Lysacek announces return to competitive skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Lysacek announces return to competitive skating

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It is funny you compare Evan to Witt. Remember Witt came only 7th at the Olympics in her comeback. That sounds like about where Evan will probably place if he makes it to Vancouver, and like Witt 8th and 9th places being people who would have beaten him too but bombed.

Yes, she did, but that was the Olympics she enjoyed most. I have understood that Evan is coming back, becauses he likes to compete and missed it during a previous SOI tour very much.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I think Evan will do just fine. He is confident. He is a competitior. He has the right team and support. He has the resources. Talent wise he is sort of like katarina Witt - he comes up solid when needed. Sure, he doesn't have the personality or style of Witt and technically he really isn't in the same league as Takahashi and Chan at this point. But Evan like Witt who beat the likes of Josee Chouinard et al in 1994 have that un canny ability to get judges on their side. Who knows his true motives - money, fame, 15 more minutes of attention. My personal opinion which will offend some is that Evan really should be grateful for what he has and move on. Unless he picks ups ome flare he has b een more than lucky to win a WGM and OGM. But that being said he might be a b ig time skater who comes through. In 1994 and in 2010 there were tonnes of excellent men's skaters but something happened that allowed others to win. In 1994 it was supposed to be Brian Boitano or Kurt Browning but Urmanov and Stoijko snuck through. In 2010 there was Plushy, Lambiel, Joubert, Tak, Oda, kozuka, Verner, Weir and even Chan to name a few.

Out of interest, is Evan naturally that dark or is it fake and bake? It does help him appear more exotic or even East Indian.

Lysacek was world champion and grand prix final winner for the Olympic season! He was not out of nowhere like Urmanov! And certainly seen as having superior chances to winning than almost all of those people you mention from 2010. I just remember Sports Illustrated having him predicted for silver or bronze. Maybe Chan was silver. Most of the people who weren't predicting him to win thought quads were important to judges in skating and that was wrong to think. The system valued Lysaceks program the most with the backloading and all that. Plushenko's program had no value it just had a quad but people thought doing that jump was important. Worlds 2008 and 2009 and GPF of 2009 and most GP events medalists and winners did not even try quads. Being world champion without a quad allowed for the Plushenko predictions but those were stupid. The 2009 world champion absolutely should have been seen as the frontrunner for 2010 because quads had no value.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
The 2009 world champion absolutely should have been seen as the frontrunner for 2010 because quads had no value.

What do you mean that "quads had no value."

I find that to be an absolutely inaccurate comment.

Just to set you straight quads had more value than any other jumps at '09 Worlds and the 2010 Olympics.

On the other hand tilted jumps with scratchy landings with the easiest possible entrances were not rewarded as well as clean jumps that were preceded by even simple transitions.

What part of that remains a mystery to the great Plushenko's army of fans?

BTW, I agree with BOP.....and if I had been judging Dai would have won the OGM in Vancouver.
And I would not have given it a second thought as i found Dai's skating not just a little better, but extremely better.

But we live in a CoP world now and great performances don't mean nearly as much as they did under the former system.

As Lambiel recently lamented, there are no points for the program as a whole.....

I agree with Lambiel and say, what a shame.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't disagree that Evan was a favourite for Oly gold in 2010 but it doesn't make him in my mind a worthy OGM. It is more than being the favourite. Why people come back - I strongly believe you cannot believe everything soemone says when they come back. There is careful weighint the pros and cons and you do something to favour yourself usually - though pure joy would be nice to believe we are all far more calculating. Right now there is little for a skater to lose to come back as there isn't much opportunity for pro skates or even exhibitions.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Right now there is little for a skater to lose to come back as there isn't much opportunity for pro skates or even exhibitions.

True in some ways. I imagine that Evan is not lying when he said he realized he still loves the training but of course he must have considered what his goals could realistically be in this comeback and if he says he loves competing than clearly the implication is that he hopes to compete well and hopefully win competitions. Nothing wrong with that. I don't know how well Evan can really compete with Patrick or Daisuke these days but I bet he looked at the U.S. field and thought, well, I can surely compete with those guys and have a very good chance of ending up on the Olympic team. Not that I don't like Jeremy or Adam or many of the other guys - I do - but inconsistency just seems to have gotten in the way so many times.

P.S. I am sure glad for him that he is coming back this year and not during the Olympic year a la Sasha. Very curious to see how he will do this year.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
What do you mean that "quads had no value."

I find that to be an absolutely inaccurate comment.

Just to set you straight quads had more value than any other jumps at '09 Worlds and the 2010 Olympics.

On the other hand tilted jumps with scratchy landings with the easiest possible entrances were not rewarded as well as clean jumps that were preceded by even simple transitions.

What part of that remains a mystery to the great Plushenko's army of fans?

BTW, I agree with BOP.....and if I had been judging Dai would have won the OGM in Vancouver.
And I would not have given it a second thought as i found Dai's skating not just a little better, but extremely better.

But we live in a CoP world now and great performances don't mean nearly as much as they did under the former system.

As Lambiel recently lamented, there are no points for the program as a whole.....

I agree with Lambiel and say, what a shame.

Quads were worth points and 9.8 points but what did they matter? They mattered not in the slightest for anyone. You can say everyone who did one stunk and did horrible ones but it's a quad? Sometimes they can be great and flawless but the historical firsts were poor. With COP in Vancouver it was all "who cares if one was done it wasn't great and amazing so points off!!" It was better when the all he tech got a score and usually technically advanced moves only added to the score and raised the score. Like 5.9. But now with the changes people are trying more quads and I think doing quads better because they can get rewarded ulike in Vanouver where doing quads was only a negative for skaters there.

And it is true that jumps were not seen as important only transitions into jumps. So who cares if you could do a quad you didnt do a spread eagle before it so you really didn't do anything.

I don't disagree that Evan was a favourite for Oly gold in 2010 but it doesn't make him in my mind a worthy OGM. It is more than being the favourite. Why people come back - I strongly believe you cannot believe everything soemone says when they come back. There is careful weighint the pros and cons and you do something to favour yourself usually - though pure joy would be nice to believe we are all far more calculating. Right now there is little for a skater to lose to come back as there isn't much opportunity for pro skates or even exhibitions.

Somehow in Vacouver it was all About Lysacek and the judges loving what he was doing with COP and they voted him the god! You could take out quads and have no performance ability or artistry just whatever was the most COP savvy and smart.

There is not enough pro stuff so competing is the best direction for many in the US.

Last edited:

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
Well, I'm very curious to find out if Evan will do well in his comeback. He certainly has the ability and the mental strenght to compete so I wouldn't rule him out...

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Yes, she did, but that was the Olympics she enjoyed most. I have understood that Evan is coming back, becauses he likes to compete and missed it during a previous SOI tour very much.

Something tells me Evan wont enjoy coming around 7th at the Olympics in his return as much as Witt did.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sun Valley Resort ‏@SunValleyResort
Due to an unforeseen circumstance @EvanLysacek will not be performing in this weekend's #SVOnIce show. For more info call 888.622.2108
11:34 AM - 16 Aug 12​

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
If Evan could (and I think he could have) competed with Kat's consistency these last two years, he might have won all.

I'm wondering if you have followed last two years' competitions at all?!

Due to an unforeseen circumstance @EvanLysacek will not be performing in this weekend's #SVOnIce show. For more info call 888.622.2108

I hope he's all right.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
In fairness it might be tempting to think that since Chan wins alot of events with alot of falls but if Chan is deemed worthy to beat skaters like Takahashi skating great even with lots of mistakes (rightly or wrongly) I am sure it would be pretty easy to beat Evan with the same skates. After all Evan has never beaten a great Takahashi in a competition, with or without a quad, and I doubt he ever could.

In any case I think Hanyu will be Chan's biggest threat, if he has any that is, for Sochi. Takahashi will have to mantain his level of skating of last year and build on it to be fighting with those two which will be a challenge given his age. Evan as I said will do well to match Witt's Olympic placement if he makes it to Sochi, and like Witt will be in a dogfight to even make his own team. It is funny to say Witt was passed by technically by 94, but to think Evan hasnt been when looking at the current men.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I'm wondering if you have followed last two years' competitions at all?!

I hope he's all right.

Yes, I have, Chan wins. It is called inflation, and it is rediculous. Evan should have stayed in, no breaks, used his OGM points (just like Plush used points in 2010 to get on Podium with the worst skate of his career in a big venue) Give him a break, he is a WC and rightly the OGM. An exciting skater, and someone who is more amazing as he is so tall and that's a huge disadvantage competing against these short guys with the advantage. He won in vancouver as the best, only 2 years ago. He won without a quad showing how much the judges under CoP thought of everything he did do, jumps, transistions, footwork, choreography. It was not a gift. He beat all those skaters. Plush had legend points and they made it look close but it was not. Plush, someone I love for his uniqueness, and longevity and his divo behavior (so entertaining!) wasn't even close to Evan. But they gotta make it look like it was close as the Russian Fed is so powerful, and Plush is the biggest competing legend left in the sport. And he was every inch the legend by Vancouver. Just coming back awarded him points!

You think the CoP is fair re point regarding jumps, Blue? I guess you think Chan is so much better he deserved those early season wins last year in the GP while doing splatfests. You are a Chan uber who thinks those numbers are accurate and the actually "mean' something. He isn't miles ahead of Dai. Yuna wasn't miles ahead of Mao in many competitions. That is FS subjective favoritism. Everone loves speed and that is why Carolina is WC. Sure she may do 3 jumps, but she looks fantastic at everything else. There is no rhyme or reason to the judging and it doesn't matter how many protocols one brings up. Chan is far and away the favorite in every competition. When was the last time you heard a crowd actually boo the WC who skated well, because of the unfair scoring all season. inflation is so viral Dai should stay home. They all should. Kinda like Nationals with MK. No one was ever going to win. Altho MK deserved her wins at nationals more than Chan did in his GP events last season He was not a favorite in Vancover was he? And he PAID for his mistakes there. Last time he did, too. I hope hanyu is peaking at Sochi. Simply payback for the coming season where Chan will win regardless. it gets boring. 2-7th place are interesting, as Gold is taken.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
how did something so benign become so heated?

Evan went on today show to announce again that he is coming back to skating (this time for real, maybe). Now we're back to the same battles from last season and even two seasons ago? :sarcasm: Let's take a break and cool down. No need to start calling people out over anything. Ultimately we're all fans of the same sport.

callalily

On the Ice
I do not get why everyone disses Evan like he is a lousy skater. It does get annoying and I think it is a trend, at least here. i will have to look at FSU to see if trend prevails on other discussion board.

Unfortunately, it does. Dissing Evan has been a long-time trend, dissing Patrick is a newer trend, etc. These trends are very much part of online fandom, and they bug me too.

I respect all of the top skaters that you mentioned - they all have different strengths and qualities to admire. I'm glad Evan is returning to competition, if he feels motivated to continue in the sport.

FS will never be a totally friendly discussion until they make the rules simpler, fairer, and make the judging transparent.

I wish that were possible but I don't think it is. All of the judged sports have problems in this area, but figure skating most of all, IMO, because it truly is a blend of sport and art, an experience that can be as much emotional as intellectual for the viewer. Some people will respond to technical difficulty, others to interpretation, power/speed, musicality, complexity, simplicity (with beautifully finished moves/edges/lines), risk-taking/boldness, careful/precise/accurate execution, ice command, delicacy, etc. All of these qualities can be admired, but depending which a person most values, they will likely favour one skater over another. I think it's impossible to create a marking rubric to capture and weight all of this in a way everyone would agree with.

Unfortunately medals and therefore a marking scheme are necessary for the sport to be funded. For governments or other sponsors to invest money in the sport, and for skaters to invest their own time&money in pursuing competitive goals (including the ultimate goal of the Olympics), there need to be winners and losers, and a ranking - although saying that someone was 2nd not 3rd, or 7th not 9th is usually pretty meaningless in this sport, IMO.

On the positive side, figure skating is one of the most difficult and most beautiful sports in existence, and watching it is a joy. I hate to see any skaters dissed, because they work so hard and are doing the best they can within the boundaries of the sport. They aren't celebrities or reality-TV personalities (thank heavens), and they work for years without expectations of getting rich.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
If you think people who critisize Evan 's skating have to be Plushenko and Daisuke ubers -cause otherwise everybody else must appreciate his skating, i propose a tour in the archives of 2008-2009. or early 2009 -2010 when both Daisuke and Evgeni were not even competing or did not compete with Evan anyway before GPF and Olympics.
Also Chan and Evan are hardly the only skaters heavy critisized on the boards, every skater who goes on top gets scrutinized by the skating fans, so get used to it, it is only normal.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
His gold tarnished a bit when he showed us money would rule his heart over competition for the US, and I was someone who hopes an older lady is not being used for money, connections etc.

Where did you get this idea, huh? Perhaps you missed Mathman´s posting number 32 on this thread:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...titive-skating&p=654342&viewfull=1#post654342

And about Vera Wang, she is an old family friend, Lysacek has mentioned that fact years and years ago in an interview.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
I respect all of the top skaters that you mentioned - they all have different strengths and qualities to admire. I'm glad Evan is returning to competition, if he feels motivated to continue in the sport.

On the positive side, figure skating is one of the most difficult and most beautiful sports in existence, and watching it is a joy. I hate to see any skaters dissed, because they work so hard and are doing the best they can within the boundaries of the sport.

:thumbsup: My thought exactly! :yes:

centerpt1

On the Ice

Champs Camp is coming up- so hopefully he's just tweaking a program. Or perhaps a sponsor has him doing advertising or something else.

I expect Evan to do quite well at SA, and with his comeback, in general-at least among the US men. Unless Dornbush or Miner step waaay up, it's Johnny and Jeremy he has to beat. Johnny, although more pleasing to watch (for me) has never really been able to get enough in a program to maximize his point potential. It will be interesting to see what his new team has done to build this area. Jeremy, (more pleasing to watch and more creative) well, he's amazing, but not a solid competitor. Plus he's been touring this summer and is just now getting his programs. I don't see Rippon as a threat, but who knows?

I don't think Evan can be top 3 against the international men. The field is so very deep now.