Kurt Browning is forever the Best! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kurt Browning is forever the Best!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
dlkksk8fan said:
Kurt's the man, what a guy!:rock:
Toni-have you given the book to Duane yet? How about posting the picture?

not until Saturday... pictures will follow shortly after that... if all goes according to plan anyway

Zanzibar

Final Flight
What a touching story! As soon as I saw this thread title, I had to check it out. And here's good news for Kurt fans - we'll be doing a Golden Skate interview with him in the very near future.

As someone who has only been in the skating world for not quite yet four years, I did know a few names pre-2002 at least, and Kurt Browning was definitely one of them. Shortly after I got into skating, the opportunity presented itself to ride on the SOI bus one day to a show practice. Kurt actually asked me my name on the bus ride over which was much more notice than any other skaters gave me. But what really amazed me is while sitting down for dinner, he came and sat down next to me - remembered my name - and then proceeded to just talk like a normal person for 30 minutes, about his career, life, etc. Unlike a couple of divas I had to deal with that day (and diva is not restricted to female), I'll never forget how genuinely nice, friendly, and outoing he was. He was an icon AND he was a great person.

It still makes me shake my head that there seems to be a disproportionately high number of skaters who really think the world revolves around them and that they somehow deserve a special status in life - and they never let you forget that. Kurt - who actually HAS the talent, longevity, fan base and fame to BE that way - is definitely NOT one of those skaters. He's that rare gifted and famous performer who never seems to let it get to his head, and if he ever does, is probably the first person to recognize it and come back down to earth. There are skaters to 'love' for many reasons - talent, good looks, charm, whatever - but what's nice about admiring Kurt is that underneath it all he's just a kid from Canada who never takes himself too seriously. I love this guy.

Thanks for the 'Duane' story - it reinforces my belief that if you had to pick - and I mean HAD to pick just one male skater from planet earth to represent to the entire universe what figure skating was, is, and can be: Kurt Browning should be that emissary.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
here's what Duane wrote for his part of the entry we are submitting to the project put on by http://www.kurtfiles.com it's not too late to join in on the huge fan project! visit the site for more info!

anyway here it is
Duane's Letter said:
Dear Kurt,

Thank you for the book. In my heart you are #1. I am 10 year’s old and I live in Kenai, Alaska.
I am taking figure skating lessons every Saturday.

We watch you every time you are on tv. My big sister Toni and I are your biggest fans.

Your friend Duane

For Duane to sit down and type/write/read anything is amazing. Kurt truly inspires the kid. :)

Pictures will follow soon... trying to get my nationals pictures up first... I've missed my laptop lol

Last edited:
Great guy, this Kurt. Greatest male skater, too. No one comes close to his musicality. Johnny approaches it but Johnny's style is limiting. JMO

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Great guy, this Kurt. Greatest male skater, too. No one comes close to his musicality. Johnny approaches it but Johnny's style is limiting. JMO

Joe

I don't think we've ever agreed more on any skater, Joe! :clap:

Zanzibar

Final Flight
A Kurt update:

We were able to do the interview this weekend and we'll try and get it up on Golden Skate later in the week. Kurt did not disappoint - very interesting guy.
:rock:

76olympics

On the Ice
I can't wait for the interview, Zanzibar. I have liked every previous one of his that I have seen. He is a skater whose abilities seem greater with the years--a true natural.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Lovely story, Toni. It's great when we hear of a celebrity giving back to their fans or the community. He's not only a skater for the ages but a humanitarian as well................:thumbsup: 42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Zanzibar said:
A Kurt update:

We were able to do the interview this weekend and we'll try and get it up on Golden Skate later in the week. Kurt did not disappoint - very interesting guy.
:rock:

awesome! I cannot wait!

JOHIO2

Medalist
Great story, Toni. I know Kurt wouldn't take "no" for an answer 'cuz he seems like a good guy and now that he is a father, he would not want to disappoint his young fan, no matter how much it might embarass big sis!

Glad Duane is getting his skating chance. So, think we should start his Duane site anytime soon? :laugh:

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
JOHIO2 said:
Great story, Toni. I know Kurt wouldn't take "no" for an answer 'cuz he seems like a good guy and now that he is a father, he would not want to disappoint his young fan, no matter how much it might embarass big sis!

Glad Duane is getting his skating chance. So, think we should start his Duane site anytime soon? :laugh:
:laugh: Well Duane would go for it, but I don't want to pressure him too much so we'll see... he wants to do like Johnny Weir and Ben Ferrera(sp) and be on top really soon, but we'll see... he's not all that keen on having to do the on ice lunges... he's kinda like Debbie Gibson was last night on Skating with Celebs. Just not going for it at all :rofl:

skatemom

Spectator
That Kurt, he will never change (thank goodness). He has a heart of gold, which is why I love him so much,not to mention he is the worlds greatest all around skater.

When my son first started skating back in 1994 (he was 9) we had the opportunity to go to a book signing, in New Brunswick Canada, by Kurt. At the time I was totally naive about skating and when it came our turn to see Kurt, my son had requested that I tell Kurt that he could land an axel because he was too shy. So....I proceeded to tell Kurt, "My son wants me to tell you that he can land a lutz!" Of course I said the wrong jump and my son was quick to say, "Not a lutz mom, an axel!!!" Kurt just smiled. We had a t shirt with us that my son wore to skate in and Kurt signed it to "Axel King". To this day, 11 years later, we still have that t-shirt. Of course it no longer fits my 20 year old son, but the shirt is still a wonderful reminder of what a great person Kurt is.

Teenes

On the Ice
Reading this thread just makes me smile. Thanks to everyone (especially Toni) for their great Kurt stories, they're fun to read! Kurt truly is a class act.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Teenes said:
Reading this thread just makes me smile. Thanks to everyone (especially Toni) for their great Kurt stories, they're fun to read! Kurt truly is a class act.

I think the thanks goes to Kurt for making these stories HAPPEN :clap:

kyla2

Final Flight
Kurt

Kurt Browning is one of the class acts in figure skating and one of its greatest stylists, if not the greatest. He is just a wonderful person and a fabulous skater. His skate to "Singin In The Rain" was one of the greatest pieces of figure skating I have ever seen. Thanks for the story Toni. Say hello to Duane for us.

76olympics

On the Ice
Thanks for the pics, Tonichelle! What a memorable b-day for Duane and so cool (but apparently typical) of Kurt.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanking for sharing the wonderful pics of Duane and Kurt's book! :party:

:clap: for Kurt! :bow: :agree: What a guy! :rock: