Leaping Beauty: Balletic Chen Soars | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Leaping Beauty: Balletic Chen Soars

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Here's a brief clip of Nureyev. He was a beautiful dancer. :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHD6Ly0oYpA

thanks, seems a very graceful, lean, strong dancer :)

do you know Ethan Stiefel? I saw him in a ballet movie called "Center Stage" years ago. I got to say that he impressed me so much with his dancing. Then I saw a documentary on his dancing but I can't seem to find it on youtube anymore :( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUS016ETIiE&t=163s Haven't looked him up in years, but doesn't he look a bit like Scott Moir? haha. I guess you can say this movie and Ethan made me appreciate watching ballet. I actually rather watch the men dance than the women. I find the men more graceful.

eta: oh, look what I found on wikipedia...."While there, Stanley Williams enrolled him in the company's men's special class where he trained alongside Rudolf Nureyev, Mikhail Baryshnikov and Fernando Bujones. He studied with Baryshnikov himself at the short lived Mikhail Baryshnikov's School of Classical Ballet. [5]"

Last edited:

stella luna

Final Flight
To my delight and surprise, I found out the Barnes and Noble near my new house carries International Figure Skating magazine (all bookstores don't carry figure skating magazines, unfortunately), and the April issue has Nathan on the cover.

Rob Brodie reports that as a child, Nathan also competed at the state and regional levels as a gymnast for seven years. When he told his coaches he was putting skating ahead of gymnastics, they told him he had a better future in gymnastics. He said skating was always the first thing for him.

He is an athlete with many talents, obviously.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
This is an alternate option to explain why the judges will give Nathan the same SS as Patrick? :noshake:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
To my delight and surprise, I found out the Barnes and Noble near my new house carries International Figure Skating magazine (all bookstores don't carry figure skating magazines, unfortunately), and the April issue has Nathan on the cover.

Rob Brodie reports that as a child, Nathan also competed at the state and regional levels as a gymnast for seven years. When he told his coaches he was putting skating ahead of gymnastics, they told him he had a better future in gymnastics. He said skating was always the first thing for him.

He is an athlete with many talents, obviously.

It's interesting that Chen was a gymnast for 7 years, I did not know that about him, and would never see him as a gymnast had you not posted that! :)

I know there are several other elite skaters that did gymnastics for awhile and then gave it up for skating.

mrrice

Record Breaker
It's interesting that Chen was a gymnast for 7 years, I did not know that about him, and would never see him as a gymnast had you not posted that! :)

I know there are several other elite skaters that did gymnastics for awhile and then gave it up for skating.

Including Brian Orser and Surya Bonaly. In fact, I think the reason Surya never wore tights is that she got used to NOT wearing them for gymnastics.

stella luna

Final Flight

I highly recommend the magazine, too.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Including Brian Orser and Surya Bonaly. In fact, I think the reason Surya never wore tights is that she got used to NOT wearing them for gymnastics.

Jeremy Abbott was a gymnast until he ws 12. He was also skating from the time he was 2, he competed in Ice Dance up to Juvenile level, and also competed in pairs, all while skating singles. :bow:

I highly recommend the magazine, too.

Thank you for the suggestion, but as a skater I'm aware of the magazine and have subscribed it it for years, :) I'm glad you were able to find it at your local bookstore.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Did you notice that Ilia Kulik (Olympic gold medalist in 1998) was also in that movie. It was, as you say, years ago (2000). :yes:

Of course I noticed...Every dancer in Hollywood noticed. Here's a brief clip. I can't tell you how many times we heard "Go Back!!" When I was dancing. I'm sure if you've seen the movie you know there were a couple of scenes where the actors had "Dance Doubles" Including Illia and his partner in this scene, Zoe Saldana. Talented but smart-mouthed Eva Rodriguez (Zoe Saldana; doubled by SAB alumna and former NYCB member Aesha Ash)

Not here though, This is Ilia and Zoe:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVMt5q2Zcow

Last edited:
To my delight and surprise, I found out the Barnes and Noble near my new house carries International Figure Skating magazine (all bookstores don't carry figure skating magazines, unfortunately),...

Makes me yearn for the good old days when bookstores carried two or three skating magazines regularly in the sports section.

(Back when there were bookstores, I mean.) :(

Lys

Match Penalty
Here are some quotes from an IN article posted today. This makes me chuckle, because of all the people who have argued with assertions that Nathan already has artistry, musicality and dance quality. Also I chuckle in light of that fact that many posters seem to think that 3 months with Marina Zueva were all it took to develop them. The ballet professionals also see his artistry in Nathan's FS, by the way. :)

It makes me chuckles anyone who takes a PR article seriously :confused2::confused2::confused2:

(and a bad one at that: "watching on youtube videos" is so top :biggrin: )

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Jeremy Abbott was a gymnast until he ws 12. He was also skating from the time he was 2, he competed in Ice Dance up to Juvenile level, and also competed in pairs, all while skating singles. :bow:

Thank you for the suggestion, but as a skater I'm aware of the magazine and have subscribed it it for years, :) I'm glad you were able to find it at your local bookstore.

You know who else did back flips....Ryan Bradley. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSyPmRoxzJ4

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I had no idea Jeremy could do that. He is truly a talented athlete. I wonder if he can sing. If so, he should try Broadway. It worked for Elvis.

He is, but I'm pretty sure singing is where it ends for Abbott! I've heard him sing and even he'll admit it's something you don't want to hear! :laugh:

Last edited:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
It all blends together. There's a carriage that one learns in dance class. Plushy had it. Eman had it, and so did/does Joshua Farris. In fact, Jason has it as well. That's why he gets such big component scores and lands on the podium without a quad at Nationals.

Adam has it, imo. It seems to come very natural for him.

Just curious, who is Eman?