Lysacek optimistic his issues with U.S. skating close to resolution | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Lysacek optimistic his issues with U.S. skating close to resolution

A quad solves all problems. I'll believe it when I see it. Without a quad, Evan must at least man up with a 3A+3T, even though that does not gain him any extra CoP points. (JMO)

tampro1

Rinkside
Well, he did twenty-and-a-half rotations in the second half at the Olympics.

Good point.:laugh: Evan and his team are going to do what it takes to maximize the points and be a contender. The men's event could be exciting if all these comebacks really happen. Though I appreciate Chan's skating skills and marvel at Takahashi's brilliance, the men's event has been missing that spark :disapp:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Of course talk is cheap. How many times have we heard how well practices have been going for a skater including the quad and then... Show me the jumps (lol). And if Evan has the jumps I think we'd like to see him up the ante on skating skills rather than relying on wearing a Vera Wang (lol - sorry I am getting catty). Seriously though Evan has landed quads before the issue is can he do it in competition regularly again and can he handle a back half loaded program? We'll see. Maybe he is the greatest competitor of all time.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
...I thought he wore Dior or something like that? If you're going to get catty, at least bring in the correct name! ;) (Wang is soooooo overrated)

Nadine

Record Breaker
Back on topic: Lysacek was seen doing a beautiful 3Lz+1Lo+3F the other day.

This interests me because in a way it reminds me of Evgeni's beautiful 3A/.5R/3F combo. at the 2002 Olympics, one of my favorite combinations of all-time, mind you. :cool: Therefore I'm really interested to see how Evan does with the aforementioned combo., as anything out of the ordinary gets my attention. :)

Good Luck, Evan, and Welcome Back! :)^)

SkateFan66

On the Ice
...I thought he wore Dior or something like that? If you're going to get catty, at least bring in the correct name! ;) (Wang is soooooo overrated)

Evan wore Dior in the past. However, Vera Wang designed his costumes for the 2009-2010 competitive season. Wang has also designed some of Evan's show costumes.

Show me the jumps (lol).

Well, let's see. At the Olympics Evan's two biggest point-getters were 3Lz+3T (just like Yi-na Kim, only Kim got higher GOEs) and 3A+2T (just like Mao Asada).

In fact, Lysacek did 3A+2T and a solo 3A and 3F+2T+Lo -- just like Asada, except Asada's was a 3F+2Lo+2Lo.

But never mind that. What about the costumes? :rock:

Lysacek ("And the home of the brave!")

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/.a/6a00d8341c60fd53ef013488048d5f970c-800wi

Asada ("Eek! My hand looks like a starfish!" :laugh: )

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID20118/images/Mao_Asada_FS_3.jpg

Kim (OK, so it's not just the costume, but you get the idea. :) )

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7lV-ym2BpsI/TLE6Esc2FgI/AAAAAAAAAGY/eh7ObcKoDXE/s1600/378470121.jpg

Edited to add: Here is a Lysacek quote from 2009:

The quad is the future of our sport. Our judging system has become so technically driven that we have to now focus on the technique and push the envelope.

We've lost our six-point scale of judging. The "6.0" was such a huge brand for our sport and we lost that brand when we lost that system. One brand we have now is the quad; it's the only thing that’s recognizable to anyone, whether they know skating or not.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
^ Oy Mathman, you add oil to the fire? :laugh:

Yuna 's photo is awesome btw.

I like Vera Wang wedding dresses very much, when I ll be married I ll ask Evan for help. :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
(just like Yi-na Kim, only Kim got higher GOEs) and 3A+2T (just like Mao Asada).

In fact, Lysacek did 3A+2T and a solo 3A and 3F+2T+Lo -- just like Asada, except Asada's was a 3F+2Lo+2Lo.

are you saying this is not mens' skating, it is ladies? :)cause I ve heard that before somewhere..

Seniorita, you're wicked! In the nicest possible way.

This section of the thread reminds me how much I miss YuNa. I'm glad she's happy, but I do miss her skating. Thank goodness for Asada and her perseverance! And for Plushy. And for Evan, if he really, truly comes back.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
^As far as I can tell, if you apply men's PCS factoring to Yu-Na's scores from Vancouver, her SP score works out to 86.95 and her LP score would be 168, for a total of 254.95. She would have won the LP and knocked Dai off the podium...

Someone wrote during the Olympics that Evan's costume made him look like a black spider, and added some less complimentary comments which I will not repeat except maybe by PM. I can't really think of any designer costumes that were particularly impressive - Kwan's costumes were pretty, but not special; Nancy Kerrigan's were blah, and Carolina Kostner's Cavalli costumes were tacky. And let's not even discuss what Surya Bonaly wore. None of these were nearly as nice as Peggy Fleming's homemade chartreuse dress.

I loved that chartreuse dress! And it's about the only time I ever loved chartreuse. It was perfect for Peggy's coloring and for the occasion.

But Buttercup, I have to put one other dress on the costume list: Rachael Flatt's magnificent Firebird costume for this year's long program. It was beautiful, even poetically so in the way it reflected the music. For me it may be the best costume ever, except that I have a vague memory of one of the Finnish ladies in 2006 in a really glorious stars-in-a-midnight-sky dress (Korpi, possibly, or Poykio) and a few chic outfits of Carolina Kostner's through the years. Definitely, though, Flatt's radiant dress tops the list for me.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Eeks! I forgot about the "snakes" on Evan's costume, and he's a Dapper Dan pomade poster boy for sure.

I always thought Nancy's dresses were elegant.

Don't know who designed it, but I liked Kristi's black/gold lp dress in Albertville -- perhaps a bit too much of a late 80's/early 90s vibe but overall has enough of a classic look to still be attractive, looking back after 20 years (yikes).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I hated the snake costume... actually of the last quad he was in... I liked only his Carmen costume...

Well, Grease was a cool costume, too bad the judges no like that program...