I still can't understand why they give children wine decanter... :reye:

Also, I don't find my username in the scoring sheet

Artemisa

Final Flight
What I remeber::

- Kamila Valieva --> everything is almost perfect
- Maya --> even with that FS. Elegant skater
- Andrei Kutovoy --> he was a pleasure to see
Liza and Devid's --> free skate --> they have me hope for the future in dance. Do a different style from the pairnext to you --> I'm tired of the same music and sytle in seniors
- 2 french pairs --> I like their FS
- Katashinskaia/Vaskovich --> russian teams don't know how to samba ... why put samba in the FD!!! ( in same competition for example Alina Urushadze did a great samba .. the russian pair were stiff)

SkySkater

On the Ice
Ladies

For me the highlight was in the short easily Lara Naki Gutman. She's a classic Italian skater in the mould of Kostner with beautiful skating and well placed arms. They even jump the same way which was fun to see. However whilst she has a beautiful triple toe triple toe, salchow and loop she does struggle with some of the higher triples--if she can get those then I think she will be able to really compete but she still got a respectable sixth which I was really happy with. Another skater who had similar capabilities was Guzide Irmak Bayir who I thought was charming and had a really nice triple toe triple toe especially in the short. She had really fun costumes and she was really fun to watch.

Both of the Japanese girls (Nana and Tomoe) were completely charming though Nana was probably my favourite out of the pair of them. I thought the two of them were probably a bit underscored especially Nana in terms of PCS and the pair of them in terms of the GOEs--Tomoe's double axel was by far the most technically difficult jump in the short as she had no cross overs and just one footed skating into the jump from the start of the program. I was really impressed with both of them though I wish they could be more consistent and get that triple triple in the short--if they had they could have easily podiumed.

Both Seoyeong and Jihun were a breath of fresh air in the short with their beautiful triple lutz triple toes which were by far the two best combinations of that day. Jihun was heart breaking in that short after that beautiful triple lutz triple toe when she popped the loop but her PCS qualities are amazing and I loved her short program so much. I wish she would be able to get everything together because she is such a beautiful skater and she was robbed in the pcs department--in my opinion at least in the short she should have been close to the top. Seoyeong stood out to me for her technical excellence as she was weaker then Jihun in terms of pcs though her jumps made up for it--her double axel in the short was spectacular as was her lutz toe in both programs. I think her short is a significantly better program than her long but she also looked more stressed out so she maybe able to sell the Amelie better otherwise.

Before I go to the Russian Skaters I have to mention the little Georgian girl Alina Urushadze who is a member of the ex Russian skater crew. She was charming and her Bolero shrot was so much fun though in the free I could see that she was coached by Samarin's coach (I can say that because i unapologetically stan Samarin). My favourite thing from her was the fact that despite the fact she doesn't have a triple triple she jumped the triple lutz double loop, triple sal double loop and a double axel euler triple flip all of these combos are really cool to see and I appreciated the personality and the point grabbing/layout optimising that she had going for her as she made the most out of her technical limits.

Without even talking about the programs I have to say both Kamila and Maya looked far too stressed at the competition--understandably both of them had mistakes and that they were upset about it but they looked terrified before they even started skating which I didn't like to see. I think there is too much pressure on the Russian juniors which was exemplified in this competition in my opinion. Otherwise Maya has the potential to be an amazing skater if she can work on utilising her limbs properly--her old coach pre Eteri was Tsareva who had Pogo who was similarly tall and had a beautiful top line so I'm not surprised she already has the roots of this in her carriage. In terms of jumps they definitely weren't as good as they were last year--her double axel is normally a standout jump for me but they didn't look as nice at this competition. I really felt for her though--she was injured in the off season and based off of test skates I think this event was just too soon for her but I think she will rally to greater strength. She was lucky to be on the podium as I can see an argument for Nana getting third and the question now is will she get another assignment and I fear the answer is no as she has a third with a very low score--though we will have to see how it all pans out in the next few weeks.

Kamilla is undoubtedly very talented and the short seems improved from test skates but doesn't have the same magic from the beginning of last season. I rewatched and they have changed some choreo which is sad. Her free skate has a similar program especially with the quad toe at the start which is understandable but the music has not climax to indicate the jump and whilst a jump doesn't need a climax for me the jump has to be effortless for this to be effective which her quad toe wasn't. However I found her butterfly costume endearing and I did like the second half of the program. I wonder with her inconsistency on some of the combos is caused by the drilling of the quads. The Eteri girls are known for in the training just drilling the combos and I wonder if adding in the quads make it harder somehow--for example going into the free skate she probably drilled the quad toe and triple lutz triple toe but did she drill the other triples as much and is that why she fell. She did worry me in the gala however as that fall looked quite hard but she could also just have been tired when she fell and that's why she reacted like that.

Men
Yuma was undoubtedly the standout technically in a rather lackluster technically field. His jumps looked good to me but he really won me around in the gala with his skate to Up Town Funk which was probably the best skate as he was so fun and playful. I really hope he and some of the other talented Japanese upcomers can really add to Japanese men singles as they have been missing talented juniors for a bit. Also his triple axel looks really nice--he even did it under show lights.

Aleksa Rakic went out and skated his two programs with his lesser tech well and admirably which landed him the silver. I was impressed with him as he has really sprouted up in the last year or so and presumably once his growth has stabilised he will be able to work on the ultra c elements. He was very endearing in the medal ceremony when he was a head taller than both of the other skaters.

Andrei Kutovoi was a skater I was very happy to see especially with the way he skated. I had disliked his skating and thought he was overscored last year when he was at CSKA but he is back with Dainenko (Gumenik's coach) and his tech has improved and I think his programs are better. He is a charming skater especially in the short and whilst I am of the mood that everyone needs more anguish in Les Mis and didn't massively love his music cuts he still performed admirably which is why he was able to pull up so well. He does train a triple axel which in normally under which is probably why he didn't jump it here though I was still disappointed not to see it. Furthermore whilst I really liked him I do worry slightly as he's very petit and other similar skaters tend to massively grow during puberty especially amongst the Russian men such as Kovalev or even Rukhin.

Egor Rukhin was sad to see after his strong performance at test skates where he landed triple axels in short and free I think however, he tends to underperform internationally and he didn't prove otherwise here. Furthermore the poor boy has kept on growing his bio says he's 172 but in some photos he looks closer to Daniil's height and he's only 15 which means it might continue making it hard to stabilise his elements especially with the focus not just on the triple triples but also on the quads and triple axels. I hope he will be able to rebound strongly.

Fundamentally this was a disappointing event and very empty with both second and third boys not jumping triple axels or quads. I hope this can improve in the later jgp stages with more depth--Lake Placid looks like it will be very competitive though so we'll see next week.

Ice Dance

I really enjoyed the baby team from Cyprus (though they are both born and raised in Russia) they were super charming and had some really interesting choreographic ideas in their programs which I found really fresh and innovative which as ice dance can be much of a muchness was really nice to see. Another lower ranked team I enjoyed were the French Vikings in Terreau and Perron whose free skate I really enjoyed and had a beautiful choreographic lift which was drama. Finally I really appreciated the Chinease teams rhythm dance to Sound of Music which was charming and by far my favourite music choice of the Rhythm dance section.

B/B the Canadians had an amazing free skate to David Bowie and I really liked Emmy who was imo the stronger have of the team who is amazing for being not quite fifteen. However they definitely teetered on the edge of almost being too fast for me and out of control especially in some of the lifts which had me being :eek:. That being said they were amazing they even made Shanaeva and Naryzhnyy look slow but they lost the bronze because they were just that bit too careless with some of the levels.

I loved K/V who were charming and adorable especially in their sambo especially when she rallied towards the end to really do her best to sell it. Their rhythm dance I did have to side eye because she's 14 I think and Morozov choreographed it to Big Spender which is a choice. That being said they are really young and I think they have loads of potential though the boy is in my opinion a bit too old for her.

The Techno Haberna was so much fun from the French team even and it was such a solid choice. I'm really excited to see how they do this season and if they can really make a break through into the junior international ranks.

Shanaeva and Narzhynyy were amazing and the standout team from this event. Their rhythm dance was the best total package though I disliked her dress and that one curl over her forehead--I wonder if the deduction was from a pin falling out which held back that curl as it seemed to slip down slightly. Their free skate was soo interesting and innovative with her slide though I wonder if it's a risk as if it doesn't go well it could count as a fall deduction. Anyways they've made a very strong case for their position as Russia number ones and it'll be interesting to see if they can maintain it. Also his faces alongside Vaskovich were brilliant in response to the wine decanters and were so funny to watch.

In general I was disappointed with the Rhythm dance selections in this event. I was really excited as a broadway stan for them but none of these teams were that exciting. Lots of them opted for old school musicals which was nice but when everyone is doing it not that interesting. I hope to see more diversity in choice in the later jgps and senior events.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Ladies: Seoyoung Wi and Alina Urushadze were the highlights for me. I was impressed with Kamila's spins and of course her 4T, hope to see a lot more of her in future!

Men: I am a big fan of Yuma and I'm so glad that he skated two clean programs to win the gold! What's more is that there is room for improvement (for the performance aspect, he is working on it as seen in his gala skate, read below). I loved Andrei's storytelling of Les Miserables and I think that he can really shine in his debut season. What a comeback! I was pleasantly surprised by Aleksa's SP and I think Iliya has a wonderful triple axel.

Ice Dance: Woo Shanaeva / Naryzhnyy, their free dance rocks! I love their choreo slide, it looks quite bold. I also enjoyed watching Bronsard / Bouaraguia in their free, it looks like junior dance is going to be really exciting this season!

