Kim undecided on Worlds | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Kim undecided on Worlds

prettykeys

Medalist
Most of these points were addressed by other posters already, but since you don't address them carefully, here it is to make it easy for you.

Assumption #1: That skaters (YuNa Kim and her ilk) think only about what is best for them, and not about what is good for the sport
I hope that if she does continue to remain eligible she competes in more than just Worlds and Olympics. The sport desperately needs her star power in Grand Prix and other events. Sometimes I wish these skaters would think about not only what is best for them but what is good for the sport that made them a star in the first place.

Contradiction #1:
However, continuing to compete is a privilege and, to me, is something you have to earn.

Basically, what troubles me is if a skater competes in only 5 competitions in an Olympic cycle (4 Worlds and an Olympics). To me, that is not giving back, regardless of what you have done in the past. People are going to watch the Olympics (and to a lesser extent the Worlds) anyway, so those are not the events that the ISU needs star power to promote.
Every event good skaters skate in constitutes "giving" in the sense of better promotion and higher prestige for the event (ANY event, including Worlds and Olympics.) Moreover, you are arguing that the sport needs skaters to participate in competitions, and yet competing is somehow supposed to be an exclusive privilege. If skaters felt the price of that privilege was too high to pay and started dropping out, I fail to see how that is helping the sport at all. In fact, the sport stands more to lose under such a concept and that is probably why Speedy hasn't mandated any kind of punitive measure on top skaters who decide to skip the GP

FlipFlop #1: Maybe it is the GP's fault after all
I understand your perspectives a bit better now, specifically regarding the length of the season and having to remain in peak form for so long. I'm not picking on Yuna here; I have found the participation of top skaters in GP events problematic for years. The "conspiracy theorist" in me suspects that in some cases skaters who don't participate actively in events are slightly undermarked in important events (Kwan at 2005 Worlds, Cohen's SP at 2010 Nationals, Plushenko at 2010 Olympics, Yuna at 2011 Worlds). Maybe the answer is to shorten the season or have fewer GP events but expand the fields.

Contradiction #2
It's frustrating and unfair that you so grossly construe my argument just because you don't like the underlying premise. Here is the point, so if you are going to be so critical at least be fair and criticize my main point:

If you are only competing in Worlds and Olympics, sure that helps the ISU and your figure skating federation.
See
Sometimes I wish these skaters would think about not only what is best for them but what is good for the sport that made them a star in the first place.
According to drivingmissdaisy, helping the ISU and your figure skating federation is somehow being toooooo selfish and not thinking about what is good for the sport.

Assumption #2: Which skater expected heavy promotion and great marks while skipping the GP? Don't know where this one came from, refer to skfan's request for evidence of an attitude of entitlement
I just don't like a skater showing up to the ISU's premiere event, expecting heavy promotion and great marks, and not have participated in lesser events that undoubtedly struggle with live attendance and viewership.

(It's not clear to me how parents' financial sacrifice even benefits the ISU to an extent where it would need to repay injured skaters.
It's not clear to me when anyone made such a statement. Ergo, you are completely missing skfan's point which he/she had to assert again.

Unspoken assumption #3: That what is good for skaters for personal reasons somehow cannot coincide with being good for the sport. It seems more like YuNa isn't doing as much for figure skating as you would hope she would do for it. This is exactly why people think you are saying she OWES anything to figure skating to begin with - your posts add up to saying that she should do more. And why is that? I agree with skfan in that figure skaters and their families "invest in advance" and bear the heavy burdens of all the risks. ISU and figure skating wouldn't have flinched if YuNa had failed, so where does this sense of obligation on her part to "give back" come from (and further creates assumption #4 with a dash of opinion: that what she has done in the world of figure skating still isn't enough.)

Please do get surgical with my posts if you have the time, I certainly don't think I contradicted myself but it is within the realm of possibility. I just didn't think any topic was "hands off" on this board as long as you tried your best to explain yourself and were respectful to others. Apparently that isn't the case.
More bawww. This topic is clearly not hands-off, as we are engaging you.

everybody wants to see Yuna skate more - the ISU, the fans, and her global sponsors like Samsung, and the TV networks.

I would love to see Yuna compete in GP events as well as the worlds.

But if she doesn't, and only competes at the 4cc and the worlds,

1. Is that still better than her not competing at all? Yes.

2. Should she get a lower score for the same performance just because she didn't participate in GP events? Heck No.

I think most everyone here can agree to the above two questions/answers.
Sums it up perfectly.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Okay, but here you said.

