Kim undecided on Worlds | Golden Skate

Kim undecided on Worlds

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Figure skating star Kim Yu-na has yet to make a decision on whether to appear at this season’s ISU Figure Skating World Championships.

More

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I hope that if she does continue to remain eligible she competes in more than just Worlds and Olympics. The sport desperately needs her star power in Grand Prix and other events. Sometimes I wish these skaters would think about not only what is best for them but what is good for the sport that made them a star in the first place.

mskater93

Record Breaker
They have to consider what is best for them from a health and long term well being standpoint, not "what's best for the sport that makes them stars in the first place". Do you want them all to end up like Tara Lipinski or Michelle Kwan? Unable to hardly walk and needing hip surgery before 30? Top tier skaters take a lot of wear and tear on joints, muscles and bones. Pretty soon there will be documentaries about the injuries and premature ravages on the body like there are about former NFL players.

prettykeys

Medalist
I hope that if she does continue to remain eligible she competes in more than just Worlds and Olympics. The sport desperately needs her star power in Grand Prix and other events. Sometimes I wish these skaters would think about not only what is best for them but what is good for the sport that made them a star in the first place.
Sometimes I wish skating fans would think about not only what they want but what is good for the skaters who make the sport in the first place.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
OMG Yuna has done so so much for the sport of figure skating and beyond already in her mere 21 years. Besides setting standards and bringing enjoyment and inspiration to so many around the world, she has turned Korea into a nation of most enthusiastic and paying skating fans, creating employments and incomes for a number of elite skaters. (She has thus even contributed to the current Mens Champion's achievements by employing him in her shows and helping pay for his training.) Besides inspiring and fascilitating the new generation of Korean figure skaters, she worked so hard in bringing the Winter Olympics to her nation, thus contributing to the development of winter sports in Asia. And then there are her charities and humanitarian effort such as acting as an UNICEF ambassador. Meanwhile, she has had no real life and normal experiences as a teenager and a young adult. I wouldn't be surprised if she is now physically and mentally exhausted.

We wish for her to give more but we have no right to ask for such. Hopefully, after a period of rest and reflections, she may find new inspiration and motivation to continue competing in figure skating. We would be lucky. But even without competing, she is likely to continue contributing to the sport in some ways. She has said she would most probably still be skating at 30 when the question was posed to her.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker

Actually, by doing all the philanthropic work and by not appearing on the GP circuit, Kim is doing good things for the sport of figure skating on two levels:

1. Her notoriety is helping show everyone that figure skaters aren't just athletes, but also people who do good things (UNICEF, Special Olympics). She's doing this while she is still an Olympic-eligible skater. Most skaters who do things like this wait until after they retire.

2. By not appearing on the GP circuit, she is letting other skaters step up to the plate. That way, when she does finally return to competition, it's not just Kim vs. Mao, but could potentially be Kim vs. Mao vs. Mirai vs. Sotnikova vs. ___

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
1. Her notoriety is helping show everyone that figure skaters aren't just athletes, but also people who do good things (UNICEF, Special Olympics). She's doing this while she is still an Olympic-eligible skater. Most skaters who do things like this wait until after they retire.

Well, Kim has the star and earning powers to do more than most other skaters who have to struggle financially just to train. Many of them do however, give what they can to the sport, communities, and various causes during their young competitive careers.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Well, Kim has the star and earning powers to do more than most other skaters who have to struggle financially just to train. Many of them do however, give what they can to the sport, communities, and various causes during their young competitive careers.

Very true, again, showing why her not competing at the moment is ultimately a good thing. She has also popularized the sport in a country, where ten years ago, the senior ladies champion wasn't attending the Olympics because she couldn't qualify. One day, Korea might be like Japan--again, we have Kim to thank for that.

aftertherain

Record Breaker

I think it is quite unfair to call her selfish.

Much of her life has been dedicated to the sport of figure skating and to being some sort of face for South Korea. To my understanding, she financially supports the Juniors in her federation. It might not be the kind of "unselfishness" that you want, but you cannot deny that it is something that be catagorized as "good for [her] sport". Even last year, when she only competed once was dedicated to the Pyeongchang 2018 campaign. I would say that that is not only to the benefit of herself, but to South Korea and possibly the Winter Olympics as whole.

I do hope no one blames her for being reluctant to go to Worlds. She deserves a legitimate break from everything. She'll definitely have obligations and responsibilities that need to be fulfilled, of course, but I think this would be a good opportunity to focus on things other than figure skating, like perhaps school or just taking a break. We all know that she's worked very tirelessly on projects, and it shows in photographs as she sometimes has bags under her eyes.

As for star power in ladies' figure skating, I think it's about time someone else rose to the occasion. The veterans (Mao, Miki, etc.) seems to be adamant on taking some sort of break, and I don't blame them either.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Hmm. My early guess is that it's a no for Kim at worlds. Too bad for us the fans but I agree she has done more than enough for figure skating _ and still is doing _ and should do what feels right for her own life. Last year, she was clearly burned out and struggling to find motivation to keep competing after winning the Olympic Gold. This year it seems to be no different. Maybe she'll get to the middle of the fall and realize she misses competing though, you never know.

Agreed. If there's one skater who doesn't "owe" skating anything, it's Kim. She's created a huge new fan base in Korea, she's pretty much singlehandedly made Korea a skating power, and she's built a wonderful skating show that has energized audiences in both Korea and the U.S.--a show that gives a lot of top skaters an exciting performing opportunity. Add to that all her charity work and other endeavors, and there's nothing YuNa needs to justify about her contributions to sports and to life in general. Oh, and did I mention her efforts on behalf of the Korean Winter Olympics? When I think of what a lump I was at her age....Contribute to society? I wouldn't have known where to begin.

I'll be disappointed not to see her skate competitively this year if that's what she decides, but I certainly will understand why. This girl spreads herself so thin that you can practically see through her. I'd hate to see her burn out or make herself sick. Let her rest and get out from under the pressure. Then if she wants to compete for the pre-Sochi year and Sochi itself, she'll know why she wants it. And we, her fans, will be thrilled to welcome her back into the arena.

christinaskater

Medalist

She has done so much for the sport already.

I do hope she pursues a 2nd Olympic gold medal! That would really be amazing!

The sad thing is, usually the motivation of skaters go down after winning the Olympics because they won all there is to the sport and they want to end on a high note.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agreed. If there's one skater who doesn't "owe" skating anything, it's Kim. She's created a huge new fan base in Korea, she's pretty much singlehandedly made Korea a skating power, and she's built a wonderful skating show that has energized audiences in both Korea and the U.S.--a show that gives a lot of top skaters an exciting performing opportunity. Add to that all her charity work and other endeavors, and there's nothing YuNa needs to justify about her contributions to sports and to life in general. Oh, and did I mention her efforts on behalf of the Korean Winter Olympics? When I think of what a lump I was at her age....Contribute to society? I wouldn't have known where to begin.

I'll be disappointed not to see her skate competitively this year if that's what she decides, but I certainly will understand why. This girl spreads herself so thin that you can practically see through her. I'd hate to see her burn out or make herself sick. Let her rest and get out from under the pressure. Then if she wants to compete for the pre-Sochi year and Sochi itself, she'll know why she wants it. And we, her fans, will be thrilled to welcome her back into the arena.
I'm not sure i would call South Korea a skating power just yet. Besides Yuna there doesn 't seem to be another world class skater from S Korea at the moment.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Apparently I have upset some people with my post, so I should clarify.

I don't think she "owes" the sport anything. What I do believe, and I think it's fair, is that if you choose to remain eligible, and you train and compete in Worlds and Olympics, it does help the sport to participate in more than those two events. All of this contributing to society is great for her country, and great for her, but it isn't engaging the casual fan and improving the dismal television ratings. No top skater likes to do the Grand Prix.

I don't think it's fair to cite Lipinski's injury as an example of why she shouldn't participate in an event other than Worlds. If she's fit enough for Worlds, can't she work it in her schedule to do one or more events that would bring visibility to the sport?

LuCN

Rinkside
well,let see it in another way.

let her stay in competition and loose to others,loose her fame,become injured,can't compare to the younger generation.....or let her continue to be a legend,use her fame and fan base to promote figure skating to the public especially in South Korea?

if pull her to GP series,how many fans will she attract?hardcore most figure skating fans will go there whoever come.and for people who just go there for Yuna,competition maybe boring and dissapointed if she didn't win.and they may not come to see skating any more.why not begin with shows?I went to Atristy on Ice and AOIshanghai,many people who never know figure skating go there for S/Z,and enjoy it.then some of them go to Cup of China.

let Yuna keep healthy and happy,do more shows around the world as long as she can ,make public intersted in figure skating...I think it's a good way to promote figure skating.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't think it is a fair assumption that a skater will suffer career threatening injuries by participating in more than one competition per year. I understand perfectly that a skater's legacy is measured in World and Olympic titles, and those are really the only events the top skaters care about. If a skater is (a) healthy and (b) fully intends to remain eligible for Worlds and Olympics, it is not asking too much for her to participate in more than one competition per year.

Look, I know these skaters want to do other things (Michelle is interested in politics, Sasha tries to act, Yuna likes to sing) and those also promote the sports and show the world how truly talented these women are. I just think that being able to skate in Worlds and the Olympics is such a privilege that as long as you intend to participate in the competitions in the future you have at least some duty to promote the sport by competing in ISU events (again, assuming the skater is healthy).

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I think the question then becomes will Kim's actions, absent of competing, promote the sport? I think so - professional skating, promotion of the 2018 Winter Olympics, continued support of upcoming juniors (including funding them).... all will benefit the sport and the ISU, whether directly or indirectly.

L

lowtherlore

I think she said if she decides to compete, she would consider going to at least one event (like 4CC) prior to Worlds. I don’t know how realistic it would be to expect her to get ready early in the season for GPs, given her commitment to other things.

brightphoton

Medalist
They have to consider what is best for them from a health and long term well being standpoint, not "what's best for the sport that makes them stars in the first place". Do you want them all to end up like Tara Lipinski or Michelle Kwan? Unable to hardly walk and needing hip surgery before 30? Top tier skaters take a lot of wear and tear on joints, muscles and bones. Pretty soon there will be documentaries about the injuries and premature ravages on the body like there are about former NFL players.

Tara Lipinski, I can understand, but Michelle is a strange example, as she had a uncharacteristically long career. Did Michelle need hip surgery? I thought her groin was bothering her in 2002.

I doubt Kim is going stay around for another Olympic cycle. Yes, she talks a lot about the love of the sport and hard work and whatnot, but I'm going to put my bet on her retiring soon.

I think Michelle did have some kind of hip surgery, actually. But in principle, I agree with you, brightphoton, because Michelle was remarkably injury-free through her long career, except for the stress fracture in her foot and that ending leg problem in 2006. Tara, of course, is another matter.

Like you, I have doubts about how long YuNa will remain active in competitive skating. This is the second year in a row that she's not planning to take part in most of the season. I do hope she figures out a way to continue her pro skating career, at least. It does seem as if she enjoys being so deeply involved in producing and appearing in shows. Maybe that's more rewarding to her now. After all, she has the OGM, and she won it in a particularly impressive and inspiring way. What more does she need to prove?