Joshua Farris | Page 61 | Golden Skate

Joshua Farris

Interspectator

Record Breaker
HeatherC on FSU has come through with the magic goodness of wonder!

LOOK. LOOK.

AND THERE'S A TRIPLE AXEL AND ALL OF HIS GORGEOUS SPINS EVEN THE TWISTY PRETZEL ONE AND THE FOOTWORK AND THE EVERYTHING AND *bawls*

This video makes me so happy! Can't wait to see him compete. -Do you think he might get a spot at Skate America? slightest chance?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This video makes me so happy! Can't wait to see him compete. -Do you think he might get a spot at Skate America? slightest chance?

I am hoping so, so so much!

I am trying to be realistic. Of course, we'll have to see how he goes at summer comps - SP under lights doesn't quite give us an accurate picture. He did look a little rusty in places which is to be expected. But I am sure...I am sure that when he starts competing again...it will be wonderful!

Miller

Final Flight

Situation with Josh is that if he comes back as a 'return skater' i.e. commits in writing before annual selection meeting at end of June he will get 2 GP slots (both of which can be outside the USA) due to his 2015 World Champs finish and Seasons Best that year, which would be in this last years Top 24. This is assuming non-guaranteed 2nd slots are effectively in Seasons Best order which in practice they seem to be.

If he can't commit it's a bit unclear, but it looks as if he could be a Host Pick if he gets the minimum Grand Prix Score (about 192) early this coming season and uses a 'TBD' slot at Skate America. Also I would imagine it's possible he could commit, but word is put out that it's only for SA if you see what I mean i.e. he won't be picked by other Federations. That way the USFS could choose him and still have a 'TBA' slot, though looking at all the main US skaters they're all going to get 2 slots anyway assuming the Seasons Best order business, so it might be best just to leave it and go for the early season 192 score, plus SA is very late this year so there's plenty of time for him to get it at a Challenger Series event.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm going to SA so my wish is to finally see him skate in person.

So glad Heather posted that video, interesting that he doubled the lutz but still did the 3A, shows how easy that jump is for him, you don't see many of those in an EX.

His spins looked a bit slower than in the past, but overall he looks great and ready to go!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Situation with Josh is that if he comes back as a 'return skater' i.e. commits in writing before annual selection meeting at end of June he will get 2 GP slots (both of which can be outside the USA) due to his 2015 World Champs finish and Seasons Best that year, which would be in this last years Top 24. This is assuming non-guaranteed 2nd slots are effectively in Seasons Best order which in practice they seem to be.

If he can't commit it's a bit unclear, but it looks as if he could be a Host Pick if he gets the minimum Grand Prix Score (about 192) early this coming season and uses a 'TBD' slot at Skate America. Also I would imagine it's possible he could commit, but word is put out that it's only for SA if you see what I mean i.e. he won't be picked by other Federations. That way the USFS could choose him and still have a 'TBA' slot, though looking at all the main US skaters they're all going to get 2 slots anyway assuming the Seasons Best order business, so it might be best just to leave it and go for the early season 192 score, plus SA is very late this year so there's plenty of time for him to get it at a Challenger Series event.

Unless the rules have changed, I don't think he's guaranteed more than one. He placed 11th at 2015 Worlds, so it looks to me like para 2.2c applies. If I read that correctly, he would be eligible for a host pick, and with his 2015 SB score (260.01) he would be ranked 12 on the SB list, just ahead of Vincent. So he could well get two assignments, but he isn't guaranteed them. This is last year's announcement:

http://static.isu.org/media/351567/gp-general-announcement-2016_17-final.pdf

Miller

Final Flight
Unless the rules have changed, I don't think he's guaranteed more than one. He placed 11th at 2015 Worlds, so it looks to me like para 2.2c applies. If I read that correctly, he would be eligible for a host pick, and with his 2015 SB score (260.01) he would be ranked 12 on the SB list, just ahead of Vincent. So he could well get two assignments, but he isn't guaranteed them. This is last year's announcement:

http://static.isu.org/media/351567/gp-general-announcement-2016_17-final.pdf

Yes, it's a very convoluted rule which I've struggled to fully follow, and you may well be right. However if his season's best is treated like anybody else's, then he'll get one like this (2.2c doesn't even say this), plus effectively another one when the federations go down the season's best list after all guaranteed slots and Host Picks have been determined e.g. I fully expect Vincent Zhou to get 2, 1 via his World Junior win/seasons best, and his 2nd via going down the list. Similarly skaters like Adam Rippon and Denis Ten who are only guaranteed 1 slot, but are also very similar Seasons Best-wise to Josh.

Last edited:

Liz1201

Rinkside
Will Josh have to go to Regionals and Sectionals to qualify for nationals or would he qualify for a bye as a return skater or a bye if he is competing in GP or Senior B's? Thanks!

musicfan80

Medalist

LOOK. LOOK.

AND THERE'S A TRIPLE AXEL AND ALL OF HIS GORGEOUS SPINS EVEN THE TWISTY PRETZEL ONE AND THE FOOTWORK AND THE EVERYTHING AND *bawls*

I'm slightly disappointed in you, karne. :laugh: You didn't notice his improved edges?????

Do we need to come up with a nickname for "the twisty pretzel spin"? :)

Overall - this performance VERY NICE. :yes: That salchow was a tad scary in the air. Not at all worried about the 2Lz - exhibitions are rarely at 100%. Besides, he did do a 3A.

Unless the rules have changed, I don't think he's guaranteed more than one.

Honesty, I'm more concerned with what happens at summer competitions and that USFS assigns him to a couple of Senior Bs before he goes to even one GP competition. And are we assuming that USFS will let have a "competition bye" to U.S. Nationals?

======================

Nice photo of Joshua and Jean-Luc eating a meal before their flights. I'm probably going to be corrected about this, but I believe that P.F. Chang's may literally be the only chain restaurant where he can safety order most things. ;)

andromache

Record Breaker
You can tell he's not at 100% but he's definitely getting there.

I'll keep y'all updated on the Mentor, OH event in July. Right now it's only a workshop/class for skaters to register for, but it seems like there's going to be a show, too, and that's what I want to see! Though I wonder if I could also just camp out at the rink all day long and watch everything like a creepo?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You can tell he's not at 100% but he's definitely getting there.

I'll keep y'all updated on the Mentor, OH event in July. Right now it's only a workshop/class for skaters to register for, but it seems like there's going to be a show, too, and that's what I want to see! Though I wonder if I could also just camp out at the rink all day long and watch everything like a creepo?

Leave the binoculars at home and you might be alright :cool:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Will Josh have to go to Regionals and Sectionals to qualify for nationals or would he qualify for a bye as a return skater or a bye if he is competing in GP or Senior B's? Thanks!

If he gets a GP or Bs at the appropriate times, he'll be given a bye to Nationals. If not, Regionals and Sectionals it is. Which mightn't be a bad way to go either.

Liz1201

Rinkside
Thanks Karne! If he has to do Regionals the southwestern Regionals are not far away from me in Fort Collins and I can go and bring back reports. (I think he would be in the SW one but not certain).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm slightly disappointed in you, karne. :laugh: You didn't notice his improved edges?????

Of course, but some things get blurred by tears :laugh:

Do we need to come up with a nickname for "the twisty pretzel spin"? :)

On twitter they sometimes call it the "Doddsnikova". Because Andrew does it too, and maybe first. Though we don't really know.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Off-ice photo of Josh and Livvy with one of their young students from Skate It Forward class on Sunday:

LOOK. LOOK.

... On twitter they sometimes call it the "Doddsnikova". Because Andrew does it too, and maybe first. Though we don't really know.

Many thanks to HeatherC :bow: for the full program video :hap93:.

(My two cents: I don't think we need any nickname other than Twisty Pretzel Spin :cool:.)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Only photos (cute photos) here, but looks as if Doug Mattis filmed an interview with Josh at Skate It Forward??

Shown (or to be shown?) where, I wonder?? :popcorn:
Perhaps filmed only for the DVD of the show -- a memento for all involved as well as another form of fundraising, I guess??

ETA:

Off topic, but for Damon Allen fans, finally remembering to post this little video from Easter:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BS8u3a0Bhp-/?taken-by=competing_in_africa_ (Apr 16) #bunnyhop :laugh:

Last edited:

onyxrose81

Rinkside
I don't really care about the jumps right now. I'm just so happy to see him on the ice again, when it looked like it would never be possible. Anything else is gravy.

Shout out to HeatherC for the vid!

musicfan80

Medalist
Off topic, but for Damon Allen fans, finally remembering to post this little video from Easter:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BS8u3a0Bhp-/?taken-by=competing_in_africa_ (Apr 16) #bunnyhop :laugh:

Sorry, but if you're going to go for the bunny ears on Easter, you need to go all out and get an Easter basket too. :laugh:

I don't really care about the jumps right now. I'm just so happy to see him on the ice again, when it looked like it would never be possible. Anything else is gravy.

Exactly! I think (and hope) that we all remember that we were once so sad because we thought we would never see him skate again, even in shows.

That being said, Jackie Wong believes that his SP jumping content if he keeps "Give Me Love" will be 4S(or4T)/3T, 3A, 3Lz. I'm impressed that Jackie noticed Joshua's performance giving that there are all kinds of other skating tours/shows going on right now.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:laugh: Thanks for the #bunnyhop, ice coverage!

Exactly! I think (and hope) that we all remember that we were once so sad because we thought we would never see him skate again, even in shows.

I don't think we could ever forget that sorrow, and it will make anything and everything that happens now that much sweeter.

That being said, Jackie Wong believes that his SP jumping content if he keeps "Give Me Love" will be 4S(or4T)/3T, 3A, 3Lz. I'm impressed that Jackie noticed Joshua's performance giving that there are all kinds of other skating tours/shows going on right now.

Jackie notices everything :cool14:

That said, it would not at all surprise me if Jackie had already earmarked this show as the possibility of seeing Josh video for the first time and was keeping a particular eye out. He knows Josh's comeback is one of the big storylines of the season, and he was just as thrilled as we were to hear of the comeback.