Karen Chen wears skating dress to Barbie showing | Golden Skate

Karen Chen wears skating dress to Barbie showing

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh lord, I went to an open mic night for local writers and the owner of the cafe, usually a rather retro/bohemian little place, is clearly a Barbie fan and dressed the whole place up in pink like the dollhouse. With a sparkly pink photo booth. I spent the whole evening as far away from it as possible...

Karen looks lovely but then she does have gorgeous taste in skating dresses, several of hers are among my favourites.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Back in the Stone Age, Barbie was the only doll I would play with as a kid (drove my mother crazy, no baby dolls for me. ) because she could be anything: a lawyer, a doctor, a supermodel, and all at once. :)

I only personally know two people who went to Barbie this weekend, one of whom is a young adult and dressed up, and they loved it. Both would probably consider themselves counterculture kind of folks, but they unironically liked it. I'm too old to stand in line for a movie, but it looks like fun.

Karen does have gorgeous costumes. Mama Chen did a great job.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Karen looks beautiful, as always. As for movies, I'd rather see Oppenheimer, though.

Well, when we attended the "Sing Along Sound of Music". I was tempted to put on a white dress with a blue sash, but it was a very hot day, so I wore shorts & a t-shirt. I did take a box which I wrapped up in brown paper & tied it with string. There were people in attendance who dressed up as nuns, or in lederhosen, along with someone who pinned many cottonballs to her clothes ("How do you catch a cloud & pin it down?" from "How do you solve a Problem Like Maria?"). It was a fun event!

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I rarely go to movies (if I do it is because it is in 3D and I LOVE 3D movies. Otherwise I wait until they hit the streaming services, which isn't typically a long time.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Have you gone to either Barbie (or Oppenheimer) this weekend? What did you think? Did you dress up? :)

Love that Karen wore one of her costumes.

Although I'm a doll collector, my few Barbies are ones in historical costumes, not the present-day or career girl ones, so not too interested so far. And I wait for films to come out on DVD so, if the reviews have made it sound like one I want to see, I can buy it to watch at home whenever I want and keep to rewatch for as many years as I want. The last time I went to see a real movie in a real theatre was in 1989 when Gone With the Wind had its 50th anniversary, and my husband and I were out celebrating one of the milestone wedding anniversaries (not, however, our 50th :love:).

Thank goodness there wasn't this fad about dressing in costume then for *that* movie!:)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Although I'm a doll collector, my few Barbies are ones in historical costumes, not the present-day or career girl ones, so not too interested so far. And I wait for films to come out on DVD so, if the reviews have made it sound like one I want to see, I can buy it to watch at home whenever I want and keep to rewatch for as many years as I want. The last time I went to see a real movie in a real theatre was in 1989 when Gone With the Wind had its 50th anniversary, and my husband and I were out celebrating one of the milestone wedding anniversaries (not, however, our 50th :love:).

Thank goodness there wasn't this fad about dressing in costume then for *that* movie!:)

I have not seen a movie in a movie theatre in many a moon, and Grammy and Gramps finally cut the cord and watch everything by streaming now. We even figured out the Firestick.:laugh: When Barbenheimer comes to streaming, we may watch.

I've never dressed in character for a movie either, but I have certainly been to ones back in the day where they did. Like Rocky Horror Picture Show. I wasn't that into the movie, but it was so fun watching people who were. And I don't mind throwing rolls of toilet paper. ;)

If young 'uns want to revive dressing up for Barbie, I say unironically bless :)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I have not seen a movie in a movie theatre in many a moon, and Grammy and Gramps finally cut the cord and watch everything by streaming now. We even figured out the Firestick.:laugh: When Barbenheimer comes to streaming, we may watch.

I've never dressed in character for a movie either, but I have certainly been to ones back in the day where they did. Like Rocky Horror Picture Show. I wasn't that into the movie, but it was so fun watching people who were. And I don't mind throwing rolls of toilet paper. ;)

If young 'uns want to revive dressing up for Barbie, I say unironically bless :)
Pink dresses for them to watch Barbie, cute. :love: Huge hoop skirts for a showing of Gone With the Wind?:laugh: (Now I keep thinking of other awkward impossibilities for audience costumes -- suits of armour for Henry V? Unwieldy spacesuits for Apollo 13.....)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
In case you aren't aware, the post that @el henry linked to that Karen put up yesterday is actually a follow up to a post that she put up on Saturday:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvAo2CzRc1H/

How cute is little Karen in photo #1?! :love:

But, that's hardly a surprise. Let's face it, Karen is cute all the time! ;) :biggrin:

It's interesting to see how many of Karen's skating dresses are similar to dresses that Barbie wore. I wonder if that was intentional. Was she actually choosing dresses for her programmes that reminded her of dresses from Barbie dolls that she played with when she was a youngster? That would be the ultimate compliment to the designers of Barbie's outfits, to know that their handiwork provided inspiration for a top level skater.

Anyway, I hope she enjoyed the film.

CaroLiza_fan

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And what you'd wear for 50 Shades of Grey? :slink:

The Frank N Furter cosplayers (we didn't have that word back then, but it fits) at Rocky Horror Picture Show showings had those costumes almost 50 years ago. Just recycle them. :biggrin:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I'll confess to abysmal ignorance. I've seen the title of that book/movie, but don't know what it's about. I get the feeling, though, that a long floaty ice dance dress of layers of chiffon in shades of grey wouldn't work?:scratch2::biggrin:. (Come to think of it, I don't really know what that Rocky Horror Picture Whatsit is about either. My popular culture world is sadly restricted.)

A Norwegian friend in the doll collecting world posted a picture on Facebook today of her teenage daughter and niece at a Barbie showing in Bergen. The girls were in their ordinary clothes, but they'd had their pictures taken in a human-size Barbie box in the theatre lobby. I thought that was a really cute idea :popcorn::clap:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'll confess to abysmal ignorance. I've seen the title of that book/movie, but don't know what it's about. I get the feeling, though, that a long floaty ice dance dress of layers of chiffon in shades of grey wouldn't work?:scratch2::biggrin:.
Ummm. Not.... quite, no :rofl:

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Perhaps this?
2002-italians-barbara-fusar-poli-and-maurizio-margaglio-1515795129.jpg

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
but the hats have to go 🤣
And most of the costumes (no I have not seen the film or read the book, but social media osmosis means I know way to much about it. And Twilight. And GOT. And Harry Potter. And.....)