Kazuki Tomono | Page 125 | Golden Skate

Kazuki Tomono

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
It's a real pity, with fair judging he could have made it at least in the list of substitutes. He's currently 12 in the standings, but if he won his well deserved gold in Russia and placed fifth in Italy, now he would have 22 points as Shun Sato.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Kazuki tweeted he's back home: https://twitter.com/naniwatomono/status/1465539663112781825
That makes me feel relieved, considering all the travel restrictions being enforced at the moment. I hope he has a peaceful quarantine and can fully focus on his preparation for Nats now :pray:

He posted a funny IG story yesterday, 'Business trip to Russia': https://twitter.com/KiraraChin/status/1465245501553582080

Absolute Skating posted a summary of what he said in his interviews, some I already posted here but it's worth checking it out: https://www.instagram.com/p/CW2neksoao6/

Some cute illustrations of Kazuki at Rostelecom:

Some pictures of Team Japan:

ETA: Nice avatar @Giu :love2:

KiraraChin

Medalist
Yay for Kazuki at the Nagoya Festival again! 🤩

There was a really nice article/interview published on Asahi Shibum today: https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASPCZ53D9PCYUTQP001.html
It seems that he talks about his feelings over the last three years, and plans for the future. Sadly, it's behind a paywall, if anyone has access to it please share 🙏

Meanwhile Kazuki won Skating Score's Fan awards: https://twitter.com/SkatingScores/status/1465843688190484483
Both his SP and FS. I'm really glad to know that so many fans enjoyed his performances.

Also wanted to share some nice Kazuki pictures from Rostelecom:

https://twitter.com/_m2x2_/status/1464721843496136710 (This one is probably one of my fave pics ever! The Yuzu banner in the background makes me tear up)

Finally my own dig at ISU when I saw their IG story 😅

KiraraChin

Medalist
It's so nice to Kazuki getting so much recognition :love2:
Dave Lease from TSL said something along the lines of: 'Kazuki makes me love skating again'.

I'm sure you guys seen it by now, but Misha posted about Kazuki on insta too. He must be soooooo proud.

Also, Nobu made a video about Rostelecom, and he starts off talking about Kazuki: https://youtu.be/fJ2bffgzomo
Sadly, there are no English subtitles 😢

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Do you think that if GPF is postponed after Worlds, some of the list who have no advantage in World Standings if they compete there would decline? Because Kazuki's an alternate I believe? He may have a chance?

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I finally saw Kazuki's Rostelecom FS today. Have to say I agree with you guys. He should have won. For the first time I was sold on all of his LLL, but it was not rewarded enough. The audience at the arena knew better how to reward Kazuki than the judges 🙁

KiraraChin

Medalist
Yeah, unfortunately Kazuki didn't qualify for the Grand Prix Final nor he is one of the alternates, so the cancellation/postponement doesn't really affect him. Having said that, I really hope he gets at least one more opportunity to get some world standing points in the second half of season :pray:

Meanwhile, Jackie Wong and Tara Nichols talked about Kazuki on the latest Ice Talk podcast, there is a clip here and the link: https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1466451360010969090

If you are a Kazuki fan and understands English, please check it out! If you don't understand spoken English, don't worry, I will provide a transcript over the weekend ☺️

Last edited:

KiraraChin

Medalist
As promised: The transcription of Jackie's and Tara's comments about Kazuki on the Ice Talk podcast. Hope you enjoy it 😊

Tara: So, Jackie, I’m gonna ask you, what event do you want to start with, is there one person in particular, or one performance, that you feel like we have to go back and talk about from the weekend in Russia.

Jackie: So, I want to talk about Kazuki Tomono, to be perfectly honest. Because, you know, if you follow me on Twitter, you know that I had some feelings about the results, the final results of the Men’s event. But, let’s not talk about the results. Let’s actually talk about his skating, which, you get… There is a certain amount of rawness, and actually, kind of unrefined quality about his skating, that when you intermix with his enthusiasm, and the way he just throws himself into the entire choreography of the programme, it really works. Like, so… his toes might not be pointed in the way that you wanted them to be pointed, but he is putting everything that he’s got into his programme, and… Frankly, the fact that at the end of the free skate, that he has the stamina to summon up the energy to put out of the most joyous choreographic sequences that there is in any programme this season, it’s just like… I couldn’t help but watch that programme and watch how invested he is in that programme, and be like… You know, this is just… This is really fun, great skating. So, you know, he won the short programme, which was amazing, he’s not known for being the most consistent skater in the world, and… We know he can do it, he was like 5th in the world, 6th in the world or something like that in that one season and… he’s been trying to get back to that form, right, and this was as close to that as we have gotten, especially in the short programme, and in parts of the free skate. So, you know… I thought he should have won, I thought that his components were not actually fairly scored. This is where, some of that, like ‘Hey, judges, there are five different components’, like, ‘Don’t score them all the same’. That’s one of the things when I looked at his scores and I was like: Not only were his component scores fairly even across the board, from skating skills through interpretation, but like… The fact that his skating skills were scored higher than his interpretation!? And his composition of programme, and his choreography… Like, that was mindblowing to me!? He should have been getting 9s with that programme.