I think if you are healthy and able to compete in the GP and are planning to compete in a World or Olympic competition, I would like to see that skater participate. Does this apply to a skater who isn't healthy? No. Does this apply to now-retired skaters like Michelle Kwan or Katarina Witt? No. That's all; it isn't an attack on any particular skater, it's just a principle I believe in.

But by dimissing those skaters as not being headlining acts, you're making the assertion that once a skater achieves a certain level of notoriety/popularity, the rules should be different (excluding the injured skaters, of course). So why should Ryan Bradley be dismissed from competing (though in this specific example, he was retired and coming back, though that doesn't explain him missing 4CC) whereas Kim's decision sparks a discussion about rules?

jaylee

Medalist
I just don't like a skater showing up to the ISU's premiere event, expecting heavy promotion and great marks, and not have participated in lesser events that undoubtedly struggle with live attendance and viewership.

Yu-Na never showed up to Worlds "expecting heavy promotion and great marks", and took great care to avoid mentioning a specific goal in terms of score or placement.

She made it clear she was return to competition because of her fans, and she said all her goals had been satisfied because she had won everything already, so it had nothing to do with individual glory either. If you disagree with her decision, fine, but don't inaccurately portray what she felt going into the competition.

Incidentally, because Yu-Na decided not to do the GP this season or last, that opens up two spots to lower-ranked skaters who wouldn't have gotten a GP assignment otherwise (or a skater who only had one assignment now gets two, and thus an opportunity to qualify for the GPF). So Yu-Na skipping the GP actually helps lesser-known skaters with less experience get more exposure and a chance to establish themselves in front of the judges, the audience, get ISU points (for a higher ranking which helps in terms of what half of the draw they get sorted into at Worlds) etc. Which seems to me like something that helps other skaters in this sport. After all, the ISU actually CUT the number of GP spots this year and in addition, they are "allowing" top skaters to go to 3 GP events if they wish. Which is a rule that helps the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

The judges have been very generous with her, essentially awarding her the OGM before Mao had a chance to skate. Turns out she was the best that competition anyway (by a mile), but she has been a great representative for the sport and if you think that doesn't play some role in any skater's mark then I think you are a bit naive.

If you admit she was the "best [at] that competition anyway (by a mile)," then a high score (by a mile or so) seems appropriate. I'm not really sure what you think the judges should've done, refrained from punching in her score until Mao had skated? :sheesh: It's not 6.0, there's no need to give Yu-Na a lower score simply because she was skating earlier in the group. And, both Mao and Joannie Rochette broke 130+ for free skates which was quite generous considering their errors.

It is problematic when you frequently have winners in ISU events like Grand Prixs who will absolutely not factor into the medals at Worlds. It diminishes the importance of those events as a result.

Like...who? Couldn't that be because they did well on the GP but for whatever reason, had a poor competition at Worlds? Who is winning GP events and not factoring into Worlds, and what does that have to do with Yu-Na Kim? :confused: Were the medals supposed to be automatically given to those who had medaled on the GP, and anyone who didn't compete on the GP be barred from winning?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Okay, but here you said.

But by dimissing those skaters as not being headlining acts, you're making the assertion that once a skater achieves a certain level of notoriety/popularity, the rules should be different (excluding the injured skaters, of course). So why should Ryan Bradley be dismissed from competing (though in this specific example, he was retired and coming back, though that doesn't explain him missing 4CC) whereas Kim's decision sparks a discussion about rules?

Bradley didn't have GP assignments anyway. The rules should apply the same for all skaters, but this thread is about Yuna and how she brings star power to events and less about skaters you cite who, for the most part, didn't compete because they were injured or didn't have GP assignments.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Most of these points were addressed by other posters already, but since you don't address them carefully, here it is to make it easy for you.

Assumption #1: That skaters (YuNa Kim and her ilk) think only about what is best for them, and not about what is good for the sport

Contradiction #1:
Every event good skaters skate in constitutes "giving" in the sense of better promotion and higher prestige for the event (ANY event, including Worlds and Olympics.) Moreover, you are arguing that the sport needs skaters to participate in competitions, and yet competing is somehow supposed to be an exclusive privilege. If skaters felt the price of that privilege was too high to pay and started dropping out, I fail to see how that is helping the sport at all. In fact, the sport stands more to lose under such a concept and that is probably why Speedy hasn't mandated any kind of punitive measure on top skaters who decide to skip the GP

FlipFlop #1: Maybe it is the GP's fault after all

Contradiction #2
See
According to drivingmissdaisy, helping the ISU and your figure skating federation is somehow being toooooo selfish and not thinking about what is good for the sport.

Assumption #2: Which skater expected heavy promotion and great marks while skipping the GP? Don't know where this one came from, refer to skfan's request for evidence of an attitude of entitlement

It's not clear to me when anyone made such a statement. Ergo, you are completely missing skfan's point which he/she had to assert again.

Unspoken assumption #3: That what is good for skaters for personal reasons somehow cannot coincide with being good for the sport. It seems more like YuNa isn't doing as much for figure skating as you would hope she would do for it. This is exactly why people think you are saying she OWES anything to figure skating to begin with - your posts add up to saying that she should do more. And why is that? I agree with skfan in that figure skaters and their families "invest in advance" and bear the heavy burdens of all the risks. ISU and figure skating wouldn't have flinched if YuNa had failed, so where does this sense of obligation on her part to "give back" come from (and further creates assumption #4 with a dash of opinion: that what she has done in the world of figure skating still isn't enough.)

More bawww. This topic is clearly not hands-off, as we are engaging you.

Sums it up perfectly.

This hazing is getting a bit silly, so let me just clarify and move on, quit picking on people who don't agree with you.

Assumption #1: I absolutely think it is better for the sport for its top skaters to compete in more than one event per year. It is clearly not in some skater's best interest because they arent doing it. That's my opinion. Deal with it.

Contradiction #1: Not a contradiction. I think if you want to compete in an upcoming Worlds that season you should do the GP. The number of events or the length of the season does not change that.

Contradiction #2: After I said it helps the ISU, I said it's really about promoting the skater's legacy. Figures you would ignore that piece of information.

Assumption #2: It's not even clear to me what you are trying to say here. But I guess it's an assumption if you say so (?)

And please don't accuse anyone "unspoken assumptions". You have already twisted my words enough. Seriously though, why do you get so angry over this?

prettykeys

Medalist
This hazing is getting a bit silly, so let me just clarify and move on, quit picking on people who don't agree with you.
Quit accusing people of "picking on you" and "grossly [mis]construing" your arguments just because we allegedly "don't like" your opinion or disagree with you. I am not "hazing" you just because you are some new kid on the block; your posts simply aren't well-written, your argument is not seemingly well-thought-out and you express yourself in a passive-aggressive manner while ignoring many reasonable counters and questions.

Contradiction #2: After I said it helps the ISU, I said it's really about promoting the skater's legacy. Figures you would ignore that piece of information.
Um, I didn't ignore it, I just fail to see how a skater promoting their own skating legacy...is a bad thing for figure skating? Praytell, how does a skater nurturing their ambitions to create or expand a legacy harmful to the sport? LOL? Usually it's the opposite.

And please don't accuse anyone "unspoken assumptions". You have already twisted my words enough. Seriously though, why do you get so angry over this?
You have twisted your own words, and I am not angry. All I can say is that you kind of asked for it (and evidently not just from me.)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Okay, but here you said.

Ryan Bradley didn't compete at 4CC's in 2011 because he was not assigned to 4CC's. The USFS assigned Mahbanoozadeh, Abbott, and Adam Rippon to that event. All 3 skaters had skated relatively poorly at US Nationals and did not qualify for Worlds, but USFS wanted them to have a chance to compete at the event, rather than any of the medallists at the US Championships: Bradley, Dornbush & Miner.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

You might not be aware of it, but you are displaying all the behaviour like some bad politician, exploiting an issue that is a non issue, care so much about your public facade because wanting to appear legit, yet your self serving statements are topsy turvy and the core of your manifesto is rotten.

ISU is not the employer of the sport, they are the ones that is suppose to serve the interest of the sport and the skaters (Although at times they can be self serving, it can lead to people think they deserve it). And actually, the true employer of this individual sport are the skaters themselves, many are self-funded along with their federation and sponsors are the catalyst for the sporting industry who's growth are certainly depended on how they do, how they perform, what they buy, what they wear, who they perform with at the shows, which shows, attract new fee paying public, and new skating interests etc.

Besides, which sport in this world should single out any particular champion to pressure them into participate in less important competition (3/4 competitions, 1 medal) for the good of the sport. For the good of the sport is actually they step aside gracefully and let others have a chance. Your entire argument seems absurd because it is targeted to one single skater who did not break any rules.

