Kazuki Tomono | Page 126 | Golden Skate

Kazuki Tomono

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Kazuki is such a ray of sunshine, and his galas are so special ^ ^ I want to see him skate live one day... 🀞
Btw has he had an introduction yet in the Fuji TV series of articles where they present hopeful Nationals participants?

KiraraChin

Medalist
So... it seems Kazuki won't have a Fuji TV introduction article after all #DisappointedButNotSurprised πŸ˜‘
BUT he was featured yesterday on Fuji TV's countdown on Twitter, together with the two other Kazukis (Kazuki Kushida and Kazuki Hasegawa)

As FujiTV normally leaves the top skaters to the end, at least he was featured a bit closer to Nats compared to last year.

There is also an article about him on Kyoto Sports, but behind a paywall: https://www.kyoto-np.co.jp/articles/-/695691

* About the fight for first alternate, on paper is between Shun and Kazuki, but who knows... Keiji always does super well at Nats, plus Sota and Koshiro have shown at Warsaw Cup that they can get huge scores if clean. I think it'll be definitely interesting to watch, more interesting than the podium IMO.

Figskater23

Final Flight

Figskater23

Final Flight
So... it seems Kazuki won't have a Fuji TV introduction article after all #DisappointedButNotSurprised πŸ˜‘
BUT he was featured yesterday on Fuji TV's countdown on Twitter, together with the two other Kazukis (Kazuki Kushida and Kazuki Hasegawa)

As FujiTV normally leaves the top skaters to the end, at least he was featured a bit closer to Nats compared to last year.

There is also an article about him on Kyoto Sports, but behind a paywall: https://www.kyoto-np.co.jp/articles/-/695691

* About the fight for first alternate, on paper is between Shun and Kazuki, but who knows... Keiji always does super well at Nats, plus Sota and Koshiro have shown at Warsaw Cup that they can get huge scores if clean. I think it'll be definitely interesting to watch, more interesting than the podium IMO.

Oh so that’s what that was. I saw the picture but I didn’t know what the article was about. Him as an alternate? Kazuki has it in him to be one of the top three to represent Japan at the Olympics. He was very strong during the GP at least from what I saw.

KiraraChin

Medalist
FINALLY!!! Kazuki's FujiTV introduction article: https://www.fnn.jp/articles/-/287546 😲
I must confess I wasn't expecting it so late in the game, so this is a nice surprise.

Google Translate is a bit messy, but it's a nice read. Really nice summary of his journey so far, and he's feelings going into Nats this year.
I really like this bit in the end:
"The biggest goal is the podium, or maybe I have to be in first place, so the difference is wide (in the Olympic competition). I really intend to do something, something is possible. With the feeling that I will never give up, it is possible that I could see it because I had accumulated it so far, and I just want to do my best. My goal is to do it"

You can do it, Kazuki 😭✊

What was he doing in that picture where he is wearing what looks like a kimono and has a drink in his hand with him laughing? He must have been just having a good time with friends at a restaurant.
Basically, every skater gets to choose one favourite picture for their profile. So one of Kazuki's hobbies (or rather, passions) is going to Japanese saunas! So he chose a picture in which he was having a cold drink after being in the sauna, which he said it's the best feeling. Funnily enough, two other Japanese skaters (Kosho Oshima and Yuto Kishina) also chose sauna pics as their favourite pics, and we know Kazuki was the one who introduced them to saunas, so he is effectively turning team Japan into a bunch of sauna aficionados πŸ˜‚

ETA: welcome back, @Figskater23, nice to see you again in this thread ☺️

Last edited:

Figskater23

Final Flight
FINALLY!!! Kazuki's FujiTV introduction article: https://www.fnn.jp/articles/-/287546 😲
I must confess I wasn't expecting it so late in the game, so this is a nice surprise.

Google Translate is a bit messy, but it's a nice read. Really nice summary of his journey so far, and he's feelings going into Nats this year.
I really like this bit in the end:
"The biggest goal is the podium, or maybe I have to be in first place, so the difference is wide (in the Olympic competition). I really intend to do something, something is possible. With the feeling that I will never give up, it is possible that I could see it because I had accumulated it so far, and I just want to do my best. My goal is to do it"

You can do it, Kazuki 😭✊

Basically, every skater gets to choose one favourite picture for their profile. So one of Kazuki's hobbies (or rather, passions) is going to Japanese saunas! So he chose a picture in which he was having a cold drink after being in the sauna, which he said it's the best feeling. Funnily enough, two other Japanese skaters (Kosho Oshima and Yuto Kishina) also chose sauna pics as their favourite pics, and we know Kazuki was the one who introduced them to saunas, so he is effectively turning team Japan into a bunch of sauna aficionados πŸ˜‚

