Madison Chock & Evan Bates | Page 54 | Golden Skate

Madison Chock & Evan Bates

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am definitely rooting for the alien & astronaut to have a happier ending this Olympics. I feel they have as good a shot as any of the other contenders for a medal. Right now I see a lot more difficult and steadier skating than the snake dance. I feel that their material is still gaining momentum and that they have not maxed out either programs potential yet. I honestly think they may catch H/D this year. I also like their chances against G/P of Canada, whose material seems to have peaked with not a lot of momentum gained. They are my pick for bronze if they can avoid costly errors that have set them back in the past.

dancelion21

On the Ice

Madi and Evan have made some changes to their choreo step, which Sam posted on his Instagram story today. I prefer this version since it's more energetic than the previous version.

dancelion21

On the Ice
In the most recent episode of their podcast, Chock/Bates revealed that Evan was dealing with a back injury in the leadup to 2021 US Nationals. They had alluded to the fact that training for Nationals last year was quite difficult, but we only knew of Madi's concussion in July last year which led to their withdrawal from 2020 Skate America. They didn't talk about Evan's back pain which left him off the ice for a while. Fingers crossed that they're healthier this year and not dealing with extraneous injuries.

Last edited:

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Not sure if this is right place to ask, but does anyone have an edit of C/B's FD music? I really like it but am not the biggest fan of any of the individual songs that make it up.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I do know that the order of songs are:

Contact" by Daft Punk; "Touch" by Daft Punk; "Within" by Daft Punk; "Touch" by Daft Punk

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am so happy for them.I can't wait to listen to their post Nationals podcast :love:

But although they were very very good, I believe they can do better than that! I felt they were rather careful about edges and all, and skated to not make any mistakes. Then an error with the last lift (choreo lift, I think) that Evan fixed immediately...

But it was still wonderful

Otoh, the rhythm dance was super special!

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I am SO thrilled with the results at Nationals! Wow, that rhythm dance really set them up to win overall provided there were no major mistakes. It's extremely difficult to make up 2 1/2 points when both teams skate well.

I agree with Tanith on the NBC broadcast that they should rework the ending of the FD a bit. Of course, it didn't help at all that the last dance lift looked clunky causing them to end before the music. The ending of the dance just needs more impact - I have no doubt Sam was watching that performance and already had ideas about changing things up a bit.

But that doesn't take away with how wonderful it is they won their 3rd US title and are going into the Olympics as the #1 US team. That is huge for them!

(is it too much to hope for that Evan will be selected to carry the US flag for the opening ceremony? He is, after all, a 4-time Olympian!)

dancelion21

On the Ice
Post-Nationals Podcast is Out!

A few fun details
- They stayed at an AirBnb over US Nationals (smart move, like Nathan, mitigate the COVID risk)
- Evan's jacket ripped during practice and Patrice covered it up using black sharpie

dancelion21

On the Ice

dancelion21

On the Ice
Madi and Evan in this article from People: https://people.com/sports/beijing-o...twitter.com&utm_term=61e9dd46eaf39e00015f3b13
With a long career already behind them, 29-year-old Madison Chock and Evan Bates, 32, are no stranger to the top of the podium, with three national championships and multiple Olympic berths to their name. But the couple — on and off the ice (they announced they were dating in 2017) — say they're about to hit their peak.
Bates: "Some part of me feels like it's something we've been working towards for a long, long time and talking about for a long, long time. And then the other part of me is like, 'How did it get here so quickly?' It's just bizarre."
Chock: "Even at nationals, we had two good skates, a great skate in the short. And the free we felt like we definitely can still improve. And we're like, 'Okay, that's fine because we don't want to be peaking right at this moment. It's not time yet.' But now we have two weeks to gear up and kind of complete our training plan and get ready to peak in Beijing."
Bates: "We are so lucky because we have this thing that we share, this ice dance that's our own little corner of the universe. And it's something that we together get to pour everything into. We're super passionate about it. We push each other, we inspire each other, we share ideas, we go back and forth. It's our job, but it doesn't feel like our job. It doesn't feel like work because it's such a passion. It's such an art form. And it's just so unique that we get to do that together, and that we're also in love."
Chock: "We've learned so much from skating and experiencing so many high moments and low moments that we've found such a deep support for each other and communication that we continue to work on and foster through our sport. And so that's been really helpful for our relationship off the ice to have learned those lessons and to be able to deal with that kind of stress and pressure and excitement."
Bates: "And I think the growth that we've achieved and the success we've had in the last three and a half years since moving has already been such a success that whatever happens in Beijing won't necessarily make or break whether we feel like it was worth it. We don't feel we have to go there and make up for anything that's happened in the past that what we've already done and the growth we've experienced has been more than worth the move and all the work that we've put in."

Also, they released a new episode of their podcast today, talking about some of their Olympic memories: https://open.spotify.com/episode/3cwFAeJJIkrlZSmXknd2Qq?si=c4d0a748623e409d
  • Evan accidentally got dog poop on his closing ceremony outfit in Vancouver 2010
  • The athletes weren't allowed to ride the bikes at Sochi 2014 until after their event because one of the athletes fell off a bike early on at the Games.
  • Madi got dust in her eye at Pyeongchang 2018 the day before the rhythm dance and had to get a minor procedure

dancelion21

On the Ice
Madi and Evan are the captains for team USA! They took part in the press conference after day 1, where team USA are currently first ahead of team ROC and team CHN.

It's already been reported by IAM that Madi and Evan are skating the free dance portion, but they were also spotted by Jackie Wong training their free dance during the team event practice session. It's not officially announced yet, but I would be surprised if they weren't doing the free dance

dancelion21

On the Ice
Nice article about Madi and Evan's free program. It's paywalled, but it again reiterates that Madi and Evan are going to be doing the free dance for the team portion, and that they knew about this before leaving, which is again not surprising.

They are expected to perform the routine in the free-dance portion of the Olympic Team Event in Beijing (scheduled to air Sunday night on NBC). The U.S. has taken bronze in the team event the last two Olympic Games. But after the first day of competition, Team USA was in first place with 28 points, while the Russian Olympic Committee was in second with 26.

Zachary Donohue and Madison Hubbell, who was born in Lansing, skated the rhythm portion of the team event. But Chock and Bates are expected to take the free dance for Team USA.

At least, that was the plan before they headed to the Olympics.

“We will definitely be taking part in the team event,” Chock told me before leaving.
"We're just so grateful for the opportunity that this presents. There's a global pandemic going on, and we're so fortunate that the Olympics are happening. We get to perform and show all of our hard work and share our passion with the world.”