flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So happy for Loena to win her first GP medal in a pretty stacked field (although not as stacked as Canada). And it's so nice to see her share her joy with her coach/brother. I always enjoyed Jorik when he competed - talent and hard work run in this family. And it was also her birthday, so I can't imagine a nicer present than a GP medal and winning the SP.

I had faith in her and put her in 3rd for the prediction contest - she did not let me down!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I got rather emotional when I watched Loena - both in the SP and the FS. I was sniffing behind the screen. Of course her reactions were priceless and mad me cry, but the skates themselves. Wow! I know she hasn't got a 3A or a quad, but boy does she know how to skate. So enjoyable. She got a medal today, but even if she hadn't, I'm all for her. So proud of this Belgian star!

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
Loena's great interview:

in Russian. I suppose the original should be in English as well, but I haven't found it yet. I can, of course, translate in the opposite direction.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
Could you do that @Alex Fedorov ? Just a summary (I know it's a lot of work to translate the whole thing) is already insightful. I haven't found an original English one either.
I don't have much time today, so I use regular machine translation with minimal revisions. Hope it doesn't ruin the interview too much.

part 1:

Q: I would like to start with the main thing - you have an awesome name. Why exactly it?

A: Oh thank you! (Laughs.) Honestly, I myself do not fully know why this happened and what is the reason. This name is not that very popular in Belgium. I think that's why my parents chose him - they wanted something more original, different from the another. And I definitely like it.

Q: Can you tell me how to pronounce it correctly? I found several variants on the Internet, but I'm not sure if they are correct. By the way, in Russia we pronounce it as Loona (Луна, the Moon on Russian).

A: And this is the correct variant! Only "L" is slightly softer than yours.

Q: Okay, the main thing I learned, now we can continue. You said in interviews that you have always had problems with jumping. What is the reason?

A: I think this is a consequence of the fact that I started to train hard rather late. Well, you know, in a really serious way - twice a day or more. It started around 13 years old. Before that, I trained once a day, about five days a week.

Therefore, my triples, so to speak, is simply too few years old. I started jumping all triples and double axels only at the age of 16. Of course, it is better to start doing this around 12 - then your body has time to get used to it, and in the future it becomes easier. This is probably where my jumping problems lie.

Q: Can you tell us how the athlete financing process works in Belgium? Do you receive any support from the state?

A: Now - yes, but the path to this was very long. When I first qualified for the Olympics [2018 in PyeongChang], I was told, “Wow, you are really talented! We will support you! " But all the same, everything works a little differently, as it should, because you pay AT ALL for everything. Therefore, I am very glad that during all these difficult moments my brother [Yorick Hendrix, a former Belgian figure skater] was with me. He has already gone this way, so everything was a little easier for me.

Q: And what have you done before?

A: Well, I trained for free, because Yorick already had a trainer [Karin Herrigers, she also trained Loena since she was 4], and I could train with him. We also had sponsorship to pay for travel to international competitions and additional training. This helped me a lot.