jumps' difficulty and points | Golden Skate

jumps' difficulty and points

iceskating21

On the Ice
I am very curious about jumps' points. When my skater finished all doubles and worked on triples, I was looking back at her journey. She landed her 2Lo shortly after her axel. It seemed so easy. Based on what she said, 2F and 2Lz are similar to 2Lo. Then she started landing them. Her first 2S came after that. But it took her very long time to get 2S consistent. 2T seems so hard for her that she even landed her 2A before it. Yes, 2T tortured her for years. She almost gave up and thought she will never make it. Eventually, she got it.

So when I look into the jumps' base value in competition, I really get confused. The easy ones for her, 2Lo, 2F, 2 Lz are 1.70, 1.80 and 2.10. The hard ones for her, 2S and 2T, are only 1.30!!! Especially 2T!!! Isn't it the hardest one? Are the base values decided by difficulty or anything else? If the base values are so different, do some skaters pick which jumps to learn first for competition purpose?

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I am very curious about jumps' points. When my skater finished all doubles and worked on triples, I was looking back at her journey. She landed her 2Lo shortly after her axel. It seemed so easy. Based on what she said, 2F and 2Lz are similar to 2Lo. Then she started landing them. Her first 2S came after that. But it took her very long time to get 2S consistent. 2T seems so hard for her that she even landed her 2A before it. Yes, 2T tortured her for years. She almost gave up and thought she will never make it. Eventually, she got it.

So when I look into the jumps' base value in competition, I really get confused. The easy ones for her, 2Lo, 2F, 2 Lz are 1.70, 1.80 and 2.10. The hard ones for her, 2S and 2T, are only 1.30!!! Especially 2T!!! Isn't it the hardest one? Are the base values decided by difficulty or anything else? If the base values are so different, do some skaters pick which jumps to learn first for competition purpose?
The ability to do some jumps better or sooner to others has to do with if she's a pick jumper or an edge jumper. I had my 2A, 2S and 2Lo way before my 2toe and Lutz b/c I'm an edge jumper. Flip on the other hand, being a toe jump was easier for me for some reason even though I'm a more dominant edge jumper lol!

treblemakerem

On the Ice
The ability to do some jumps better or sooner to others has to do with if she's a pick jumper or an edge jumper. I had my 2A, 2S and 2Lo way before my 2toe and Lutz b/c I'm an edge jumper. Flip on the other hand, being a toe jump was easier for me for some reason even though I'm a more dominant edge jumper lol!
If she struggled with toe and sal it seems more like a problem with the weight transfer rather than edge vs pick.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If she struggled with toe and sal it seems more like a problem with the weight transfer rather than edge vs pick.
That wasn't my point though, you aren't telling me anything I don't know, but it does seem like she's more one than the other as most people are. Sorry just not going to sit here and play coach to someones jumps I can't even see lol!

Last edited:

treblemakerem

On the Ice
That wasn't my point though, you aren't telling me anything I don't know, but it does seem like she's more one than the other as most people are. Sorry just not going to sit here and play coach to someones jumps I can't even see lol!
Not sure what coaching has to do with it. Your point didn’t make much sense is all lol

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Not sure what coaching has to do with it. Your point didn’t make much sense is all lol
It actually makes perfect sense. You can't coach blindly due to a post here. Also, there are skaters known as edge jumpers and toe jumpers, sorry if you weren't aware of that, let's just agree to disagree and move on.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
It actually makes perfect sense. You can't coach blindly due to a post here. Also, there are skaters known as edge jumpers and toe jumpers, sorry if you weren't aware of that, let's just agree to disagree and move on.
Yes I know there are edge jumpers and toe jumpers, it's just not relevant to this situation. Sorry if you don't understand. Salchows and toeloops are similar because of the weight change. Loops, flips, and lutzes are similar because they don't have that weight change. It's nothing to do with coaching a specific skater. It's about the jumps themself. Some skaters are better at edge jumps or toe jumps, but also some skaters are better at weight change jumps or non-weight change jumps. So sometimes the jumps a certain skater finds easier do not line up with the point values which is what the OP was asking about. No one asked for coaching advice.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes I know there are edge jumpers and toe jumpers, it's just not relevant to this situation. Sorry if you don't understand. Salchows and toeloops are similar because of the weight change. Loops, flips, and lutzes are similar because they don't have that weight change. It's nothing to do with coaching a specific skater. It's about the jumps themself. Some skaters are better at edge jumps or toe jumps, but also some skaters are better at weight change jumps or non-weight change jumps. So sometimes the jumps a certain skater finds easier do not line up with the point values which is what the OP was asking about. No one asked for coaching advice.
Again, you aren't telling me anything I don't know, so please stop. You were giving the weight change advice which could be considered coaching, that was what I referred to. You have no idea if it has to do with weight change with this particular skater. Again, as I said in my previous post, lets agree to disagree and move on.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
Again, you aren't telling me anything I don't know, so please stop. You were giving the weight change advice which could be considered coaching, that was what I referred to. You have no idea if it has to do with weight change with this particular skater. Again, as I said in my previous post, lets agree to disagree and move on.
I’m not giving any advice... I’m not sure why you’re struggling to comprehend this. This is purely about different types of jumps.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Everyone has different best jumps. Some people are edge jumpers. Some people are best at toe jumps. Others prefer jumps with a weight transfer while others prefer jumps without one. Generally, it's easier to fully rotate weight transfer jumps because there is more of a natural snap (though staying upright is harder on them personally) so they have lower base values.