Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova receive Mercedes, US$ 120,000 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova receive Mercedes, US$ 120,000

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Russia, and its predecessor, the USSR, have a tradition of rewarding Olympic gold medalists well. It is, indeed, how they roll.

In the US, you get a chance to meet the president...not equal to getting a Mercedes. And that is how the US rolls. Unfortunately.

... For Canada, it's $17,900 for gold, $13,400 for silver, $8,900 for bronze. ...

Plus ... Virtue/Moir had the very special honor of sitting at the head table with Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip at a state dinner in Canada in summer 2010. :yes:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd feel really sorry for the Russian medalists if all they got out of it was a chance to meet Putin. :laugh:

With that said here's a video of the Russian medalist meeting Putin, he awards them with state awards. Adelina is the only one who got a hug, then he kissed her on her head :laugh: V/T made individual speeches. Awarding starts at the 12 minute mark. Tatiana gives her speech at 14 minute mark, Maksim at the 16 minute mark. Most of the other skaters are awarded at the 18 minute mark to the 24th minute. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=A9BpWdlAg-g

amc987

On the Ice
Putin is only about 5'7. Yulia can't possibly be more than 5'0. She's in heels and she comes up to his shoulder.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Ashley Wagner just joked on Arsenio Hall's show that Putin has Napoleon syndrome. ;)

And now just imagine any Russian athlete saying something similar about Obama. American journalists would go nuts. Very low from Ashley. She truly deserves her low score.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
And now just imagine any Russian athlete saying something similar about Obama. American journalists would go nuts. Very low from Ashley. She truly deserves her low score.

It was a joke -- on a comedy show. I find it hard to believe that Russian comedians have never poked fun at Obama.

Wagner has a sense of humor. Apparently you do not.

And since when are competitive results supposed to be affected by off-ice comments??

ks777

Record Breaker
surprised about the swiss skier. I don't know if I want a pig... I'd rather want an expensive swiss watch or swiss bank account with some money...

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
It was a joke -- on a comedy show. I find it hard to believe that Russian comedians have never poked fun at Obama.

Wagner has a sense of humor. Apparently you do not.

Sorry, but I don't get jokes about someone's height, weight or physical appearances. That's really low, and not funny.

And since when are competitive results supposed to be affected by off-ice comments??

Fortunately, they are not, you are right. But what goes around, comes around.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sorry, but I don't get jokes about someone's height, weight or physical appearances. That's really low, and not funny.

I am 5' 2" on a good day -- and Ashley Wagner or anyone else is welcome to make a joke about my height (or lack thereof ;) :laugh:).

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think this thread took a turn for the better!

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
I am 5' 2" on a good day -- and Ashley Wagner or anyone else is welcome to make a joke about my height (or lack thereof ;) :laugh:).

If you were obese, and someone said that you have a fat mama syndrome, would you laugh? And if it is broadcasted? Sorry, but this sort of public behaviour from any public figure is inappropriate. Joke or not - she's getting a lot of attention, and with it comes the responsibility to watch her tongue. I like her honesty, but I don't like her jokes.

slutskayafann

Rinkside
figure skaters are not poor in Russia i remember reading they do figure skating soup operas and yagudin,slutskaya,etc did episodes.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
figure skaters are not poor in Russia i remember reading they do figure skating soup operas and yagudin,slutskaya,etc did episodes.

The way I figure it is this.

At my rink if I skate 15 hrs a week on ice that's $165. If I were to maintain that average for an entire year than that will be ~$8,500. Now that's without a coach. Most coaches are around $50-$75 an hour. Lets say I get a more average coach at $50 an hour. For only 5hrs of my 15hrs per week being with a coach that is $250 per week or ~$13,000 a year. So that is over $20,000 a year and that's just an above average skater with slightly above average time on ice. You can see when you factor in what an elite coach and elite skater who is spending a lot more time on ice can cost per year. Lets not forget the supposed inflation in Russian figure skating. These numbers could go thru the roof and become quite unmanageable !

My point is without support from the federation or hopefully sponsors than a lot of these girls would never have a chance. I read going into the games all Yulia wants is a house for her and her mom and how difficult it gets not having their own, I also wonder if any of that was going thru her head when she looked so crushed in the kiss and cry.