Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova receive Mercedes, US$ 120,000 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova receive Mercedes, US$ 120,000

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Not sure about that reference means?? But here's a picture of the pig: https://twitter.com/dariocologna/status/438698612634431488/photo/1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_House_on_the_Prairie#Little_House_on_the_Prairie

It is a well known American children's book, one of a series of books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Wilder wrote about her life as a child and young woman growing up on the prairie from the mid to late 1800's. The book was made into a long -running tv show.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The pig may have been in the TV show.

But having a pig as a prize in a sports event is surely a Frontier thing to do.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know the books, not sure about where the pig related to witg it.
:slink: sorry. If I remember right the townsfolk would trade pigs,chickens, and eggs to pay the doctor or various other odd jobs. As pointed out above a prize for a race too would be normal. Sorry to confuse. This show is so before my time and I probably have no business commenting on it.:laugh:

lady_bee

Medalist
That's great to know that the skaters get plenty of support in Russia! They don't get as much traction or attention in the Americas once the Olympics are over.

And I may not have agreed with the results of the ladies free skate, but I love that Adelina and Yulia both got great financial incentives. They both came from hardscrabble backgrounds and succeeded to become national darlings, and both view their skating as their jobs and they support their families. I respect that, regardless of the outcome.

:clap:

I am also very happy for those girls:clap:

rollerblade

Record Breaker
If you were obese, and someone said that you have a fat mama syndrome, would you laugh? And if it is broadcasted? Sorry, but this sort of public behaviour from any public figure is inappropriate. Joke or not - she's getting a lot of attention, and with it comes the responsibility to watch her tongue. I like her honesty, but I don't like her jokes.

Do you realize talk show hosts made/makes fun of our presidents (current or former) on a regular basis? There has to be a huge Leno joke collection on Clinton alone. Jon Stewart picked on Romney-Ryan daily during the election months. Politicians made for some healthy source of comedy. Can't be a public figure with such a thin skin. It's not like Ashley wishes cancer on Putin's children.

lady_bee

Medalist
Ok I just found out that Yuzuru Hanyu got $30,000 from JOC and another $30,000 from Japan figure skating.

He said he will donate it to the earthquake striken area and his used-be-home link, which was also damaged, in Sendai.
Good boy, but he doesn't have to be always that good, I think.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Do you realize talk show hosts made/makes fun of our presidents (current or former) on a regular basis? There has to be a huge Leno joke collection on Clinton alone. Jon Stewart picked on Romney-Ryan daily during the election months. Politicians made for some healthy source of comedy. Can't be a public figure with such a thin skin. It's not like Ashley wishes cancer on Putin's children.

I get it. And I do not say that jokes on politicians should stop - it's a big part of the political game and everyone enjoys it. It's just that one can not make fun of someone's physical appearance. It's not cool.

But if you insist, then okay, let's make a joke. Ashley has a horse face syndrome, that's why she behaves the way she behaves. Funny? No. Low? Yes.

elif

Medalist
I get it. And I do not say that jokes on politicians should stop - it's a big part of the political game and everyone enjoys it. It's just that one can not make fun of someone's physical appearance. It's not cool.

But if you insist, then okay, let's make a joke. Ashley has a horse face syndrome, that's why she behaves the way she behaves. Funny? No. Low? Yes.

Actually couple of days ago one poster said Ashley had some kind of attention syndrome and everyone reacted very badly to that. :laugh: Ironic isn't it? :laugh:

Icey

Record Breaker
I know this is my personal issue, but when I read julia got a gold medal at the Olympics, my reaction was, she did?:confused: Having trouble accepting the team medals as really being medals, although I know they full well are.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I know this is my personal issue, but when I read julia got a gold medal at the Olympics, my reaction was she did?:confused: Having trouble accepting the team medals as really being medals, although I know they full well are.

They probably preordered these cars for the hockey team so they had to give them out to someone :laugh:

Angryyew

Rinkside
I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this sort of thing. I realize the rules for amateurs have changed from the old days and they can't be the same, but my Mom is old enough to remember when Barbara Ann Scott had to return the car she was given after the 1948 Olympics.

We don't have to be quite so strict nowadays, but I'm not sure we should have gone in the opposite direction by giving out expensive cars and huge amounts of $$ to Olympic athletes. It does kind of change some of the original concept about keeping Olympic athletics untainted by glitzy gifts.

Given the enormous expense involved with training, travel, costumes, coaches, medical care etc....I don't think a relatively small cash prize or even a nice car is that big a deal.