Lyrics in programs: Yay or Nay? Now the Season is Over | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Lyrics in programs: Yay or Nay? Now the Season is Over

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Vocal music in theory is no more or less trite than instrumental music. It depends what selections they choose.

I am concerned about choices that draw more attention to the singer than to the skater.

Taking the option to use a few lines of vocals in several minutes worth of mostly-instrumental program will likely be the most successful approach.

:agree: Some voices (especially operatic ones) are so powerful that you almost can't help paying more attention to them than to anything else. In the non-opera area an example that comes to mind is Odetta, who had a voice so big, so powerful, and so compelling that she could stop you dead in your tracks. :bow: Not saying that any of her songs would make good skating music -- just using her to represent a non-operatic voice that really could distract an audience.

The bottom line is that you'd have to be careful to choose a good performance by someone who's not going to overwhelm the main event -- the skating. Talk about tricky...

Full disclosure: I'm a singer, so I love just about any type of vocal music. As a skating fan, though, am inclined to be a bit skeptical of vocal music/lyrics in competition. OTOH, for exhibitions, fine by me! There are a few wordless vocal pieces that I think could work well for skaters, especially Villa-Lobos' Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5. Will try to come up w/ others & post later.

vlaurend

Final Flight
:agree: Some voices (especially operatic ones) are so powerful that you almost can't help paying more attention to them than to anything else. In the non-opera area an example that comes to mind is Odetta, who had a voice so big, so powerful, and so compelling that she could stop you dead in your tracks. :bow: Not saying that any of her songs would make good skating music -- just using her to represent a non-operatic voice that really could distract an audience.

The bottom line is that you'd have to be careful to choose a good performance by someone who's not going to overwhelm the main event -- the skating. Talk about tricky...

That is, in fact, the one thing I'm nervous about. . . Not sure if my skating will quite keep up with Kiri Te Kanawa when she hits those big, dramatic notes near the end!

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I'm probably viewing this too much out of a dancers perspective, but I don't see all that much of a problem. It's as much of a 'type of skater, type of program' thing as different music choices have been before. Some skaters will work better with it, some won't, and then they don't have to use it. I don't think 'good music but distracting vocals' is any worse than 'distracting music' itself, which was present before anyway (just remember how 'beloved' Adelina Sotnikovas Burlesque program was, or Gracie Golds first SP last season...). If the vocals are going to overpower the skater or not depends a lot on how good the skater is, and the overall enjoyment of the program always depends on that. I'm excited to see how skaters will deal with it! (But than again, I'm used to belly dancing to Marilyn Manson, I might have skewed perceptions :biggrin: )

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She has a hint of expression similar to that of a lot of Asian skaters. The way she flows with the music while doing crossovers and emotes on her turns and edges. She is still undeniably Russian and that is not a bad thing to me. I actually enjoy both styles of skating equally:yes: Hopefully Eteri can fix her technical hitches and maintain her current flow.

I guess this song isn't lyrical but the singing is absolutely wonderful to hear. I hope this is the type of music people choose and steer clear of cheesy pop songs. **cough let cough it ugh go*** :p

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For the most part, no! However, I loved Ross Miner's programs @ Liberty!

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm on the fence about it....think it depends on the song and the lyrics and whether it's skateable! Is that a word? But I shudder to think how many times we're going to hear the same song over and over. Listening to Carmen ad nauseum is bad enough but you don't have word "ear worms" that stay with you all day. You KNOW there will be overused music and the lyrics will make them more annoying. I think having lyrics in ice dance has worked well but I can't see it in singles or pairs. Guess I will!

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
OH, and to rant- please no Let It Go :frown: I'm hoping there will be up to 1 program set to it this year. I can handle just 1. I doubt this will be the case though.

arcticwolf

Rinkside
It depends on the type of music I guess. With ballads I think I'd focus on the vocals more than the singer. But if the song is more upbeat or it's rap music I think the beat would be enough to overshadow the vocals.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Nay. I much prefer vocal music in terms of personal listening habits, but I don't think it fits in a competitive program. I'd like to see skaters take us on a journey without using lyrics as a crutch. Plus, lyrics are too distracting (for me, personally) and takes my concentration away from the actual skating. Opens up too many cans of worms, as well, since many skaters might opt for less-than-stellar choices.

But no doubt, some great programs can result from this. I'll just have to wait and see.

trains

On the Ice
Nay I think. Songs are written to showcase the singer as the star. That seems at odds with the skater being the star at the same time.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Put this issue in another light- i cant waitto see a wider range of music being used. There are so many different kinds of music that use lyrics as an instrument rather than being the dominant instrument like you hear in a pop song etc.

Sometimes change is nice and change needs to happen so something new can be talked about/become interesting. Give people the choice to use music with lyrics or no lyrics and trust that the skaters and their coaching team k ow what they are doing.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Before we go all doom and gloom and say skating now is in the trashbin...let this season come and see how people use this new choice.

Let us not be so dismissive about it.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Barber of Seville - Largo al factotum aria would be hilarious for sure! Quite interesting!:)

Brings back pleasant memories of Dan Hollander, and more recently Harrison Choate (US Junior pewter medalist 2012) :love:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Before we go all doom and gloom and say skating now is in the trashbin...let this season come and see how people use this new choice.

Let us not be so dismissive about it.

I agree. Some programs will be great, some won't...no different than it's ever been. And people are saying it's going to be too much opera or top 40 pop music, but so far I don't see any real trend in the choices this year. I believe more variety is a good thing, so I'm not opposed to the rule change.

96skiluvr

On the Ice
As others have said, it think it really depends on the music:

I/K Ghost - nay
W/P Je Suis Malade - YAY

I don't like vocals being used a crutch to tell the story (such as the Ghost), but taking a song like JSM and skating to it worked wonderfully for W/P, so I really think it depends on what the vocals are and how they're used

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I agree. Some programs will be great, some won't...no different than it's ever been. And people are saying it's going to be too much opera or top 40 pop music, but so far I don't see any real trend in the choices this year. I believe more variety is a good thing, so I'm not opposed to the rule change.

I don't think there's going to be a lot of top 40 because it's mostly pop music, maybe top 40 artists but their slower songs probably. I think first skaters will go for something classic like You Raise Me Up (I believe someone is already doing this) or Celine Dion or something before being more experimental. Also a lot of overused music with lyrics are being used first, I believe Haruka Imai is using Malaguena with lyrics and there's a few others I can't remember right now.