ETA: welcome back, @Figskater23, nice to see you again in this thread ☺️
He isn’t going down without a fight that’s for sure. You go Kazuki! πŸ™ŒπŸ»πŸ‡―πŸ‡΅ He can make the podium but it will be an intense fight for sure. A cold drink after being in the sauna sounds nice. I wonder what kind of drink it was? Do saunas have a place where you can drink something afterwards? Of course Kazuki would introduce other skaters to the sauna. After all he is the figure skating sauna man. Thanks KiraraChin 😊

KiraraChin

Medalist
We have official practice reports! πŸ™Œ
First, his run-through (free skate): 2T 2S 4T 3Lo (holds on ) 3A-1Eu-3S
That seems normal for him, Kazuki's normally meh in the first official practice.

Article: https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2021/12/22/kiji/20211222s00079000420000c.html (Google Translate):

Kazuki Tomono "Don't give up on your dreams" All Japan Championship official practice​

The All Japan Championship, which will be the final selection for the Beijing Olympics in figure skating, will start on the 23rd at Saitama Super Arena.

Official practice was held at the venue on the 22nd, and boy Kazuki Tomono (Central Sports) responded to interviews online. "I moved my body comfortably and carefully checked each jump while checking the atmosphere of the venue," recalled the 30-minute adjustment.

γ€€The four years after the Pyeongchang season are said to be "four years that have come toward the goal of the Olympics." He finished third in the Grand Prix (GP) series at the Rostelecom Cup. The 23-year-old, who said, "The quality of everything is improving," turned to the front, saying, "I want to hit all Japan without giving up on my dreams."

Also, there has been a little TV clip featuring both Kazuki and Sota: https://tver.jp/corner/f0092967
It's free to watch with a VPN set to Japan! I don't understand the language but I could feel the determination of both boys through the images πŸ”₯

A cold drink after being in the sauna sounds nice. I wonder what kind of drink it was? Do saunas have a place where you can drink something afterwards?
It definitely seems so! The caption of the picture reads: This is a picture of drinking Oronamin (a mixture of Oronamin C and Pocari Sweat) after the sauna in my favorite sauna. It's the best moment.

I don't know exactly what Oronamin is, but it looks super refreshing!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the updates, Kirara! And of course, good luck to Kazuki at Nationals! He sounds very determined. If I were to post a prediction, I would put him in 4th or 5th place. :)

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Another article on Kazuki:

Kazuki Tomono: "I will never give up on my dream until the end."

Kazuki Tomono (Central Sports), the men's skater who placed third in the sixth round of the Grand Prix (GP) series in Russia in November, practiced his free program. Here's what Tomono had to say after the practice.

β€œI'm just going to do what I've been doing. I skated today, feeling good about my body and taking in the atmosphere of the venue. During the GP series, I went through quarantine for a little while, but I was able to practice a lot. Unlike four years ago, I've been working towards my goal of the Olympics for four years. I hope I can show the results of my four years of work, and I want to compete in a way that will make me feel that I have grown.

(In the past four years), I have improved my overall level. The quality of my jumps has been improving, too, as I've been able to do jumps which used to be just landing, but now I've been able to execute jumps which can get a positive GOE score if I execute them well, and I think the quality of everything has been improving. I want to skate in my own way, with confidence, making the most of my strengths.”

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thank you so much, rRainbow!
Kazuki will be the #27 to skate today, the first in the final group.
I'm so nervous! It seems he skipped the jumps in the SP run-through today, as he has done in the GP series.
Best of luck, Kazuki!

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Kazuki took 7th in the SP. Yahoo article:

In the men's short program (SP), Kazuki Tomono (Central Sports), the fifth-place finisher at the 2006 World Championships, scored 87-79.

He skated to "New Cinema Paradise" and danced gracefully. He was planning to do a quad-triple toe loop combination at the beginning of the program. but the second 3T turned into a double. "I was worried about my jumps," he said. In the following quadruple salchow, his landing was very unstable. In the second half of the triple Axel, which is worth 1.1 times the base points, he did not let the mistake affect his performance and landed it cleanly. "I had some negative thoughts. I was able to perform calmly, but I think I was a little impatient," he reflected.

Going into the free skate on the 26th, he said, "I'm just going to do it, and I want to show what I've done," hoping to make a comeback.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thanks, rRainbow! Kazuki's skate today wasn't perfect, but it wasn't a disaster and he's still pretty much in the mix - less than 10 points between him and 3rd place. Hoping for a Nats 2019-style performance tomorrow :pray::pray::pray:

Protocol: https://twitter.com/Tomono_Infonet/status/1474348743189471240?t=uoVVPIjmdufaMGZqyb-B6g&s=19
He got all his levels!
He'll be skating on Sunday at 8:07, the last in the third group.

KiraraChin

Medalist