Ladies LP | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

Bennett

Record Breaker
I wish Miki hadn't done a quad after missing the first combo; then she would have had at least silver. I knew even before she was going into the quad that she would fail because there wasn't much time to recover the speed and timing. But perhaps she had talked too much about it prior to the event to be more flexible. Besides, she somehow often says that she doesn't care about the placement, but aims for trying a quad.

christinaskater

Medalist
Miki has done a perfect carmen at the Japanese nationals

She was sensational there, a wise tip for her, do her original 7 triple program. Don't risk doing the quadruple sal, she may win again if she knows how to play it really smart

Asada is a rare talent, she is the one to beat at the World's. Two triple triples and arguably, the best triple axel of anyone in the world, even the men included. She is amazing. I agree that she shuts the world, and performs in her introspective environment. That is the difference between Michelle Kwan and Mao Asada, MK let's the people feel and reaches out to everyone and brings them to her quest. She captivates everyone because she opens up her emotions, a trait that Makes Yu-Na standout, she's got the MK in her heheheeh!

Yu-Na is sadly, injured. She is amazing, her innate musicality and artistry is truly phenomenal, plus her perfect jumping technique helps her match the technically demanding layout of Mao Asada.

Hacker is great! I love her, Sasha Cohenish, incredible beauty, flexibility . Reminds me of Katarina Witt as well

Ashley, what a comeback, sadly, judges held back since she placed really low in the short. Under marked, yup, but she too has to establish herself in the world scene to get those PCS. A little patience. She is a firecracker, one of the dark horses for the Olympics.

Young Na Kim! She's amazing. Her skating basics and quality are amazing. Give her more time and who knows she may be up there

JOANNIE JOANNIE JOANNIE, i've had a love hate love relationship for her. There was a time in the past i fell in love with her, but she's dealt with a lot, stumbled, but the passion is back. I can feel her once more! She's another one who knows how to open up

Miki miki miki-i agree she's bravaura when it comes to ballet

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
I wish Miki hadn't done a quad after missing the first combo; then she would have had at least silver. I knew even before she was going into the quad that she would fail because there wasn't much time to recover the speed and timing. But perhaps she had talked too much about it prior to the event to be more flexible. Besides, she somehow often says that she doesn't care about the placement, but aims for trying a quad.

I wish she care more about the placement and less about that quad. She is already the only lady to have landed quad in ISU event, and one of few skaters, men and ladies combined, to have landed a quad salchow. She could invest more time on her spins and posture. She already has one of the most difficult jump contents, and she's losing lots of points in spins compared to other top ladies. I think she will be in a right direction when she forgets about quad.

Oh, I know she had a clean skate at Nationals, I meant she hasn't done a clean program in international event.

Last edited:

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Miki has a chronic back pain/ injury, which has made it very hard for her to try different variations in spins. It is reported in Japanese media that any type of layback spins aggravates her back pain.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Miki has a chronic back pain/ injury, which has made it very hard for her to try different variations in spins. It is reported in Japanese media that any type of layback spins aggravates her back pain.

That explains her poor back position compared to her good leg position. She should not include layback spin in her lp then. She doesn't do a solo layback spin, but included in one of her combination spin.

beep_beep

Medalist
Well, I had a class this morning and couldn't stay up to watch the ladies FS.

So, I would like to thank the pbp'ers and youtubers. You made my day !!!!:agree::agree::biggrin:

I haven't watched everything yet, but Mao's program was awsome !! Too bad for that new costume...
The color is beautiful, but what the hell is the problem with that "skin" color fabric ? It doesn't match neither her skin nor her tights (Yu Na old FS costume had that problem too, let's hope it's gone).

Off to watch Joanie's program

camion

On the Ice
I finally saw 4ccs on youtube. It's great to see Mao be more and more consistent. The step sequence was a bit rushed, but I saw great improvement in the speed of her spins despite her awkwardly coming out of the spin at the end. I didn't like the costume too much- it's spiderman's threads made to look like a raisin rum cake. I'm in love w/her short outfit though.

beep_beep

Medalist
Well, it's official: I'm a Joanie fan. I think she has, hands down, the best coreography (ladies anyway) tis season. Hope she keeps it up !

Marine63

Rinkside
Miki has done a perfect carmen at the Japanese nationals

She was sensational there, a wise tip for her, do her original 7 triple program. Don't risk doing the quadruple sal, she may win again if she knows how to play it really smart

Asada is a rare talent, she is the one to beat at the World's. Two triple triples and arguably, the best triple axel of anyone in the world, even the men included. She is amazing. I agree that she shuts the world, and performs in her introspective environment. That is the difference between Michelle Kwan and Mao Asada, MK let's the people feel and reaches out to everyone and brings them to her quest. She captivates everyone because she opens up her emotions, a trait that Makes Yu-Na standout, she's got the MK in her heheheeh!

Yu-Na is sadly, injured. She is amazing, her innate musicality and artistry is truly phenomenal, plus her perfect jumping technique helps her match the technically demanding layout of Mao Asada.

