Ladies LP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

I don't see anything wrong with her posture or sit spin. Latter is not one of the deepest but it's as good as Yu Na's and miles better than the weird one of Sarah Meier. Her use of head and arms is lovely and understated in a way that for me is very appropriate and touching for a 16 year old. I imagine she will develop because 16 year olds do... and because she has a lot of talented young ladies on her heels.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you have sekret access to the protocols? Id love to see what was downgraded in a 130+ FS. She has 3 monster combo's in her FS that she nailed today - 3f-3l that nobody does aswell as she does, she's re-introduced a 3t by way of 2x-3t plus a 3lz-2l-2l combo as her LAST jumping pass. These are worth sooooooo many points. She knew what she had to do and got through her program in a seriously pressured situation with what appears to be nerves of steel. Good for Mao!!!!!

BTW, the shaky lutz was in the SP if there was one - an impressive save.[/
QUOTE]

She had two doubles in combination downgraded to singles and stepped out of her triple axel. She had enough in the rest of her program to justify a high score. To me, a flawed program with the highest ladies score ever says more about the deficiencies in COP than it does about suspect judging.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Well her jumps were certainly good but the rest of her technical elements are all very lackluster and the performance had very little energy to it.

And although her jumps are good, she needs to replace that second 2Axle with a 3Sal. It's so boring how the jumps are layed out in the program. EVERY pass starts with an Axle, Flip, or Lutz and 3 out of her first 4 passes are all Axels!

Give the girl some variety; this would look better:

3Axel
3Flip/3Loop
2Axel/3Toe
-------- (halfway point in program)
3Lutz
3Sal
3Flip
3Lutz/2Loop/2Loop

Also, they need to make a rule stating that the 3rd jump in a 3-jump combination needs to be different from the 2nd jump. No double 2Toes or 2Loops, it's so monotonous. You do either a 2Toe/2Loop or a 2Loop/2Toe, otherwise one of the jumps shouldn't count.

~Z

Yeah, I agree, that's one of the weaknesses of the CoP. There is no reward for an interesting program and no penalty for a boring one.

If Mao replaces a double Axel (which she is very confident on -- might even get some positive GOE) with a triple Salchow (her nemisis jump), she only gains 1.2 base points. Why bother?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Then again we have to ask the question "what is figure skating?" Skating fans can't have it both ways- expect the people at large to take it seriously as a sport while lamenting that the "sport" aspects of skating are now being rewarded more. Hmm, just my thoughts.

R.D.

Record Breaker
someone tell that to the judges. :biggrin:

But I really think it's just like 6.0 again- a 120 at NHK doesn't necessarily equal a 120 at Worlds. and it SHOULD.

If Mao replaces a double Axel (which she is very confident on -- might even get some positive GOE) with a triple Salchow (her nemisis jump), she only gains 1.2 base points. Why bother?
And if Lambiel does a 2A by quad toe which he can easily do why bother with the 3A?

And if Lambiel does a 2A by quad toe which he can easily do why bother with the 3A?
Well, the difference between a 3A and a 2A is 4.2 points. So Stephane would have to decide if the rest of his program is strong enough to give up those extra points.

It is interesting how all these points work out on the men's side. When Joubert did three quads and a triple Axel, I thought no one would be able to beat that.

But in the very next competition Oda beat Joubert's point totals with a no-quad performance. :scratch:

Then again we have to ask the question "what is figure skating?" Skating fans can't have it both ways- expect the people at large to take it seriously as a sport while lamenting that the "sport" aspects of skating are now being rewarded more. Hmm, just my thoughts.
Personally, I think we should let the question "Is figure skating a sport?" die it's long overdue death.

OK, it's a sport. So what?

OK, it's not a sport. So what?

Zuranthium

Match Penalty

Well, if I were I judge, it would help with her choreography score. Jumps are part of the choreography of a program and having a boring or hugely front-loaded jump layout is a hindrance in my eyes.

~Z

enlight78

Medalist
Yeah, I agree, that's one of the weaknesses of the CoP. There is no reward for an interesting program and no penalty for a boring one.

I thought that was what Choreography and Interpitation was for in the PCs.

It is interesting how all these points work out on the men's side. When Joubert did three quads and a triple Axel, I thought no one would be able to beat that.

But in the very next competition Oda beat Joubert's point totals with a no-quad performance. :scratch:
He did indeed and with a brand new set of judges in Nagano. Do you think those scores will be the same in St Pete's with yet another brand new set of judges?

Joe

flying camel

Medalist
I watched Mao' LP, and I didn't think it was that great. She has a very charming presence on the ice. But I didn't think the jumps were great or the choreography. She mostly looked like she was jumping and skipping around.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
I finally watched Mao LP. It was much better than SA. She seems to not have much speed across the ice but that could be the way the video was shot for
you-tube. She is adorable and l liked her program.

Oscilla

On the Ice
He did indeed and with a brand new set of judges in Nagano. Do you think those scores will be the same in St Pete's with yet another brand new set of judges?

Joe

Weren't Oda's scores really high at SA as well? He had quite a few mistakes there (lost 7.28 just two-footing his 3A) and his LP was really laboured, yet his GoEs and PCS kept his score high.
At NHK he was flawless (the only mistake was a shaky edge on illusion in his step sequence) and his LP looked much better. He actually added some transitions - a series of backspirals into his 3L, a forward spiral into some other jump. His expression and arm movements were better as well and he didn't run out of gas in the latter half of the program.
I think Oda's programs could look even better if he wasn't ill. I wouldn't be surprised if he started getting 8s for SS sometime soon.
Having said that, I wish Wilson would do something about the circular step sequence, beacuse it just doesn't look good. The straight one is much better, although I think Oda would make his life easier if he performed it diagonally - he often goes too fast in the first half of the step sequence and then runs out of the ice surface and has to slow down, which doesn't look pretty,

Getting back on topic... I loved Fumie's LP. :clap: I haven't had time to enjoy all of the programs in peace, so I'm not going to comment on the rest right now. I'm just happy Mao seems to be back on track and Fumie doesn't seem to be bothered by her injury anymore. :rock:

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I was very underwhelmed by Asada's freeskate. I didn't think many, if any, of the jumps were of good quality. She didn't manage to draw me into the performance; it looked like she was just "going through the moves". However, she deserved her win, though not her mammoth freeskate score.

(Loved, loved, loved Suguri's program. I was undecided about it after Skate Canada, but now it is very entertaining for me to watch.)

:agree: 100%

Mao was going through the motions for me. She did them and well, but seemed so .... well not really emotional. Her Jumps are breathtaking and most seems so effortless, if she matures more in "emotional content" I will be a happier viewer. A little over for her PCS IMO, and only in interpretation and choreography. Skating skills were superb as far as I could tell.

Need I say anything about Fumie? :love: She may not have the metals or dominance as say MK did, but I prefer her in EVERY way. My favorite Program this season by far, enjoyed this even more then "Cancion-Orilla," Pink Panther or Jupiter. She really is a dream come true regardless of her placements or no 3x3 - whatever. Absolutely a joy to watch and the epitome of an Ice skater IMO. Great interviews (to Short) and "Mama Suguri" Send her my way!!!!:laugh: :laugh: Thing is I would NEVER stop or even slightly discourage her from skating. EVER! You can see she truly loves that ice and time away from it would likely have adverse effects. She is the type who needs / deserves a rink in her house.:yes: