought they would have been better off without a rest day between the short & free skate. Maybe the adrenalin ran out or something, I don't know...just hope they won't have the same problem at Worlds.

I lol'ed at the part about Miki not watching his programs, too. As a fan it's hard enough (there are a few guys who give me straight up anxiety attacks), but when it's someone you know and love - it must be sheer torture!

I agree! It's amazing his family had the courage to sit there in the arena and watch his Grand Prix performances. The SP and the LP. If that was my brother, I don't know if I'd survive. He's such a charming guy, both on ice and off. Best wishes for World Championships.

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I agree! It's amazing his family had the courage to sit there in the arena and watch his Grand Prix performances. The SP and the LP. If that was my brother, I don't know if I'd survive. He's such a charming guy, both on ice and off. Best wishes for World Championships.

i think its still hard for his mom, look at her at 2014 european championship medal ceremony, she looks so sweet and javi's face and his simle when they showed her crying :laugh: there was longer one where they were having victory lap and she was still crying, ahh its hard to be a mom

btw i cant wait to see his new ex program he talked about :rock: :party2:

Edit: found it

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
javier just shared another SBS jump video with nam, this time its QUAD SAL! :jaw: how i wish yuzuru was with them :cry:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
javier just shared another SBS jump video with nam, this time its QUAD SAL! :jaw: how i wish yuzuru was with them :cry:
:yay:

Nervous for Javier at Worlds... This might be his opportunity to win it all, considering the circumstances. But at the same time, he's the most vulnerable of the three favourites due to how he's skated all year.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i am nervous too ,i hope he can get it together, also seems like Javi and Kurt working on new program, most probably an ex cause it involves hat, after the success of super javi i am sure its gonna be great, cant wait!! :cheer:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
As a lead-up to the World Championships, there will be a 'special' aired tonight focusing on Javier Fernandez as Yuzu's main rival. -And one other skater, but it hasn't been said which one it will be. Possibly Denis Ten?
Javi has gained quite a bit of fame in Japan this season, though he was always popular, due to his relationship with Miki.
I'll post the link to the clip as soon as it pops up on the internet.

tzazu

Medalist
As a lead-up to the World Championships, there will be a 'special' aired tonight focusing on Javier Fernandez as Yuzu's main rival. -And one other skater, but it hasn't been said which one it will be. Possibly Denis Ten?
Javi has gained quite a bit of fame in Japan this season, though he was always popular, due to his relationship with Miki.
I'll post the link to the clip as soon as it pops up on the internet.

Thank you!!!:bow:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
according to his FB page he will have summer training camp in spain this summer, another step for his coaching career!! he is doing great things for figure skating in spain :cheer:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Bev Smith has a new article about Javi:

https://bevsmithwrites.wordpress.com/2015/03/23/what-javier-fernandez-has-become/

I hope he can headline an ice show in Spain soon; hopefully many new opportunities will arise when he wins his medal this week (he's got to win one, right?). :yes:

edit - there's also a rather lengthy (like 12 pages) feature article on him here in Spanish (starts on pg 24)...unfortunately it's PDF, so might be a bit of a pain to use Google Translate. At least the photos are nice. :)

http://www.spanishplayer.com/revista/Numero20_Marzo2015.pdf

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
thanks for the article, there is another one (was posted in yuzu thread but i know some users dont like go there because its hard to keep up with the thread :D )
its funny how he ran from practices at the beginning :laugh: i hope he can headline a show too :love:
wishing him goodluck at worlds :cheer:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Ok so for anyone that wants to know what this article in Spanish is saying, I'll summarize it a bit (since it's quite long). It's basically a recap of Javier's competitive career.
The article starts with Javier's first European Title. The article is written in a very romantic/dramatic way so they talk about how he captivated the audience and how one could say there was a hologram of Chaplin on the ice. They say Javier overcame Amodio's advantage in the SP and won his first title surrounded by Spanish flags and his nation cheering for him.
They go back to when Javier started skating at 6, following his sister. He was a very active boy and it was sometimes difficult to teach him (sounds like Javi). But even at that age there was something special in him and although he had a rough start in competitive skating (Worlds 2007) at 17, Nikolai Morozov offered to coach him in New Jersey.
They go again with some kind of dramatism about how he had to bid warm Madrid goodbye for a cold city like New Jersey, and  as he was setting up his bed, he wondered if he was ready to take that step. But his dream propelled him and went to the Olympics. What was important there wasn't his placement (14th) but that Spain had finally been represented in men's figure skating after more than 60 years. He continued improving his results at Worlds and Euros but when he went down a spot at Euros (from 8th to 9th) he figured something was wrong and decided to leave Morozov, with whom his training was compromised. And the chosen one was Brian Orser.
They then talk about how Javier was the only hispanic skater at TCC but was welcomed warmly when a Spanish flag was hung at the Club. With Brian as coach and David Wilson as choreographer he was set and there was no time to lose due to the skater's short life span.
They say a mix of talent, hard work and luck started giving results next season with his brobze at GPF, the fist time a Spanish skaters achieved anything like it. However it still wasn't enough to podium at Euros (6th) and Worlds (9th), there were lota of things to work on.
The article then says that the following season, Patrick and Yuzuru had the head start, but Javier was close behind and so he managed to beat Patrick at Skate Canada. His FS wasn't enough to get him on the podium at the GPF but everybody knew he had the technicals and his 3 quads were crowd and judges pleasers. They say his secret is too always spin in the same direction or he gets dizzy.
They refer to Croatia again when he didn't get his skates until the day of the SP and had to kind of scramble through the program, though his result (2nd in the SP).
In London, Patrick and Denis got ahead from the very beginning and the battle was for bronze, Javier got it by less than 5 points and left the (now) Olympic Champion Yuzuru Hanyu off the podium.
They refer briefly to how he seems to like to skate to movie soundtracks like Pirates, Matrix, and for his 2013-2014 season, Peter Gun. He was out of the GPF but he aimed for something different which was Euros. He went as the skater to beat and he won easily, a Spanish skater was crowned as the European Champion for the 2nd time in a row.
Next stop was Sochi were emotions were running wild with Javier being Spain's flag bearer. Spain had not medaled at any Olympic Winter Games since 1992 and Javier had the chance to do it but was betrayed by the nerves. He zayaked and placed 4th, 1.18 points behind Denis Ten.
But he moved on to the next competition, Worlds. He achieved the highest SP score by a European and finished second, again ahead of Hanyu (who sighed heavily when he saw Javier ahead of him). He scored a new PB in the FS and gained the bronze medal.
They skipped all the GP circuit until the Final where the desire to please his home crowd got the better of him in the SP and placed 5th. But he had a glorious comeback that earned him a well-deserved silver.
An injury caused by a wrong move at fisio threatened his performance at Euros 2015. He was optimistic although he could barely walk.
He was absolutely dominant at Euros, finishing almost 30 Points ahead of Kovtun and Voronov. This marked his 3rd European Title in a row, something unheard of since Alexander Fadeev. Javier is a God in Europe and a Titan in Spain's second skating gold era.