Hacker is great! I love her, Sasha Cohenish, incredible beauty, flexibility . Reminds me of Katarina Witt as well

Ashley, what a comeback, sadly, judges held back since she placed really low in the short. Under marked, yup, but she too has to establish herself in the world scene to get those PCS. A little patience. She is a firecracker, one of the dark horses for the Olympics.

Young Na Kim! She's amazing. Her skating basics and quality are amazing. Give her more time and who knows she may be up there

JOANNIE JOANNIE JOANNIE, i've had a love hate love relationship for her. There was a time in the past i fell in love with her, but she's dealt with a lot, stumbled, but the passion is back. I can feel her once more! She's another one who knows how to open up

Miki miki miki-i agree she's bravaura when it comes to ballet

Mao is a great jumper, yet she has absolutely no expression on the ice and is rather robotic. She doesn't feel the music and could skate that same LP to any music. I don't get the hype about her at all. She also doesn't get marked down as much as she should for her wrong edge takeoffs and underrotations.

mizu_iro

Final Flight
Mao is a great jumper, yet she has absolutely no expression on the ice and is rather robotic. She doesn't feel the music and could skate that same LP to any music. I don't get the hype about her at all. She also doesn't get marked down as much as she should for her wrong edge takeoffs and underrotations.

Look at the protocols. Mao gets very harsh deductions for her flutz and has not been immune to downgrades this season.

oleada

Record Breaker

I completely disagree. Mao's face is not expressive, but her body is. Her movements are timed beautifully to the music and they're very fluid. Her LP this year is completely different from Czardas, and much more mature. IMO, she is an excellent combination of flexibility (but not contortionism), skating skills and beautiful positions. She's a lot more expressive this year than last, too.

She's definitely been dinged for her underrotations. She hasn't has a single triple-triple ratified in the SP, and every single lutz she's performed this season has had an edge deduction (she's even received -3 on it from some judges!). Her triple toe tends to get downgraded as well (at Worlds - it cost her the title - and here too).

Wrlmy

Medalist
Mao is already far more expressive than most skaters, and she will become a real artist as she matures. Just because she doesn't skate to theatrical or big ta-da music, it doesn't mean she's not expressive. I think she's doing justice to Chopin.

carolinefan177

On the Ice
I just can't believe how inconsistent Ashley's scores are when comparing nationals and 4CCs. i know she didn't skate with the same spark, but seriously, her PCS was like 47-48 here. At COC, Caroline, I believe got around that PCS when she fell..twice. Looks like the international judges prefer Caroline to Ashley.

She certainly can fight through everything though!

I just can't believe how inconsistent Ashley's scores are when comparing nationals and 4CCs. i know she didn't skate with the same spark, but seriously, her PCS was like 47-48 here. At COC, Caroline, I believe got around that PCS when she fell..twice. Looks like the international judges prefer Caroline to Ashley.

She certainly can fight through everything though!
Did I miss Caroline in 4CC? Some of us don't believe that judges in one competition give the same scores as different judges in other competitions.

Joe

oleada

Record Breaker
I just can't believe how inconsistent Ashley's scores are when comparing nationals and 4CCs. i know she didn't skate with the same spark, but seriously, her PCS was like 47-48 here.

Nationals are never a reliable score. They are pretty much always inflated.

carolinefan177

On the Ice
Did I miss Caroline in 4CC? Some of us don't believe that judges in one competition give the same scores as different judges in other competitions.

Joe

Joe,

I didn't mean to imply that Caroline was participating in the 4CC. I was just saying that Ashley's score seems a bit low when compared to her scores at nationals. The whole point of bringing Caroline up was to make the point that although some posters believe that she has inferior ss, etc to skaters such as Ashley, Mirai, and Rachael, she is still receiving higher scores than at least one of them internationally, and that may or may not make sense to some people. If Ashley scored 105 here, 105 in Paris, I have a feeling that she'll do the same at worlds.

By the way, please don't make the assumption that I think that all of the scores are going to be uniform at every competition because I DON'T think that at all. I was just refering to her scores here in comparison to the GP circuit, which happen to be similar.

Last edited:

singerskates

On the Ice
Question: How do the judges tell that Ashley's Lz are Lz and not flips? She dosn't flip the edge, she goes in on an inside and with no long ride in how do they know what's intended? Do they have her program plan infront of them to check? Even if they do, if there isn't even an attempt at the outside edge, shouldn't it just be called a flip?

The caller and the judges have each skaters' planned program sheet which each skater has to have filled out in order to register for each competition in which they will compete. How do I know? I'm a Canadian adult skater who has competed at Adult Canadians and we've had to fill out the same program content sheets as the elite skaters who go onto regular Canadians, Grand Prix events, Worlds and so on because we get marked at Adult Canadians with CPC which is the same as the COPs marking system.
This is how the judges and callers know what the skaters are planning to do. Also, if a skater has already done 2 flips in their program and they go to do a lutz with a wrong edge or accidently do another flip it will get either a wrong edge call or the jump will get no mark at all and the jump window will be used up.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley just looked so p---ed off in the KnC after her FS, and I don't blame her! She remarked to her coach "I can't wait to get home!"

It's amazing that she could still perform consistently even though she knew the judges weren't going to give her the marks the other skaters were getting.

I hope she kicks major butt at Worlds and gets rewarded for it.