Kazakhstan skaters appeal for help with unfair expulsion | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kazakhstan skaters appeal for help with unfair expulsion

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Gosh, I hope that’s not the end of Shaidorov’s career. He just got a spot in GP too… is Kazakhstan trying to pull out of figure skating as a sport they support?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Lots of skaters who are Russian citizens are representing other feds and still competing internationally. This shouldn't be an issue at all, sounds more like a cheap excuse.
Exactly. If he represents Kazakhstan, he is not a subject to Rus/Belo ban. There are lots of athletes who train out of country they represent & more with every season.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
My impression is that the functionaries are fighting for influence in the federation, but none of them are really interested in developing figure skating in their country.
Did they retain Voronov as a coach? I don’t think they had that many skaters to begin with, so, it really looks bizarre…

Amei

Record Breaker
Lots of skaters who are Russian citizens are representing other feds and still competing internationally. This shouldn't be an issue at all, sounds more like a cheap excuse.

Might be an excuse, I know the Kazakhstan fed has had a lot of issues, but it might be we don't know what's going on behind the scenes on the Russian/Belarussian born skaters who represent other countries, Trusova had a master class planned in Sweden with a sportswear company, the Swedish fed demanded it be cancelled... that demand happened after complaints from the ukrainian fed to the Swedish Fed and the ISU.

https://www.sports.ru/figure-skatin...-ukrainy-obrashhalas-k-shveczii-s-prosbo.html

Last edited:

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Did they retain Voronov as a coach? I don’t think they had that many skaters to begin with, so, it really looks bizarre…
Voronov was invited by Oksana Ten. She was accused of nepotism, as Voronov had no coaching experience to become the head coach of the national team. It was also said that Voronov had only worked with very few skaters. After the scandal, Oksana said that Voronov had received death threats. In February, the position held by Oksana Ten was abolished and a new national team coach was chosen.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Voronov was invited by Oksana Ten. She was accused of nepotism, as Voronov had no coaching experience to become the head coach of the national team. It was also said that Voronov had only worked with very few skaters. After the scandal, Oksana said that Voronov had received death threats. In February, the position held by Oksana Ten was abolished and a new national team coach was chosen.
Oh, okay. Sounds like in-fighting at its best. Fingers crossed Shaidorov will hang on somehow. 🥹

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
AFAIK, and I had very little knowledge before these posts, but I did have some, the Kazakhi Fed is a mess. Always has been. Before 2022. (Post D10.😥)

But this is 😧

noeleyle

On the Ice
Here's some update (and good news) from Gaukhar:
We would like to announce that all the issues and conflicts raised in the appeal were constructively considered and, we consider as of today, settled.
We understand that the federation operates within the laws and regulations of the ISU. And we are ready, together with the federation, for joint cooperation for the development of figure skating in Kazakhstan. Perhaps we are not fully informed about the interpretation of various norms in sports legislation. I hope these inaccuracies will be corrected into a uniform understanding!
At the same time, taking into account our early results and a great desire to raise the flag of our country in international competitions, as well as wishing to win a license to participate in the next Olympic Games, the federation sent a petition to the Ministry of Culture and Sports. And behind them is the final decision on enrolling me in the National Team.
Together with Boisangur, together with the coaches and the Federation, we will do everything for the development of sports in Kazakhstan. We will make every effort to adequately represent Kazakhstan in ice dancing. Thanks for understanding @qaz.iceteam management. Thanks to @sportodagy for being the first to react to our situation and staying with us until the end, supporting us 24/7 not only morally, but also legally. Thank you. You are the real defenders of all athletes. Many thanks to the media for covering the issue. And special thanks to ALL THE PEOPLE OF KAZAKHSTAN! Without your support, we wouldn't have been able to do it. Thanks to the unity of our people, We were able to come to a solution to our problem!

noeleyle

On the Ice
AFAIK, and I had very little knowledge before these posts, but I did have some, the Kazakhi Fed is a mess. Always has been. Before 2022. (Post D10.😥)

But this is 😧
I don't think it existed before d10 anyway lol. Denis sort of did everything that the fed should had done himself. Sponsorship, propaganda, masterclass for young skaters, etc. Now that he's gone I don't think there's any individual willing (also able) to do so much in KAZ. More people need to be involved if this issue should be well solved in the future.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
That's disappointing. I thought the skaters filed a joint complaint, but apparently it wasn't the case, or they got different treatments. :/ Fingers crossed for the Kazakh skaters...