Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker

musicfan80

Medalist
Katlin and Jean-Luc will be among the cast at the Skate It Forward Charity Show in Columbus, OH on May 6.

From the Skate It Forward's FB page, here's a cute video of them promoting the show! :)

The proceeds will go to Ronald McDonald Charities of Central Ohio.

Also scheduled to perform are Mariah Bell, Ponsart Romain, Joshua Farris, and Scimeca/Knierim! This looks like it will be a pretty good show!

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist
The first Skate it Forward show should be starting already! If I see any cool videos or photos, I will post them here.

Nice photos from visiting the Columbus Ronald McDonald House. Looks like they decorated a ton of sugar cookies!
Short clip of their rehearsal today. Looks like Kaitlin and Jean-Luc have a fun routine planned. :)
Nice group photo during today's rehearsal.

I'm kinda worried about the arena - it doesn't look like it has a lot of capacity. I hope they are able to raise a lot of money.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Q&A with Kaitlin and Jean-Luc http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/qa-kaitlin-hawayek-and-jean-luc-baker

They are keeping their Liebestraum FD. I`m very happy about this, the program was tailored perfectly to their strengths and I`m looking forward to see it again :)

oh yes, I agree - this FD highlights their personality and chemistry as a duo in the most honest, pure, perfect way. It was skated beautifully at NHK, but I feel that there's still a room for growth of it and people's appreciation for it. I will be never of that program, because it gives me a sense of being content, being blessed by such grace of Kaitlyn and Jean-Luc.

Anyway - the base, as for FD, is already there, so they can focus on even more on good, strong and impactful SD, perfecting levels etc.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
apparently, there was some Ice Dance competition (?) in Chicago are here are Kaitlin and Jean-Luc's dances:

SD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0eb6czxb4U ('Get busy' by Sean Paul/second piece I do not know/'Fireball' by Pitbull)
FD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE_eYj7wnaw (Liebenstraum by F. List)

I have to say - SD is not yet fluid and detailed, but I'm positive and excited about this - there are some lovely touches, musicality and transitions. Love, love love their rhythmic movement, Kaitlin's hands finishing of movement and Jean-Luc's leading. Partial step sequence needs probably the most work, they also have to pay more attention on twizzles and non-touching step sequence to not fall too apart from each other.

nimi

Medalist
I have to say - SD is not yet fluid and detailed, but I'm positive and excited about this - there are some lovely touches, musicality and transitions.
Agreed!

As far as Latin hip & shoulder action goes, I'd say Jean-Luc is in a (gents) league of his own among the SD performances we've seen this far.
(Disclaimer: this is a lay person's opinion/impression. Any actual ice dance/latin dance experts around here who would care to chime in?)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Agreed!

As far as Latin hip & shoulder action goes, I'd say Jean-Luc is in a (gents) league of his own among the SD performances we've seen this far.
(Disclaimer: this is a lay person's opinion/impression. Any actual ice dance/latin dance experts around here who would care to chime in?)

yes, Jean-Luc is one of my faves in Ice Dance male partners - he has that quiet quality and commanding presence at the same time and he really has an unique ability to present Kaitlin and himself equally well. Those batucadas at the very end of the dance - :love:

I think it needs just time to be skated as much as possible and needs polish - both in general sense and in particular technical elements. I would also see Kaitlin in more 'edgy' dress - this bright orange just does not sit right with me, but it's just first impression.

caitie

Medalist
I like the new SD, but I'm skeptical about the twizzle placement. Kaitlin struggles with the twizzles in general, and while I understand why they are placed at the end for musical/aesthetic purposes, but it seems unnecessarily risky to me.

Ender

Match Penalty
I like the new SD, but I'm skeptical about the twizzle placement. Kaitlin struggles with the twizzles in general, and while I understand why they are placed at the end for musical/aesthetic purposes, but it seems unnecessarily risky to me.
Maybe for some reverse effect?

musicfan80

Medalist
I greatly enjoyed Kaitlin and Jean-Luc's SD at Skate Canada today! GREAT JOB! :yes:

Good Luck to them in the FD - It looks like they are in the final group. :biggrin: I'm not sure how far they can move up, though.

sunn1ly

On the Ice
I really liked their SD. Jean-Luc is really one of the best partners out there. The Bg commentator prised him quite a lot for his body movements and latin expressiveness and arms. So do i :)

caitie

Medalist

I've felt the twizzle placement was wrong from the first time they performed the program, and they've lost points on them in both of their competitions so far. I really think they need to move them. If the idea was to give Kaitlin less time to overthink them, it isn't working. Even a team like Virtue and Moir has moved up their twizzles when they were struggling with them later in the program.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I absolutely love the FD, so glad they decided to keep it. Great job, and a very decent score in their first gp of the season!