Javier Fernandez | Page 166 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

tureis

On the Ice
Ice Network posted an article about Javi today, mostly about the disappointment of Worlds and his plans for the Olympic season.

Somebody please explain to this guy that no, he did NOT waste a single second of all these years he spent working so hard on skating skills. Because David Wilson would never have dreamed of creating such wonderful programs like Black Betty or Guys and Dolls that incorporate various styles of dance steps and moves with such lightness, instead of just hamming it up with flashy arm waving. Because Antonio Najarro very likely wouldn't even have picked up the phone to do a real flamenco program for him. Because audiences all over the world wouldn't have fallen in love with how his programs allow his incredible charisma to illuminate every second he performs them. Because he certainly wouldn't be a 2 time world champion.

evergreen

On the Ice
I agree every word you wrote above, tureis. I don't want Javi's confidence being shaken by hurdles of the past season. It is not easy to be yourself, Javier has been known for lack of self confidence as per his records. Recently we all saw what happened in Helsinki when he was affected by others' results. It is very hard to keep to himself, he is a human being after all, but I wish the valuable lesson has been learned and he could be more focused and stay strong in the next season. When he totally believed in himself, disregard win or lose or other competitors, his brilliance is second to none. This is the key weapon how he won two world titles in a row.

Brian Orser was right, skating skill is the foundation of everything. Javier' hard work has paid off, I could never imagine he could perform master pieces like Maalagunea and Guys and Dolls four years ago. Looking at the compliments he got from the skating society, this generation of Kurt Browning, there have been a good handful of world's champions and Olympic champions, but there is only one Kurt Browning in the past three decades. I don't wish he share the same Olympic fate as Browning did, of course, but the compliment itself is a recognition of Javier' accomplishments and his unique christma displays on ice.

4th Quad or not, I am optimistic that if Javier can deliver two clean programs with his current layout in Peyong Chong, he should have no problem to secure his position on the podium. I wish him best of luck and stay healthy and positive.

通过我的 VIE-L29 上的 Tapatalk发言

Last edited:

jinabee

On the Ice
I really hope he knows that every single second he spent in Canada working on skating skills was worth it ;; Javi is pm the only european skater that stands out right now and performances like his Worlds SP will rightly be remembered as one of the best figure skating performances for years to come...
I really hope he gets a medal at the olympics. Any medal. I just want him on the podium.

evergreen

On the Ice
I don't know which interview was conducted before hand, but It appears that in the Spanish one, by Google in translation, Javier was more positive and level-headed, I applaud to him for this affirmative attitude which I wish he could carry on towards the next season with his perseverance, courage and passion which made me become his fan almost 10 years ago.

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I don't know which interview was conducted before hand, but It appears that in the Spanish one, by Google in translation, Javier was more positive and level-headed, I applaud to him for this affirmative attitude which I wish he could carry on towards the next season with his perseverance, courage and passion which made me become his fan almost 10 years ago.

The translation in case anyone still wants it :biggrin:

After a few years of “wine and roses” where he hung around his neck more gold medals than he had ever dreamed of, Javier Fernandez came back to Earth at the World Championships in Helsinki where he couldn’t make the podium. And he had it on his hand. After leading in the SP, the best skater in the history of Spain fell while attempting a quad and wasted away his options. Regardless of that defeat, he hasn’t lost his smile or hunger and now he will try to make history in the next WOG in Pyeonchang where he will try to conquer the third Olympic medal for Spain.

Q: You have it, the 3rd Title is in the palm of your hand and suddenly you fall. What goes through your head in those moments?
A: In those moments you only think about moving on with the choreography and keep going. You don’t have time to analyze anything else.

Q: When you finished your FS you said you were “super nervous and couldn’t hold myself”. What was different this time?
A: Going out last influences a lot. You’ve cooled down since the warm up and you know your rivals’ results.

Q: Was it the pressure of being the favorite?
A: No. That pressure helps me because it makes me “grow” on the ice and give the best of myself.

Q: In the last few years you’ve won two World Championships and 5 Europeans. I being 4th a failure?
A: No. We can’t talk about failure. being able to represent Spain in the most important figure skating competition is already a victory for me.

Q: Are defeats less painful when you’ve won so much?
A: Absolutely. I’m capable of analyzing them and know where I’me made mistakes. It’s easier to carry that anger when you know why you’ve failed.

Q: What’s the formula to be back at the very top?
A: Work, work and more work

Q: You’ll have to reinvent yourself…
A: I’m already working on the choreographies por the 2018 Olympics. We’ll try to polish some details and keep going, improving the programs and work on them every day because it’s the only way we can overcome ourselves.

Q: Are you afraid of not fulfilling your dream of getting a medal at the Olympic Games?
A: I can’t talk about fear. Fear is too big of a word to have it for not getting an Olympic medal. You can be afraid of many things in live but not of something like that.

Q: You’re still a hero in Spain. Now figure skating is being broadcasted on TV.
A: I’m immensely proud of knowing I’m contributing a bit in making this sport better known in my country, helping increase the number of licenses every day.

Q: Is that your biggest victory?
A: No doubt about that. The best prize is seeing how the kids take interest in this sport and take interest in practicing it.
Q: What’s the difference between the Javier Fernandez who was just starting and the one who’s jung around his neck over 10 medals?
A: I haven’t changed at all, except that now I can cook better :laugh: It’s clear that as you grow in any sport your popularity rises and that carries on more responsibilities.

Q: How’s the day by day of a two-time World Champion that wants to win an Olympic medal?
A: Simple. I wake up at 9 am. I eat breakfast and go to the rink for practice from 10:00 to 15:00 hrs. After eating, I rest and to finish the day I have some leisure time.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
We always want the translations, you lovely native Spanish speakers!! Thnaks for all the recent ones! Loved the comment of having learned to cook better, always ready to make fun of himself :love:

Backstage for the PlayStation program = the ice IS slippery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OdNWdxr2bI

A vlog on Ice Chips from point of view of one of the young performers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XPqMxOtU68 (very little Javi, though)
Finale (Javi in the last minute): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aQ5Vt-hLHU
Some pics edited into a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OMoNT46pME (I think I saw them somewhere also as pictures, but could not find that anymore :scratch2:)

And in May he will receive the Gold Medal of the City of Madrid for his sports achievements and for promoting its values.

E

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Hey!

I just found this interview with Brian Orser, made a few days ago. They talk about Yuzu, Gabby and of course Javi.

I haven't seen it posted... maybe in another thread?? Anyway, here it is.

Enjoy!!

TSL Interviews Brian Orser

Last edited:

beki

Medalist
Overall, it is remarkable how mature and positive Javi has been about 4th place. As for the skating skills, if he hadn't developed them, his programs would be lost in my never rewatch pile, along with some young quad jumpers. Scores are one thing to marvel at, and programs that stand the test of time are another. Hopefully we will get both next year.

evergreen

On the Ice
Well, since my time zone is now April 15, I wish Javi a very happy birthday [emoji322] [emoji322] [emoji322] [emoji324] [emoji324] [emoji324] [emoji320]and may his Olympics' dream come true[emoji7]

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Happy Birthday Javier! Feliz Cumpleanos! Black Saturday birthday this year for Mr. Black Betty followed immediately by joyful Easter. Similarly, I think Javier will rebound from Worlds where he still scored 300 plus total and was heartbreakingly close to bronze. Looking forward to seeing his Olympic season programs. :)

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Happy birthday Javi!! :yahoo: :hb:
We know he is Canada working hard on his new programs right now, but I hope he can find the time to do something fun today :yes: