Joshua Farris | Page 69 | Golden Skate

Joshua Farris

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
It's not just the quads that are risky for concussions. Any fall on anything on the ice can potentially cause a concussion. Even Lucinda Ruh ended up having issues because she did all that spinning and it was primarily in one direction.

And really, it's the pairs' elements that are by far the most frightening - the lifts and throws are insanely dangerous when you think about what the man and woman are doing. I sometimes have a hard time comprehending taking the risks. :eek:

Of course I do not blame quads only. But I blame ISU (as a rules developer) for encouraging the sport's development in such a dangerous way and not thinking about skaters' safety...That all that quads (jumps, twist lifts, throw jumps) and so on are too dangerous and can lead to severe injuries and disability...

Even in gymnastics they try to "filter" and forbid too dangerous elements...

Scout

Final Flight
I didn't know that Josh had gotten re-injured. I was looking forward to his comeback and hoping for success. This is absolutely heartbreaking. I felt an overwhelming urge to cry when I opened the go fund me page and saw his picture. I'm so happy that within 4 hours, he exceeded his target.

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
I wish more people knew that when you get a concussion you should get your eyes checked as soon as you can. I had one a few years ago and coincidently I had an optometrist appt scheduled during my recovery. As soon as he looked at my eyes even if I hadn't told him before knew something had happened head injury wise. He also said it is important to get eyes checked as well.
Wishing Joshua all the best in his recovery and sad to know this wasn't caught a lot earlier. The outcome may have been very different early on with earlier treatment.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
My best wishes to Joshua, hoping that something good will follow this apparent tragedy.

One good thing is the fundraising target having been met so quickly, reflecting how much he is loved by people who appreciate who he is, his artistry, dedication, and joy he's brought. He was apparently reluctant to ask for financial aid as he really only asked for the minimal money requirement to take care of the immediate medical needs. I hope the generosity will continue a bit longer so Josh wouldn't be right back in great financial needs due to his unfortunate condition.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was coming to post this here, so sad. I'm posting it on my FB page also.

dailytg20

On the Ice
So sad that Josh is going through this, and awful that it is happening in a country where some tout the high standard of healthcare that most cannot afford.

To this day his "Give Me Love" program--sans Tara's commentary--still brings me joy.

I am touched by the many Japanese names on that donor list. It is great that he has so much support pouring from across the Pacific.

Kara

Final Flight
I plan to donate when I get back home and have access to my laptop again but I am so happy and my heart is full of fuzzy feelings at seeing how he's already way past his goal and all the Japanese names on the donation list! I wish the best for him and a fast recovery and for him to lead a healthy life after.😭

musicfan80

Medalist
I just checked this forum and saw the news but it's incredible that it's only been up for two hours and already met the goal.

I hope everything goes well.

They have raised over $8,700 so far! :clap:

I was really hoping that Joshua was doing well - enough. He looked in good shape (seeming to be talking well and playing video games) with Joe Johnson in an Instagram story about two months ago. I'm still too sad over this news.

Hopefully, the money will help Joshua make any steps that he needs to make a great recovery. :yes:

NAOTMAA

Medalist
You know with all the hype and drooling tonight from the commentators about all the quads Nathan and Vincent were doing it would have been nice if they had mentioned this. Not only to recognize a member of their community but also to say just how dangerous this sport really is. They didn't do either but I guess the news wasn't that well known by the people at nationals yet as it was online :(

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Whoever made it should have asked for much more. I'm afraid his treatment will cost a LOT more than that....

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This is heartbreaking. He's such a nice guy and a talented skater and nobody deserves this. Hope he recovers.

Anyone who says skating isn't a tough sport or is easy, exit stage right thanks.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Whoever made it should have asked for much more. I'm afraid his treatment will cost a LOT more than that....

I think you are right..
I hope donations keep going up, even though it’s already well exceeded the target. Let’s help him build more of a safety net and also show him how much we care.

TCAngel18

Medalist
Omg, I literally started tearing up reading this. I just mentioned in the Nationals forum earlier today that I missed Josh, and I hoped he was ok. He is one of my favorite skaters of all time; great combination of clean jumps and innate musicality. Beautiful man, with an even more beautiful soul.

I’m not in the place financially at all where I can help, but I’m glad many others are stepping up. Life must be so difficult for him right now, and such a sweet, kind, talented man doesn’t deserve this.

TCAngel18

Medalist
A thought about the cost; it probably is extremely expensive, and they said it wasn’t covered. I’m assuming it’s not FULLY covered, and this is a co-pay.

Unless he requires multiple treatments, and EACH are at that Figure.

Still though, it hurts to hear of this happening to him.

Warwick360

Medalist

mintx

On the Ice
The fund is at over 11,000 in less than 24 hours. Most of the donations are in the $20 range.

This is another tragic reminder of how scary and dangerous skating can be.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I'm so happy for Joshua! But I can't beleive he has financial problems.:disapp: $ 4500 is not so much money