The Gala: I haven't seen too many galas before but this one looked chaotic. Maybe it's the stream edit but the music seemed to be all over the place, the lighting looks dark (although I guess this is the case in a lot of galas) and the MC is reading off a clipboard, speaking to the skaters only in French which must be confusing for them. I enjoyed watching Yuma's Uptown Funk skate, then he was asked to do some kind of an encore. The skaters seemed to be rushed off when finishing their routines.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I forgot to say in my first post, the very best thing about this past event: the JGP broadcast has the tech box now!

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
Lara Naki Gutmann skated her short program beautifully. She's such an elegant skater.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
There are a few highlights for me:
Men:
- Yuma skated brilliantly - his knee bend was outstanding. I really don't think he was overmarked, people seem to miss his subtle musicality filled with grace - so ahead of the rest of the crowd.
- Andrei was amazing. This is the first time I've seen him skate, and he managed to grab a bronze medal (He was so close to silver - He is the only person I've seen with the potential to reach GPF without a 3A or a 4.
- Mark Gorodnitsky's short program. Yes there was the fall on the 3Lo, but I liked the program as a whole.
Women
- I was thrilled to see so many proper lutzs'. There were a couple with bad technique, however on the whole this has improved tremendously and it was nice to see so many good Lutz's.
- Kamila's quad (and program). I liked her performance, however I wish her choreographer had put in less positions, but had her hold them more. She hit so many nice positions but only for a split second to try cram as many as possible.
- Watching a tonne of different skaters from over the world with a massive skill gap and seeing how they balanced their programs to benefit the most of their element capabilities.

I loved Ted Barton - his knowledge, his phrasing, his encouragement, his constructive criticism, and his accent!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
@SkySkater

The way I interpreted Andrei Kutovoy’s performance was that he portrayed Gavroche, a character who is pretty spirited.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
@SkySkater

The way I interpreted Andrei Kutovoy’s performance was that he portrayed Gavroche, a character who is pretty spirited.

He was so charming! Ted said that he hasn't seen anyone as artistic as Andrei in years, and I completely agree with him!
Such a wonderful young man!

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Let's see, my highlights were...

Ladies, in no particular order:
- Lara Naki Gutmann (she was really beautiful to watch, she emoted a lot and seemed to be enjoying herself)
- Jihun To (likewise, beautiful and emotive)
- Seoyeong Wi (beautiful, though maybe not as expressive yet as I'd like)
- Alina Urshadze (her FP was awesome, so full of joy! A tiny bit too sexy for a 15 year old, but she made it work)
- Kamila Valieva (what can I say, we all saw it... another quad queen is here! Her extensions are out of this world, and everything is so precise. I just wish she looked happier!)

Ice Dance, also in no particular order:
- Villo Marton and Danyil Semko (I remember watching them last year - they didn't place well at all and Danyil kept falling, if I recall correctly. However, Villo had been so supportive and kind to him last year. I am thrilled to see how much they've improved in a year, and that they still have that wonderful and supportive connection together!)
- Loicia Demougeot and Theo le Mercier (I enjoyed their RD a lot)
- Emmy Bronsard and Aissa Bouaraguia (I love this team! I remember them from last year too, with some commenting that this is a future Virtue/Moir. I don't know about that, but man Emmy is a little firecracker! So much sparkle and joy coming from her, I love it! Also, I applaud their unusual choice to skate to David Bowie!)
- Elizaveta Shanaeva and Devid Naryzhnyy (OMG. INCREDIBLE. Not all gold medalists make me say that, by any means. I loved both of their programs - I didn't like the musical selections for the FD, but the elements were awesome, including their wonderful lifts! And the RD likewise had great lifts and a beautiful program all around. So excited for their future!)

And, as others have mentioned, Ted Barton is a hero! We love you, Ted! The nicest commentator around, giving such empathetic and insightful critiques! :luv17:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Chen Yudong's SP was :dance3:

YES! I really liked 14 years old Yudong. He skated really well to emotional saxophone music in the short. Needs to get harder jumps and spins with higher quality(his last in short got almost nothing) + stamina for the free. Steps and performance ability are great already. And pretty good speed. I’m looking forward to following him.

Hopes for Yudong, Boyang and Han, all three, at next olympics on home turf :)

Was Yuodong in team Orser’s class when they were coaching in China?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
YES! I really liked 14 years old Yudong. He skated really well to emotional saxophone music in the short. Needs to get harder jumps and spins with higher quality(his last in short got almost nothing) + stamina for the free. Steps and performance ability are great already. And pretty good speed. I’m looking forward to following him.

Hopes for Yudong, Boyang and Han, all three, at next olympics on home turf :)

Was Yuodong in team Orser’s class when they were coaching in China?

I quite liked his short program as well!