Legacy 7, CA, CA Lite? Blade advice needed! | Golden Skate

Legacy 7, CA, CA Lite? Blade advice needed!

Vladik

On the Ice
Haven’t posted for quite some time (that being a month) lol. I finally got booked in at Everglides for the 5th of April which I am super super happy about (getting new boots)!! :biggrin:

Been researching a lot into blades and wanted some advice on that. I’m on Edea Rotation blades right now and to sum it up, they’re crap. Spins are always a struggle.

For reference I’m on bronze freestyle and bronze dance right now (Skate UK).

Whenever it comes to asking about blades, there seems to be three that pop up quite frequently, and that’s the standard Coronation Ace, the Coronation Ace Lite, and the Legacy 7.

I’ve heard the Coronation Ace Lite is more advanced than the standard Coronation Ace, but I’ve got a friend who’s a lower level than me and is soon purchasing them as she was told by her fitter that it would work just fine for her level. So I’m a little on the fence about things. I’m also not too knowledgeable about the Legacy 7 so I’d like to know more about them!

Appearance-wise, the Legacy 7 and CA lite are obviously much more appealing, so if it ever came down to that, I would pick one of those. However, I understand it isn’t solely about that, so I’m more than happy with sticking to whatever is most suitable for me and won’t hinder or slow my progress and skating.
What are the differences between the blades? Anything I should know and which do you recommend for me??

Also how long does it usually take to adjust to new skates (boot and blade)?

Thanks!

mskater93

Record Breaker
The coronation ace light is a very thin blade and a number of less experienced skaters have struggled with elements on them. Legacy 7 is a really lower end blade. You can never go wrong with a standard Coronation Ace or MK Pro. There's a reason 90% of skaters without Axels/doubles are on these 2 blades.

Vladik

On the Ice
The coronation ace light is a very thin blade and a number of less experienced skaters have struggled with elements on them. Legacy 7 is a really lower end blade. You can never go wrong with a standard Coronation Ace or MK Pro. There's a reason 90% of skaters without Axels/doubles are on these 2 blades.
Think I will go with the Coronation Ace! Is there a difference between the MK Pro and CA?

Friday

Rinkside
Think I will go with the Coronation Ace! Is there a difference between the MK Pro and CA?
As far as I know, they have a slightly different spinrocker with the CA having a compound 27' and 12' spinrocker and the Pro having a 16/17? spinrocker.

CA ist supposed to be more apologetic technic wise? I'm sure that @tstop4me and @Ic3Rabbit can help you with that.

But honestly, you can't do a anything wrong with the regular CA or MK Pros. At least that's what I havd been told :)

mskater93

Record Breaker
As far as I know, they have a slightly different spinrocker with the CA having a compound 27' and 12' spinrocker and the Pro having a 16/17? spinrocker.

CA ist supposed to be more apologetic technic wise? I'm sure that @tstop4me and @Ic3Rabbit can help you with that.

But honestly, you can't do a anything wrong with the regular CA or MK Pros. At least that's what I havd been told :)
I've found the opposite personally between JW and MK blades. My spins improved when I went to MK blades and the sweet spot was easier to find.

Mimi2789

Rinkside
What do you mean by "really lower end blade"? I was told by my fitter and others that it is essentially the Jackson version of the CA and suitable for beginning doubles..?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What do you mean by "really lower end blade"? I was told by my fitter and others that it is essentially the Jackson version of the CA and suitable for beginning doubles..?
It's not an exact match for CA though and the rockers are flatter.

Your best bet is an actual CA or MK pro. Traditional version, no lites.

Vladik

On the Ice
It's not an exact match for CA though and the rockers are flatter.

Your best bet is an actual CA or MK pro. Traditional version, no lites.
Will do, thanks so much! What’s wrong with the lites? I’ve heard so many problems about them but I’m really not sure.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Traditional Coronation Ace all the way. There's a reason they've been so popular for so long and it's because they are an all-round excellent intermediate blade.

The main problems with the Lites are that they are (a) thinner, and many lower level skaters struggle with this, (b) the design makes moves where you need to grab and hold the blade infinitely harder and (c) the lightness is a mistake at lower levels. Many skaters train using ankle weights in order to strengthen their legs. The benefit to lighter blades is best utilised when you're training jumps with multiple rotations, otherwise it's just an expensive waste of money. If you go to lighter blades when you're learning half and single rotations, the benefit is completely lost as you progress.

MK Professional are also excellent blades, but Everglides don't stock them for some reason. (Or at least they didn't last year when I took a skater who had previously skated on them.) The Lite version problems are the same as Coronation Ace Lites, listed above.