Tara: He’s such an interesting skater to watch, because you’re right there, there’s that little bit of chaos (Jackie laughs)… Like, you’re on the edge of disaster sometimes (laughs). But it’s also what’s really refreshing, and it feels so genuine (Jackie says yes). It’s not like, maybe we can talk about this later as well, but I feel like sometimes choreography and interpretation, that can all be trained. It can all be like, ‘ok, now smile here’, ‘ok, now point your finger’, ‘ok, now…’, and while that can create something very beautiful, that’s very different than seeming like, a genuine, sincere interpretation of the programme, or whatever the storyline or whatever the music, or whatever the moment is. He’s one of those skaters that everything feels very genuine and sincere (Jackie agrees), and… when you look at the podium, and even some who were just off the podium, their strengths are very different, but perhaps the scores don’t reflect that in the way that it seems like they should to accurately judge what their strengths really are, and what maybe their weaknesses really are, and it shows up in a situation like this, where you feel like, ‘wait a second’ (laughs) from a performance standpoint, there seems to be clear separators, and you know, it really didn’t show up that way in the scores.

Jackie: Going back to your observation of Tomono’s sheer enthusiasm and sheer, sort of… I don’t know, abandon (Tara agrees) in how he skates… There’s maybe no better match of choreographer and choreographee as him and Misha Ge, who as we know from his skating, Misha’s skating, it’s as much as that, you know, wild abandon as you can get… You know, Misha’s is more of a refined abandon than Kazuki, but there is this sort of symbiotic quality about their choreographic relationship that really works, and you see a lot of Misha’s enthusiasm in Kazuki’s programmes but Kazuki makes it his own. Right? I think that’s the thing that works so well.

Last edited:

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
Thank you Kirara

I feel like this could be the beginning of something new, something important, I don't seem to remember him receiving such important recognition in the past. This could be the confidence boost he needed and hopefully also JSF will notice that.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thank you Kirara

I feel like this could be the beginning of something new, something important, I don't seem to remember him receiving such important recognition in the past. This could be the confidence boost he needed and hopefully also JSF will notice that.
You're very welcome 🥰 I agree with you, and I really hope he's aware he's getting so much recognition and he's feeling more confident now (I really wish I could read the Asahi Shimbum article in which he speaks about his feelings after Rostelecom). I will try to transcribe TSL's comments as well if I have time this week.

Meanwhile, let me share some nice pics of 'Bills' I found on Instagram:

surimi

Record Breaker
Soooo.... it seems that we finally found out why Kazuki has been wearing UNO1 gloves. Shoma said he gave them to him after Kazuki forgot to take his own gloves to practice. He said the same happened to Yuma, but not Keiji - Keiji never forgets his stuff 😂
You know, I am just astonished that Shoma himself didn't forget. 😄
And thank you for the transcription of Ice Talk earlier!

KiraraChin

Medalist

surimi

Record Breaker
A 20-something-minute video of Kazuki, Shun and Yuma in Shizuka & Friends popped up at me on YT today, but I couldn't find it afterwards. Does anyone know better than me where it is? Searching for vids on YT drives me crazy... but, I have managed to find all Kazuki programs this season, from Japan Open to Rostelecom gala, and I've put them in Kazuki's media segment, yay. ^ ^

KiraraChin

Medalist
A 20-something-minute video of Kazuki, Shun and Yuma in Shizuka & Friends popped up at me on YT today, but I couldn't find it afterwards. Does anyone know better than me where it is? Searching for vids on YT drives me crazy... but, I have managed to find all Kazuki programs this season, from Japan Open to Rostelecom gala, and I've put them in Kazuki's media segment, yay. ^ ^
Thanks for updating! I had a look but I couldn't find the Shizuka & Friends video, sorry 😔