Kimmie withdraws from Nationals | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Kimmie withdraws from Nationals

Star85

Rinkside
I just saw this article a little while ago on my igoogle. Then about an hour later, I heard of Emily withdrawing too! This is a pretty big surprise! Even though neither one are favorites of mine, their spirit and personalities were always very refreshing. I don't think either one would have placed and made it to worlds, but I always like seeing them compete. Nationals won't be the same without them. Alissa and Bebe will be there, but everyone else is relatively new blood.

And as far as that other thing people are talking about on here goes, I don't think Kimmie would ever withdraw because she is chickening out! She loves skating, and she's worked too hard to pull out of nationals because of something as stupid as fear of embarrassing herself. If she had that much doubt in herself, I don't think she would still be here at all. She's a little more professional than that ;) I'm not the biggest fan of Kimmie, but I give her a lot more credit than that!

kate

On the Ice
I've just seen way too many skaters get an "injury" during times when they aren't skating well and a competition is coming up.

That's definitely not Kimmie though. If so, why wouldn't she have gotten an "injury" at Nationals last year, or the GP this year? The most I can see her skating factoring into it is realizing she doesn't have a shot at making worlds and deciding instead of skating through the pain, to take this time off to recover for for the GP next year or else to move on her life and not need to have surgery/life-long pain.

gold12345

Medalist
I've just seen way too many skaters get an "injury" during times when they aren't skating well and a competition is coming up.

True, but at this point, Kimmie really has nothing to lose. I was a little skeptical at first, but the description of her injury sounds legit to me. I can't really see Kimmie running from the competition, and she seems like the type of person who would do whatever she could to be there. Despite the mediocre results, I think her skating this season has been pleasing and she definitely has been falling less than she did last year, which is a step in the right direction.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
IMO, an injured spirit. She doesn't want to go to Nationals and embarrass herself.

Yeah.... no.

Kimmie injured her hip flexor. In the IceNetwork article, she said she was sprinting on the treadmill. An injury to the hip flexor is common for runners. The hip flexor is which pulls up your knee. Jumping aggrevated it even more.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090119&content_id=58345&vkey=ice_news

I wish Kimmie the best. IMHO, she did the right thing and took care of her health first and foremost. You only have one body and it needs to be cared for properly for longevity in this COP.

ks777

Record Breaker
I just hope Mirai is healthy enough to compete!! I really want her to do well!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Treadmills are notoriously bad on your hips. I've had surgery on mine and it was in big bold underlined letters that you are never to use a treadmill again because of how much they destabilize your hips.
Really?! I walk on one all the time, maybe that is why I am having trouble with my left side.

Too bad about Kimmie. I hope she get better and continues skating.

KayMil01

On the Ice
Yea, why don't skaters use the stationary bike or an eliptical machine instead of running on a treadmil...you would think a skater would want to save their joints.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Yea, why don't skaters use the stationary bike or an eliptical machine instead of running on a treadmil...you would think a skater would want to save their joints.

Well, maybe this in't such common knowlege that treadmill cause injury. Stationary bikes are in general easier, thus don't burn as many calories and work diffrent msucles than running on a treadmill. Living in hot, humid florida would, i assume, make working out outdoors uncomfortable.

heyang

Record Breaker
That's a shame. But other skaters have gone through slumps and made successful comebacks - Eldredge, Slutskaya, Joubert, Arakawa, to name a few. I hope she comes back strong for the Olympic year.

Don't for Chen Lu - bronze medal at 94 Oly's, 95 World Champion, 96 Silver at World's, 97 barely makes the cut to skate free program at World's, 98 Oly Bronze Medal.

True, but at this point, Kimmie really has nothing to lose. I was a little skeptical at first, but the description of her injury sounds legit to me. I can't really see Kimmie running from the competition, and she seems like the type of person who would do whatever she could to be there. Despite the mediocre results, I think her skating this season has been pleasing and she definitely has been falling less than she did last year, which is a step in the right direction.

She really hasn't much to gain either though, she was a long shot for top two as it was, and skating injured/watered down/below her ability level was not going to help her cause/confidence AT ALL.

I hope she continues if that's what she wants to do. I'd like to see her end her career on a good note, whether that's an Olympic berth or not.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
She really hasn't much to gain either though, she was a long shot for top two as it was, and skating injured/watered down/below her ability level was not going to help her cause/confidence AT ALL.

I hope she continues if that's what she wants to do. I'd like to see her end her career on a good note, whether that's an Olympic berth or not

Right on. :cool:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't for Chen Lu - bronze medal at 94 Oly's, 95 World Champion, 96 Silver at World's, 97 barely makes the cut to skate free program at World's, 98 Oly Bronze Medal.

Chen Lu was 25th in the SP at the 1997 Worlds. She didn't advance to the LP by 1 slot, top 24 made it to the LP.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Chen Lu was 25th in the SP at the 1997 Worlds. She didn't advance to the LP by 1 slot, top 24 made it to the LP.
SInce Lulu didn't qualify for the LP, she had to skate at a qualifying event (Nebelhorn or Golden Spin - don't remember) in the fall to get to the Olympics.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
this is so unfortunate for both Kimmie & Emily. I hope both of these talented young ladies all the best - whether that's on the ice, in the classroom or simply on the beach. Both have represented this county proudly and that's no small thing.

McWicked

On the Ice
Could Kimmie go to 4CC? I dont trust sendin newcomers to Worlds. Even last year, when Kimmie was the 3rd american, she placed better than Ashley and Bebe. Though Im a big fan of Rachel, she flutzes & so does Caroline, Ashley. *sigh*

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Could Kimmie go to 4CC? I dont trust sendin newcomers to Worlds. Even last year, when Kimmie was the 3rd american, she placed better than Ashley and Bebe. Though Im a big fan of Rachel, she flutzes & so does Caroline, Ashley. *sigh*

On the flip side though, Rachael, Caroline, Ashley, and Alissa have better competitive records than Kimmie this season through the Grand Prix. Kimmie's trip to Worlds last season was a result of her placements in last season's Grand Prix, as well as past successes. She doesn't have that Grand Prix record to rely on this season.

Last edited:

dizzydi7

On the Ice
This is just a shame. I hope Kimmie can recover quickly from the injury.

Am I the only one who finds it strange that if indeed the treadmill is notorious for this type of injury that any world class figure skater would train on this device?

Dizzy