Which leads me to think what is the motivation behind your statement.
There're only 3 possible outcomes from her participation

- Winning (what is the point? She won 4/6 times straight years already, and already have the WC and the OC, won by miles. Let others have a go!)
- Losing (Beaten, may be that is what you really want? Is it really good for the sport?)
- Injured (Is that what you want? Is it good for the sport?)

Humanbeings are not robots, what is the point of winning if they can't at least enjoy the fruit of their labour and do something worthwhile with it for the betterment of others and themselves? Yes that include the good of the sport.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Ryan Bradley didn't compete at 4CC's in 2011 because he was not assigned to 4CC's. The USFS assigned Mahbanoozadeh, Abbott, and Adam Rippon to that event. All 3 skaters had skated relatively poorly at US Nationals and did not qualify for Worlds, but USFS wanted them to have a chance to compete at the event, rather than any of the medallists at the US Championships: Bradley, Dornbush & Miner.

Right, but it demonstrates the Kim isn't the only one who made her first international competition Worlds.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
can we move on from this privilege / entitlement / paying respect to the sport issues... I think people here have made their points eloquently and there is really no need for personal attacks.

Bottom line is, as someone said, the rules in this sport allow the champions to skip "regular season" and participate only in the "playoffs" or the "championship". If that is an issue, it is an issue to be taken up with the sport's governing body, and not with the players who follow that rule. Plus, honestly,I don't think you can view Grand Prix even as a "regular season" - the field is limited and essentially by invitation which leaves out many skaters - and it seems to me that in figure skating, there is no "regular season", but just bunch of individual tournaments, some obviously more prestigious and important than others.

Plus, by any logic, a champion who at least continues to participate in the few "major" tournaments is doing MORE for the sport than a champion who chooses not to participate in any other event after becoming a "champion".

Finally, let's look at the past Olympic Champions:

1992 - Kristi Yamaguchi - gone the next season
1994 - Oksana Baiul - gone the next season
1998 - Tara Lipinski - gone the next season
2002 - Sarah Hughes - participated at Worlds the next season (skipped Grand Prix) and gone the following season
2006 - Shizuka Arakawa - gone the next season
2010 - Yuna Kim - participated at Worlds the next season (skipped Grand Prix) and ?

Based on this track record, if Yuna were to participate in ANY tournament this coming season, she would be doing more than any other past Olympic Champions in the past 20 years, and if I were the sport's governing body, by god, I would award her an appreciation plaque just for breaking this trend!

Now, as a fan of Yuna, I want to say this, as this thread is actually about Yuna being undecided about the Worlds (not Grand Prix).

I just want her to continue to compete because I think she is still in top of her game, and I want her to further build her legacy by going after records such as Michelle's 5 WC wins (which she will not likely break now after giving away 2 golds during the last two WCs), matching Witt's 2 consecutive Olympic Golds (which remains a possibility) and prolonging her own record of never finishing off the podium in her entire career (which is amazing).

In other words, just like in other sports, I want to see the best athletes continue to challenge themselves for historic milestones - like Tiger going for Jack Nicklaus's record, and Federer/Nadal piling up Grand Slam trophies. It's not about beating today's competition, which all of these said athletes have proven, but going against the ghosts of the past greats. As a sports fan, you want to see that.

Maybe Yuna doesn't have this drive, or maybe she thinks she is not capable, or that her body cannot handle it, or maybe she dreads the commitment and sacrifice that will be required. Or maybe she is just saving herself up to go for the long haul, so that she can even compete at the 2018 Olympics in her home country.

jatale

On the Ice
Now, as a fan of Yuna, I want to say this, as this thread is actually about Yuna being undecided about the Worlds (not Grand Prix).

I just want her to continue to compete because I think she is still in top of her game, and I want her to further build her legacy by going after records such as Michelle's 5 WC wins (which she will not likely break now after giving away 2 golds during the last two WCs), matching Witt's 2 consecutive Olympic Golds (which remains a possibility) and prolonging her own record of never finishing off the podium in her entire career (which is amazing).

In other words, just like in other sports, I want to see the best athletes continue to challenge themselves for historic milestones - like Tiger going for Jack Nicklaus's record, and Federer/Nadal piling up Grand Slam trophies. It's not about beating today's competition, which all of these said athletes have proven, but going against the ghosts of the past greats. As a sports fan, you want to see that.

Maybe Yuna doesn't have this drive, or maybe she thinks she is not capable, or that her body cannot handle it, or maybe she dreads the commitment and sacrifice that will be required. Or maybe she is just saving herself up to go for the long haul, so that she can even compete at the 2018 Olympics in her home country.

Thanks for you last post. I do expect, however, that Yuna is going to retire from competition, at least for now. She seems to be seeking other avenues to pursue like volunteer activities, hosting TV shows, etc. The expectations people (especially Korean people) have placed on her are just overwhelming and she seems exhausted from trying to deal with them and enjoy training at the same time.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
If Yu-Na does compete in future GPs or worlds...wonderful.

If Yu-Na does not compete in future GPs or worlds...that's fine too.

That is the way of the sport. People come and people go. It's always been that way so I don't see what the big deal is. If she wants to hang out during the regular season and then take a run at worlds, why shouldn't she? It's obvious from last year's worlds that the judges haven't decided that if Yu-Na competes, she's wins. She'd have to put forth the effort, and don't really know if she wants to or should.

Personally, I think she has the goods to stay in for a few more years, possibly to Soichi. But to be honest given the way some of her uber-fans and detractors go on and on about her competing and not competing, what she's doing right and what she's doing wrong...if I were her I'd say "fcuk it" and move on.:sheesh: The expectation, the pressure, the vitriol...who the hell wants to deal with that kinda stuff year after year? Especially when she's won the major titles and cemented her place in history...

For some reason, people just won't allow her space to make decisions and decide what she wants to do with her career and her life. I don't understand it...:disapp:

YunaBliss, what an interesting statistic! It certainly proves that already, YuNa has done more than most Olympic champions post-Olympics. I also agree with jatale that the pressure on her must be enormous. Given that, I hope she chooses a path that keeps her in skating (maybe by skating exclusively in shows and exhibitions), but if she doesn't decide to continue with the grind of competitive skating, it would be understandable. How hard it must be for her to maintain the amazing record she's built up! And there's no reason for her to do so. What she's achieved will stand forever, even if some future skater gets a higher point score or skates all quads. What's even nicer to contemplate, she'll make even more of a mark in both skating (with the wonderful shows she's put together in Asia and North America) and in some form of public service--and even as a singer if she wants.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Don't forget that Yuna will be appearing with An Evening With Champions on 10/15 and 10/16 in Boston. What a treat for her fans on the
East Coast to have a chance to see her skate live and for such a good cause. Cant' wait!!

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Just throwing this out here, but perhaps her decision to go to just Worlds might have another factor: to secure (at least) two spots for S.Korea so her juniors have a chance to appear on the World stage.

Last edited:

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Yu-Na Kim may or may not have decided whether she wants to skate at Worlds but I'm sure the Korean Federation will make up her mind for her before the entry due date. Without Yu-Na there is no second spot for Korean Ladies at Worlds. I got the distinct impression that Yu-Na didn't want to be there last year since she looked so unhappy on the ice.

jatale

On the Ice
If the Korean Skating Federation makes any demands on Yuna, she should tell them in no uncertain terms to leave her alone. Period.

lcd

Match Penalty
From the observations made over the years, including those from before the Vancouver Olympics, there seems little question that skating is foremost for Yuna, a job. The joy and fun - while it may have gone out with the level of success she has had (probably inevitably) - but I agree with those who observe that she seems less and less willing to "fake" like she is enjoying herself. She has accomplished so much, given so much to her sport and national pride already, the pressures and the burden must be enormous. I suspect she has already decided in her own mind (though, of course, WHO KNOWS) but is largely saying she is undecided so that interest simply does not go away in terms of the prospect. That would be my guess.

lan8

Match Penalty
Just throwing this out here, but perhaps her decision to go to just Worlds might have another factor: to secure (at least) two spots for S.Korea so her juniors have a chance to appear on the World stage.
That may be a major factor, but I still think that's not a valid reason, by itself, for continuing to compete if she doesn't want to. The reason why is because if she secures two spots for next year, she would take up one of those two spots for London, Canada Worlds 2013, leaving just one spot for one other SK skater. SK and every ISU member federation is allowed a minimum of one entry at worlds, providing of course that they meet minimum qualification standards/scores. So what's the point of her skating just to get two spots for next year when either way, there would only be one spot for a SK skater other than Kim? Year after year after year. When would it end? Is she going to do this for the SK federation until the 2018 Olympics or beyond? At some point, honestly, SK's young skaters really need to start being solely responsible for gaining multiple spots for the next worlds/Olympics, not just depend on Kim every year. This may only make sense if 1) Kim were to somehow get three SK spots for the next year's worlds, but it hasn't happened yet in the five years in which she has medaled at worlds, and due to the inconsistency of other SK skaters, I don't think it's going to happen; or 2) if Kim got 2 or 3 spots for next year, and does NOT appear at the following worlds.

