Keiji Tanaka

surimi

Shan Ben Cao Tai, keep fighting! ^ ^
Record Breaker
Thank you for the explanation and Part 4! I am glad to finally hear Keiji say confidently 'I want to show who I am' instead of 'I want to change myself and show a new me'. What a relief!
Also, good luck to Keiji, although it should be an easy win for him - his regionals are in three days! ‼️💪

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Page 4, 1 of 2

Deep down I’ve been wanting to skate to the music of my choice.

--Tanaka-san, I understand you’ve left the music choice up to your choreographer so far.
K: When it comes to gala music, I’ve often picked the music as I want to skate to my favorite music, although it may be for my own self-satisfaction. On the other hand, I’ve asked my choreographer to select the music, since I wanted an objective point of view.
If I choose the music, it’s too much my style and I get comfortable right away. It’s so easy to get into it that I get tired of it. But if the music was chosen by my choreographer, it’s hard to imagine myself skating to it, so by trying to grasp what the music is about, I enjoy practice more. It’s worth working hard. By doing so I hope I will discover a new side of myself and make progress.
But, somewhere in my heart, I’ve always wanted to skate to the music I chose….
Medvedeva senshu skated to “Sailor Moon” for her gala, and I thought she beat me to it. Despite the fact that the main character is Japanese, who is in a Japanese anime, a foreign skater did it ahead of me. I felt kind of defeated. Later, I did “JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure.”
E: “JoJo” was good. I sound like a broken record [laughter].
K: That’s fine. I’ve been listening to “Eva” soundtracks all the time and I really like many of them. Especially after doing “JoJo” I started wanting even more to spread the attraction of anime music in the figure skating community.
Then, I listened to the soundtrack of “Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time” and I wanted to skate to it.
E: Which part?
K: The opening combat scene where Mari was fighting. It’s in the first 10 minutes of “Eva”....
E: Isn’t it too new? [laughter] They’ve only released the high definition audio version so far….
K: When I listened to that music, I was absolutely dying to skate to it. I thought “I definitely have to skate to it.”
After I listened to it, I didn’t think it was right for me to use it for a gala. I’d rather use it for a competition program to show how serious I am. What’s more, I want to do it in my competitive career.
E: Wow! You are going to do it in competition.
K: It would be meaningless, if I didn’t do it in competition. That’s my gut feeling.
Everyone: What…..!!
K: And, I already got the program put together.
Everyone: Whaaaat!!!!
K: Of course I cannot show it in public yet. I’m really determined to show it only after the movie is released.
E: We’d better hurry up and release the movie already.
K: I’m totally fine. I can wait.
In fact, when I thought about when and where, I wanted to do it in my competitive career. I would do it for no one else but myself. I happened to listen to the music while I was on the Shinkansen train, and inspiration struck me, “I’ll definitely skate to it.”
E: (to Eva staff) How about that?
[The staff was buzzing with excitement.]

- To be continued to the last part –

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Last part:

“Eva” gave me a chance to keep challenging myself.

K: It happened in July last year. But I had already gotten a new program for that season, so I thought about doing it next season. The BGM of “Eva” made me decide to skate to that music, and now this is the season I’m ready (due to the coronavirus it is postponed to next season).
E: Thank you very much.
K: I think “Eva” gave me a chance to continue challenging myself more.

--Tanaka-san is 25-year old. This year is the 25th anniversary of “Eva” so you were born in the same year and grew up with it by odd coincidence.
E: It looks like Tanaka-san’s life was changed by “Eva.”
K: The choreography has been finished already.
But I ended up postponing the program because of the coronavirus. Even though I cannot use it this season, after one year’s hard work, it will be more polished next year. I’m thinking positively that the postponement of “Eva” gives me more time working towards perfection. I am ambitious and determined to skate to that music no matter what.
E: I’m really looking forward to seeing it.

--In the preparation meeting you also said that you had been avoiding the music of your style for competitive programs, and that’s all the more reason to try it in competition this time.
K: Another reason is trendiness. It may sound strange but in figure skating, competitive skaters, especially in competitions rather than in ice shows, get more attention. I think the Japanese Nationals held around Christmas time is the most watched competition, so I am eager to do it there. In order to do that, I have to be a competitive skater doing the competitive program.

--I suppose anime music has not been used for competitive programs……
K: Not for competition. I’ve used “Spirited Away (2016)” and “JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure (2018)” for galas though. I’m a fan of Shiro Sagisu who composed the soundtracks to “Eva” series and I’ve wanted to skate to his music piece someday. Then, I came across the amazing piece he created, which I would absolutely love to use. It’s so fantastic.
The only thing is, that track (“11170 CH edition 0706”) has no clearly distinguishable characteristics of “Eva.” For the gala, I want to skate to “The Cruel Angel's Thesis.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6wtDPVkKqI
It is impactful and you can easily see right off the bat that it is an “Eva” song. There are some music pieces I want to use for the gala, and I want to keep them in mind but work on the competition program first. The movie ”Neon Genesis Eva” will be released and I want to skate to its soundtrack around the same time.
E: I’m so sorry it was delayed.
K: No, I can wait. No problem.

“Eva” covers a range of natural human emotions.

--You two have been given a list of questions. The question Tanaka-san found the hardest to answer was the last one, “What is the heart of an early teenage boy like?”
E: Although among us he is the closest in age to a young boy [laughter]. He is a young man, not much older than a teenage boy.
K: As soon as I saw the question, I looked it up on the net. I was trying to figure out what it is…..
E: You googled it! [laughter]
K: I googled it but I couldn’t find good answers.
In my opinion, it is “being unfettered.” Because he is honest and pure, he absorbs things easily and for better or worse, he can go in various directions. He can be easily influenced by various environments.

--He has room for growth.
K: For example, if he mingles with bad kids, he easily gets influenced. Depending on the environment he may grow up to be a great man, or go in the other direction and turn bad. I guess a middle schooler goes through a difficult stage.

** Skipping the rest of Evangelion talk
-THE END-

KiraraChin

Medalist
Wishing good luck to Keiji at regionals, I hope he has now recovered his jumps after the stay and home period and injury.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Keiji's SP at regional on Sept. 26 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv84X4VqzTA
Due to the right knee injury sustained about 1 month ago, he downgraded his jump layout to avoid quads.
He said that he was not straining himself and resisting the temptation to jump quads. He admitted that it was his mistake to play the wrong music at the start. The interruption of performance cost him 3 points, but he placed 1st with 66.97 and going into the FS next day.

surimi

Shan Ben Cao Tai, keep fighting! ^ ^
Record Breaker
I saw Keiji's program on Youtube. He can really sell them and I agree he deserves his PCS. Even his spins looked well-timed to music. I was entertained throughout the programs, and he looked like he didn't look short of energy.
But I shake my head at the judges who gave 69 points to a short program with 2A, 3S and a messed up 3-2 combination. Seriously, no matter Keiji's persuasive performance, this reeks of favoritism to me. I doubt the judges would be this lenient with most other Japanese men.
So, while I am appreciative of Keiji's performance and am no less of a fan, I think he got extremely generous scores for the technical content he put out. That said, I hope his knee gets better soon and he can skate the program to their full potential.

KiraraChin

Medalist
I agree, Keiji definitely benefited from 'reputation score' at regionals!
It'll be interesting to see what happens at sectionals, because the field with be a lot more competitive: Kazuki and Sota with quads, and other guys with 3A + all the triples, like Ryuju and Mitsuki. He'll need to recover his other triples + 3A if he wants to podium, I think...

On the other hand, he does seem and sound fairly injured still, so he shouldn't push himself too much otherwise he can make the injury worse and jeopardise his chances at nationals. I wish good luck to Keiji, because it's a tricky balance...

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Keiji's FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ijMHU-C2c
Music is missing most of the part.

Gist:
Keiji won Chubu with 192.18 overall, 125.21 for FS. Again, he didn't put in quads due to his knee injury and skated cleanish.