Legacy 7s are touted as being the a cheaper version of Coronation Ace, but - as noted above by several people - the spin rocker is different. I have a skater who is happy on them but she picked them for the price point and look and - frankly - has the kind of work ethic that would get used to anything, especially after being in boots and blades that were 3 sizes too big for years! I see more people switch to Coronation Ace from Legacy to help improve their spins than I see people staying with them. There is also the fact that the lighter weight isn't helpful at lower levels.

You will find that at least one of the fitters at Everglides pushes them over Coronation Ace and says that they are exactly the same blade, but cheaper. I promise you that they are not "exactly" the same. They're not bad, per se, but Coronation Ace are much better. For now, you may well be happy - and they are a world away from Edea Rotation, which have to be the nastiest blades on the planet! - but Coronation Ace are the way to go eventually.

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
I am actually changing my blades from Legacy to Coronation Ace next week. Nervous as heck but I feel like it will benefit me in the long run. I can post an update on this thread once it’s done.

Vladik

On the Ice
Traditional Coronation Ace all the way. There's a reason they've been so popular for so long and it's because they are an all-round excellent intermediate blade.

The main problems with the Lites are that they are (a) thinner, and many lower level skaters struggle with this, (b) the design makes moves where you need to grab and hold the blade infinitely harder and (c) the lightness is a mistake at lower levels. Many skaters train using ankle weights in order to strengthen their legs. The benefit to lighter blades is best utilised when you're training jumps with multiple rotations, otherwise it's just an expensive waste of money. If you go to lighter blades when you're learning half and single rotations, the benefit is completely lost as you progress.

MK Professional are also excellent blades, but Everglides don't stock them for some reason. (Or at least they didn't last year when I took a skater who had previously skated on them.) The Lite version problems are the same as Coronation Ace Lites, listed above.

Legacy 7s are touted as being the a cheaper version of Coronation Ace, but - as noted above by several people - the spin rocker is different. I have a skater who is happy on them but she picked them for the price point and look and - frankly - has the kind of work ethic that would get used to anything, especially after being in boots and blades that were 3 sizes too big for years! I see more people switch to Coronation Ace from Legacy to help improve their spins than I see people staying with them. There is also the fact that the lighter weight isn't helpful at lower levels.

You will find that at least one of the fitters at Everglides pushes them over Coronation Ace and says that they are exactly the same blade, but cheaper. I promise you that they are not "exactly" the same. They're not bad, per se, but Coronation Ace are much better. For now, you may well be happy - and they are a world away from Edea Rotation, which have to be the nastiest blades on the planet! - but Coronation Ace are the way to go eventually.
Thank you so much!
Will definitely go with the standard CA. I’ve heard too many negative things about the Lite and don’t think they’d help me out in any way. So glad to finally be getting away from Edea Rotation though. I’m really hoping the transition process will be relatively quick and I’ll see improvement in things like spins.

I noticed Everglides does seem to sell a lot of Legacy 7 blades. I was snooping through their instagram and it appeared that they fitted so many people with Legacy 7. If they try push them on me, should I decline and insist on the CA?

Also how long does it usually take to get used to new boots and blades? Thanks!!

Vladik

On the Ice
I am actually changing my blades from Legacy to Coronation Ace next week. Nervous as heck but I feel like it will benefit me in the long run. I can post an update on this thread once it’s done.
How are you finding the Legacy right now? Any reason you’re switching to the CA?

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
How are you finding the Legacy right now? Any reason you’re switching to the CA?
Tbh the rocker is really flat and has only gotten flatter since I’ve had them for 2 years. These are the Matrix Legacy (8 foot rocker) not the Legacy 7. Last week I couldn’t do a scratch spin for the life of me. I am a beginner and skating on and off - only got a coach very recently. It could be technique but just looking at my blades now they are almost end of life. There is also a tiny little bump on the non skateable zone so I don’t know if that impacting my spins as well.

I am switching because I feel like I can handle a 7 foot rocker blade and don’t want to continue with Ultima. I think changing to Coronation Ace will help me transition to higher level blades in the same brand when I get there.

Also the drag pick is HUGE on the Legacy blades. Even when my spins are centered and I’m in the correct position it makes an awful noise. On jumps I find I pick way too fast as well. I know it’s going to take time to get use to new blades but like I said it will help me in the long run. I’m an adult skater doing single jumps right now and I’m in no rush to level up/compete if that says anything.

Vladik

On the Ice
Tbh the rocker is really flat and has only gotten flatter since I’ve had them for 2 years. These are the Matrix Legacy (8 foot rocker) not the Legacy 7. Last week I couldn’t do a scratch spin for the life of me. I am a beginner and skating on and off - only got a coach very recently. It could be technique but just looking at my blades now they are almost end of life. There is also a tiny little bump on the non skateable zone so I don’t know if that impacting my spins as well.

I am switching because I feel like I can handle a 7 foot rocker blade and don’t want to continue with Ultima. I think changing to Coronation Ace will help me transition to higher level blades in the same brand when I get there.

Also the drag pick is HUGE on the Legacy blades. Even when my spins are centered and I’m in the correct position it makes an awful noise. On jumps I find I pick way too fast as well. I know it’s going to take time to get use to new blades but like I said it will help me in the long run. I’m an adult skater doing single jumps right now and I’m in no rush to level up/compete if that says anything.
Ahhh I’ve heard a lot about Matrix Legacy and the spin rocker. I’ve heard from most people that use them that their spins are super scratchy.

I think the CA should definitely help you, and will hopefully help my skating too! I’m hoping I’ll see an improvement in spins, mine are sorta scratchy and inconsistent right now with the Edea Rotation blades!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thank you so much!
Will definitely go with the standard CA. I’ve heard too many negative things about the Lite and don’t think they’d help me out in any way. So glad to finally be getting away from Edea Rotation though. I’m really hoping the transition process will be relatively quick and I’ll see improvement in things like spins.

I noticed Everglides does seem to sell a lot of Legacy 7 blades. I was snooping through their instagram and it appeared that they fitted so many people with Legacy 7. If they try push them on me, should I decline and insist on the CA?

Also how long does it usually take to get used to new boots and blades? Thanks!!
If they have Coronation Ace in your size, I would insist. If they don't, and there's a significant wait time, then you could go with the Legacy 7s. After Edea Rotation, you will love them but, as I said before, in the long run, Aces are the way forward for you. There is a significant delay in getting stock from the factories so pretty much all skating retailers and fitters are struggling at the moment so don't be too disappointed if you have to wait a while to get your new boots/blades.

As to how long does it usually take to get used to new boots and blades, well, how long is a piece of string? It varies for everybody. Some people feel like they have completely new feet, others feel happy pretty much straight away - and everything inbetween! You'll notice that the blades run faster than your Rotations, that's for sure. Break in time varies significantly. Really can't help you there. Best to have a set of ankle gels (Everglides sell them if you don't already have them) on standby anyway.

Vladik

On the Ice
If they have Coronation Ace in your size, I would insist. If they don't, and there's a significant wait time, then you could go with the Legacy 7s. After Edea Rotation, you will love them but, as I said before, in the long run, Aces are the way forward for you. There is a significant delay in getting stock from the factories so pretty much all skating retailers and fitters are struggling at the moment so don't be too disappointed if you have to wait a while to get your new boots/blades.

As to how long does it usually take to get used to new boots and blades, well, how long is a piece of string? It varies for everybody. Some people feel like they have completely new feet, others feel happy pretty much straight away - and everything inbetween! You'll notice that the blades run faster than your Rotations, that's for sure. Break in time varies significantly. Really can't help you there. Best to have a set of ankle gels (Everglides sell them if you don't already have them) on standby anyway.
Thanks so much!! Because I live about 5 hours away from Everglides, they told me it’d be best for me to do an online appointment first to make sure they can order in stock for me, or just make sure they have what I’ll need in stock. My online appointment is booked for the 16th of March, and my in person is booked for the 5th of April!

So hoping that all goes to plan, they told me it should work out fine. I don’t want to be stuck with the Legacy 7 if it delays my progress, I think I’d rather wait until I can get the CA. :biggrin:

Mimi2789

Rinkside
Thank you so much!

I just purchased new skates, and my fitter pushed me towards the Legacy 7 because he said that there are currently stock a lot and quality control issues with the CAs (also my size was back ordered). This was also confirmed by a recent thread on reddit where people multiple posters had experienced flaking of the chrome coating on recently purchased CAs. Seems like a consequence of all of the supply chain shortages and manufacturing delays of the past 2 years. I wanted the CA but I wasn't willing to wait an undetermined amount of time for a blade that may need to be replaced.

Vladik

On the Ice
I just purchased new skates, and my fitter pushed me towards the Legacy 7 because he said that there are currently stock a lot and quality control issues with the CAs (also my size was back ordered). This was also confirmed by a recent thread on reddit where people multiple posters had experienced flaking of the chrome coating on recently purchased CAs. Seems like a consequence of all of the supply chain shortages and manufacturing delays of the past 2 years. I wanted the CA but I wasn't willing to wait an undetermined amount of time for a blade that may need to be replaced.
Oh no! Think I’ll send a message to Everglides now and see if they have any in stock or can get any in stock. Have they resolved the quality?

How are the Legacy 7’s?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Oh no! Think I’ll send a message to Everglides now and see if they have any in stock or can get any in stock. Have they resolved the quality?

How are the Legacy 7’s?
MK Pro is still an option if you can't get the CA's