I just think if she's not happy competing and cannot commit 100% to the sport, I think she should just move on with her life. Firmly say no to the SK federation, which has undoubtedly been pressuring her to continue to compete. If she does decide to compete at worlds, she really needs to participate in at least one or two competitions immediately prior to worlds, even if she skips the Grand Prix series. Otherwise, due to lack of live competitive experience, she's just not going to perform well, like what happened at 2011 worlds. The only medals that matter for her now are the world and Olympic gold medals. Anything less, and competing would be pointless, in my opinion, unless if she's looking to collect 10 silver and bronze medals.

Last edited:

sunny0760

On the Ice
I just think if she's not happy competing and cannot commit 100% to the sport, I think she should just move on with her life.
The only medals that matter for her now are the world and Olympic gold medals. Anything less, and competing would be pointless, in my opinion, unless if she's looking to collect 10 silver and bronze medals.

Kind of agree especially about her role of getting two spots for Korea. This is an individual sports and KFS would know that, hopefully.
About 'If she is not happy competing', some people seem to think that they know the answer.

From the observations made over the years, including those from before the Vancouver Olympics, there seems little question that skating is foremost for Yuna, a job. The joy and fun - while it may have gone out with the level of success she has had (probably inevitably) - but I agree with those who observe that she seems less and less willing to "fake" like she is enjoying herself. She has accomplished so much, given so much to her sport and national pride already, the pressures and the burden must be enormous. I suspect she has already decided in her own mind (though, of course, WHO KNOWS) but is largely saying she is undecided so that interest simply does not go away in terms of the prospect. That would be my guess.

I am not a long fan of Yuna's. So I cannot say anything 'from the observations over the years.'

I don't understand why some posters are saying she NEVER looks happy at competitions, NEVER enjoying skating, no joy and fun, looked so miserable at worlds, etc.

Are there so many thing about her that I don't know? Do the skaters other than Yuna enjoy competitive skating so much? Do they enjoy it because they love skating not like Yuna?

I don't know how some people think they are such a good mind reader. A girl from such an obscure country with almost no tradition of FS, accompished astonishingly under the enormous pressure despite of being unhappy, probably disliking skating. What a myth.

This is MY observation.

1. Skating is pretty much of her life(not just a job) and she is aware of it.
I don't know how much she loves skating but skating is kind of her destiny.
"I am most comfortable when I skate even if I have other things to do."
"I think I will skate too at thirty." (if I am not seriously injured)

2. As a relatively new fan, I am amazed at how talented she is in many ways. How dedicated to whatever she is doing.
Nobody can skate forever. Definitely, she wants to find a way to do 'good(socially meaningful) things' other than skating and if she skates for a while, she wants to find a meaning to it. For example, she said when she announced her participation at the delayed worlds this year.
"Though I was preparing for the Pyeoungchang bid since March, I think doing well at worlds will help the bids too."

3. Fake, telling a lie, pretending something is not her nature. She is honest and careful at the same time.
(About retirement as a competitive skater) "I have thought about it many times. I had some feeling that maybe this would be my last podium when I cried at worlds."
"I don't know myself. In order to continue to compete, there should be motivation and mentality. Maybe this will be the most important decision of my life and I want to be careful. Right now my body has no pain. I want to think about it with my body not with my brain."

4. It seems that she has trained quite seriously(at least, more seriously than I expected) in spite of busy schedule. Many younger skaters witnessed it first hand at Tareung rink and inspired. She trained hard herself, encouaging other skaters and being polite and passionate at everything.
http://www.ohmynews.com/nws_web/view/at_pg.aspx?CNTN_CD=A0001627100
Look at her sweat.
http://www.ohmynews.com/NWS_Web/View/img_pg.aspx?cntn_cd=IE001348404

5. I tremendously respect athletes who are dedicated to their sports. For example, Jang Miran has been the best weight lifter in the world for a long time. She is 28 and will participate in the London olys next year. She set all the world records at the Beijing olys but it was 3 years ago. She has been suffering from small injuries and a car accident. This year, a 20 year old Russian girl set new world records this year. Will Jang be able to win? People would think the 20 year old has better chance. I kind of agree. However, this situation makes me respect Ms. Jang even more.
Just wanted to add this because when someone in this thread said 'participation is a priviledge', it reminded me of Jang.