Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker

musicfan80

Medalist
So excited about Kaitlin and Jean-Luc's performance & result at Skate Canada! They need to increase their difficulty and skills, but I think they will work on it in the next Olympic quad.

I really hope that they get selected for 4CCs this year! :yes:

slider11

Medalist
Another oops on the SP twizzles at the Golden Spin. C'mon, it's time - move those twizzles or change the entry - something!

rosacotton

Final Flight
Kaitlin and Jean-Luc skated like they were in a dream. So happy they finally delivered at Nationals!:yahoo:

GGFan

Record Breaker
Finally!!!! We've been waiting for so long for them to deliver this program clean on the big stage. Gorgeous!! :yahoo::love:

I love that it manages to be a program under the new system but it still flows like a program from the old system.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Honestly they were fabulous in both programs

I was out of town so I only just watched the short. I love the last third!! Jean-Luc's back :clap: The twizzles :love: My babies had nice edges in pattern too :thumbsup: (despite the fact that I hate the music during that part). I agree with Tanith that they can still take it up a notch in energy and passion in the first two thirds. But it finished great so it leaves a wonderful impression.

I also rewatched the free many times and I'm dying to watch them live because their ice coverage and power seems much improved. I also need to give her props because she has stepped up her game! :hap93:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Based on what skills they have, I would not be surprised if they win the 4CCs.

they really do have a chance - there's some new confidence and quality in their skating in the second part of the season, really. Way more attack, but also more control and calm in their step, I really do hope they have found a balance and 'peace' in their skating which will get them on new heights. The FD is simply magical, one of my all-time ID favourite programs, I have to say that I may not be a rapt fan always of Camerlengo/Krylova's creations, but boy - when they create a masterpiece, it lasts forever, and this is one of them. And Jean-Luc and his skill...regardless if he does samba roll body action in SD or flowing on edges to classical music he's just owning the stage in such understated way, not 'in-your-face-I'm-fabulous-queen' harsh way; and he's one of a few guys who really understand the power of presenting your partner and projection created together. He and Kaitlin are perfect together in every sense for me, because when I see them, I enjoy THEM as a team foremost, being able also to digest qualities and individuality presented by them separately.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is worth noting that teams that go to Olympics and do well often choose not to go to Worlds. It is very likely that we may see Jean Luc and Kaitlyn at Worlds as well as 4cc's, because they are the first alternates!

That FD of Kaitlin and Jean-Luc’s at US Nationals was sublime! I have seen glimmers of brilliance from them in past skates but this one knocked it out of the ballpark. I have no doubt they can win 4CC and I do so hope I’ll get a chance to see them at Worlds since their skills are definitely worthy of a top-10 team.

When you consider they can represent a range from Liebestraum to Austin Powers, polar opposites in character, I just love the diversity of performances they can carry off so well.

Well done! I’ll look forward to enjoying their dancing over the next quad.

To NoNameFace…what you said! That is pure poetry...like H/B's skating. :agree:

slider11

Medalist
It is worth noting that teams that go to Olympics and do well often choose not to go to Worlds. It is very likely that we may see Jean Luc and Kaitlyn at Worlds as well as 4cc's, because they are the first alternates!

I agree if ANY of the US teams pull up to Olympic bronze I think that team will choose to skip Worlds. Interesting that of the top 3 US teams, all 3, 2, 1 or 0 of them could retire after this season. There are some talented teams in the wings waiting for their chance.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:hap10:
Kaitlyn and Jean-Luc won their first ever senior ISU championship at 2018 4CCs!

There is a long interview with them in this GS article:
https://goldenskate.com/amp/2018/01/2018-four-continents-ice-dance/

and they are being discussed in this thread:
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?69215

Here's their EX from 4ccs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkPiBk58sDI

So glad to skate that SD without obvious errors!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ImnGxMYXWU

The FD was a bit better at Nationals; here's the 2018 4CCs version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-p26xHB2I8

It is hard to break through in ice dance in the US! I am so glad they won 4CCs. It has got to help. I want to see more of Jean Luc in the future.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
They get to go to World's. Finally! Really looking forward to seeing how well they compete on the big stage. Also, of course the captivating Liebstraum.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
They get to go to World's. Finally! Really looking forward to seeing how well they compete on the big stage. Also, of course the captivating Liebstraum.

I am beyond ecstatic for them!

slider11

Medalist
Bravo, Kaitlin and Jean-Luc, for your 10th place finish at Worlds! I would have scored the FD higher but I don't think the placement would have changed. Regardless, you have a bright future! Now find another vehicle as special as "Liebestraum" for next season!

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Does anyone know what is happening with their coaches? Splitting and going to Moscow? Who should they go to?

slider11

Medalist
Does anyone know what is happening with their coaches? Splitting and going to Moscow? Who should they go to?

Have not heard that rumor. So Carmelengo and Krylova are splitting? One of them is going to Moscow? If so, I would suggest Kaitlin and Jean-Luc consider the Marina/Massi team to help them with lifts and give them an interesting vehicle for next season.

slider11

Medalist
Just Anjelika is moving to Moscow, so they can continue with Pasquale

Mmmhhhh... Curious split of a coaching team that seemed to mesh strong technical and artistic abilities with their skaters. They have lost top students over the last couple years and maybe Anjelika feels a Moscow base will attract promising Russian students. If Kaitlin and Jean-Luc move to Marina/Massi they could retain their Detroit base. I'm sure some serious chatter going on with the skaters. If a change is to be made, this is the time for Kaitlin and Jean-Luc.

Barb

Record Breaker
Mmmhhhh... Curious split of a coaching team that seemed to mesh strong technical and artistic abilities with their skaters. They have lost top students over the last couple years and maybe Anjelika feels a Moscow base will attract promising Russian students. If Kaitlin and Jean-Luc move to Marina/Massi they could retain their Detroit base. I'm sure some serious chatter going on with the skaters. If a change is to be made, this is the time for Kaitlin and Jean-Luc.

I think everything get worse when Massimo left them and went to Marina, and the Shibs improved when Massimo arrived to Canton. Igor is not the same, I think Igor and Pasquale should associate.