Knierims split from coach Aliona Savchenko | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Knierims split from coach Aliona Savchenko

Sjs5572

Final Flight
I think they need a jump coach (Raf or Oriashev) as a consultant STAT. Let's face it....sbs jumps is their albattoss.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Alexa and Chris are hardly alone in the USA pairs' triples problems. I'll give them a pass for NHK, they're just beginning with Jenni and Todd, let's see what will happen in two months at Nationals. I think the Sands can help the Knierims with their basic skating skills and togetherness and on ice rapport. And I do like their programs. As for those darn triples, just hope for the best and maybe with time they can get halfway consistent. One step at a time..

lavoix

Match Penalty
Aljona's influence as a coach can really be seen, I especially saw it in their SP. Again, I can't understand why they couldn't commit together for a year.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think they need a jump coach (Raf or Ouriashev) as a consultant STAT. Let's face it....sbs jumps is their albattoss.

They have worked with Alex, but I think they need to pay him another visit!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The sad part is seeing Alexa fall. The Knierims are intelligent and committed and passionate. Chris knows darn well that his jumps need improvement, has said so, and has done worked on them, even when Alexa was sick. The Knierims are adults and are nothing if not self-aware.

Which is why if they felt it wasn't working with Aljona, it wasn't working with Aljona. I only hope they can find their groove:hap10:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
A bit off topic, but when did she change the spelling of her name to "Aljona?" I used to see it being spelled "Aliona" all the time, and now see the former most of the time.

Saundy83

Spectator
A bit off topic, but when did she change the spelling of her name to "Aljona?" I used to see it being spelled "Aliona" all the time, and now see the former most of the time.

I know ā€œAljonaā€ is the German Romanization spelling. ā€œAlionaā€ is just an alternate spelling so I guess it just fluctuates between the two with no real reason. Iā€™m just speculating here as I am not expert on the topic. Lol

ribbit

On the Ice

I know ā€œAljonaā€ is the German Romanization spelling. ā€œAlionaā€ is just an alternate spelling so I guess it just fluctuates between the two with no real reason. Iā€™m just speculating here as I am not expert on the topic. Lol

:hijacked: I'm only minimally familiar with German pronunciation, but I think this is a case of native speakers of different languages trying to best approximate the original pronunciation of her name in their respective languages. I believe that "J" in German is pronounced in the same way that English speakers would pronounce "Y", or "I" before another vowel, or speakers of many Romance languages would pronounce "I" before another vowel. English speakers, Spanish speakers, and French speakers would each pronounce "J" completely differently, and in ways that don't resemble the German pronunciation at all, while the letter J doesn't really exist in Italian (just to stick to examples from the languages I know). So the different transliterations are meant to be guides to speakers of different languages to get as close as possible to the correct, original pronunciation, as a way to be accurate and respectful.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power šŸ»
Record Breaker
:hijacked: I'm only minimally familiar with German pronunciation, but I think this is a case of native speakers of different languages trying to best approximate the original pronunciation of her name in their respective languages. I believe that "J" in German is pronounced in the same way that English speakers would pronounce "Y", or "I" before another vowel, or speakers of many Romance languages would pronounce "I" before another vowel. English speakers, Spanish speakers, and French speakers would each pronounce "J" completely differently, and in ways that don't resemble the German pronunciation at all, while the letter J doesn't really exist in Italian (just to stick to examples from the languages I know). So the different transliterations are meant to be guides to speakers of different languages to get as close as possible to the correct, original pronunciation, as a way to be accurate and respectful.

Correct :) a German J is pronounced like an English Y that is why her name is written as Aljona in Germany :)

QuadThrow

Medalist
To make it even more complicated this weekend the German Eurosport guys pronounced Alena LeonovaĀ“s first name like "Aljona". They said this is the right way to pronounce it. Did not really get this.

combo

Rinkside
To make it even more complicated this weekend the German Eurosport guys pronounced Alena LeonovaĀ“s first name like "Aljona". They said this is the right way to pronounce it. Did not really get this.

It's correct, Alƫna is pronounced like Alyona, Alena (pronounced like ah-lehn-a) isn't a name used in Russia afaik. The standard transliteration is that ƫ = e instead of yo, which is kinda confusing and just mixes up the pronunciation to non-native speakers.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

She changed her name from Aliona, to the German spelling of Aljona, at the time Bruno got his German citizenship so they could go to the Olympics for Germany. At least, that's when it started appearing as "Aljona" on competition entries.

It doesn't go back and forth. But some people here (and no doubt elsewhere) spell it the old way out of habit, or because they weren't aware it was an intentional change.

This is all "As far as I know." But I heard it reported this way, last year.

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
My dream would be for Tai, Randy, or Tai and Randy to start coaching and Alexa and Chris to go to them. I could spend hours just watching Tai stroke around the ice.
Very similar thought myself but I was thinking more on the lines of Randy being part of the team like Tracy is to Brian at the cricket club...Randy is more of a technician and choreographer and you know he could teach them about edges and lines... Considering both Todd, Jenny and randy all trained under John Nicks

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very similar thought myself but I was thinking more on the lines of Randy being part of the team like Tracy is to Brian at the cricket club...Randy is more of a technician and choreographer and you know he could teach them about edges and lines... Considering both Todd, Jenny and randy all trained under John Nicks

My initial thought was John Nicks, but he's 89 years old:( Tai and Randy were our last World Pairs Champions in 1979 (if I am right on that) so John Nicks must do something right. Also they stayed together for decades, but we don't have to fear Alexa and Chris splitting.

Eloise14

Rinkside
I don't know if she would even do it (or if Jenni and Todd would call her) but since they are in California maybe they can ask Katia Gordeeva to help them with their jumps. I know she lives in California but again I don't know if she would do it. But who better to get help from in Pairs skating then one half of the greatest pair team of all time.

I think the Knierims have some really strong abilities (plus I'm a sucker for a married couple) but they need to improve on these jumps.

soogar

Record Breaker
I don't know if she would even do it (or if Jenni and Todd would call her) but since they are in California maybe they can ask Katia Gordeeva to help them with their jumps. I know she lives in California but again I don't know if she would do it. But who better to get help from in Pairs skating then one half of the greatest pair team of all time.

I think the Knierims have some really strong abilities (plus I'm a sucker for a married couple) but they need to improve on these jumps.

Gorrdeeva was never much of a jumper. Now the pairs have to do harder individual jumps than when she was competing. Plus a great skater doesn't necessarily make a great coach.

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
It seems every one is thinking along the same lines...Jenny and Todd have the connections and "lineage" to bring in consutants and former competitors take the Knirems to the next level they are also grounded and committed to coaching as their priority

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Gorrdeeva was never much of a jumper. Now the pairs have to do harder individual jumps than when she was competing. Plus a great skater doesn't necessarily make a great coach.

Yeah, jumping was not her strength, I thought. I thought when she skated as a single she even did some doubles and not all the triples.