Madison Hubbell & Zachary Donohue | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Madison Hubbell & Zachary Donohue

Barb

Record Breaker
I found their SD to be hauntingly beautiful but now I am concerned with all the talk upthread about the 6/8 signature being an issue. I hope that if it is an issue with officials that is noted early in the season and not allowed to slide until a major competition later in the year. (The fact that a team can perform elements or skate to music all season and be fine and then suddenly be told NO drives me crazy and is fodder for a different thread)

Agree. If there is some problem is better judges says NOW. I guess because of the different program they presented it so early at this competition, for to have a feedback of judges and I bet their coaches consulted with others too while they did the program.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
U.S. teams tend to get told to get rid of questionable programs at a critique at Champs Camp. Meryl & Charlie were told to change programs sometimes.

blancanieves

On the Ice
U.S. teams tend to get told to get rid of questionable programs at a critique at Champs Camp. Meryl & Charlie were told to change programs sometimes.

Yes, I understand that's the main point of the camp: program evaluation. If Champs Camp's officials have successfully prevented programs with timing issues (specifically) to slip through thus far, I'd' trust that they will reliably continue to do so.

I think all U.S. teams expect to implement program adjustments, to a greater or lesser extent, after the camp.

Last edited:

wishonastar

On the Ice
Madison's bitterness is barely concealed. Lots of sniping there. Not cool.

I don't read any bitterness in there at all. They knew that they needed to make some changes in order to grow and be pushed to their potential. Speaking of what you are getting at your new training facility doesn't mean you are bitter with your old coaches. They went through a lot in the past two years and felt a change was needed. I'm sure it was a hard decision, they were very close with their coaches.

slider11

Medalist
Madison and Zach have some proving to do with the USFSA. You may recall that they were given Worlds last year but Hawayek and Baker were given 4Cs. I think the message was, you got third at Nationals so you go to Worlds but this may be it. Madison does have an edgy personality that does sometimes come across negatively. She seems very honest in putting forth her feelings however they are perceived. But it sometimes seems like "sour grapes" or immature; there's a fine line between honesty and brat-iness. It will be interesting to see how their new coaches are able to bring out something different. I always liked their performances and the unique type of style they exhibited.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Madison and Zach have some proving to do with the USFSA. You may recall that they were given Worlds last year but Hawayek and Baker were given 4Cs. I think the message was, you got third at Nationals so you go to Worlds but this may be it. Madison does have an edgy personality that does sometimes come across negatively. She seems very honest in putting forth her feelings however they are perceived. But it sometimes seems like "sour grapes" or immature; there's a fine line between honesty and brat-iness. It will be interesting to see how their new coaches are able to bring out something different. I always liked their performances and the unique type of style they exhibited.
I agree with your assessment of the h/d h/b 4cc and world's allocation. Jean luc and Kaitlyn won tons of praise for their free dance, the judges must have been very tempted to put them in third. I remember being the highlight of the entire dance event when I was watching in the arena. The federation wanted to make sure h/b took notice, but luckily it looks like they got the message and aren't going away without a fight!!

blancanieves

On the Ice
Madison and Zach have some proving to do with the USFSA. You may recall that they were given Worlds last year but Hawayek and Baker were given 4Cs.

I think Madison and Zach began to prove themselves at Worlds. Not appearing before the judges at either the GPF or 4CC/Europeans, the way all the other teams in the top 10 had, was a significant handicap in terms of WS points and potential PC scores heading into Shanghai. Despite that, and even the small twizzle error in the SD, their performances impressed 1) the judges, enough to place them 10th, and 2) D/L, who chose them out of many who asked to join the Gadbois school.

It'll be great to watch the rest of the season to see what happens next. But, we are already seeing a change of attitude towards them in the sports media, including USFSA's Icenetwork. They're once again being accepted as potential "serious players."

blancanieves

On the Ice
Thank you!! I love it, at this moment, my favorite SD this season . Too bad the silly fall, and she is so beautiful, she definitely needs a better dress.

It's not that the dress isn't pretty, but for me it doesn't fit the program. I get a sense of soulfulness and reverence from this music, so I don't think a party dress or sparkly embellishments make sense. I want to see something sleek with clean lines. Actually, I loved the cut of the dress she wore at the Quebec competition, it highlighted her back and long torso. Oh well, maybe they'll keep experimenting.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
So what do you think of their FD this season? I admit to being disappointed. I just don't think this is the program to move them up the US podium (and maybe it won't even maintain their 3rd place). I can see the progress they have made in their lines and extensions since moving to Canada and that is good. I adore their SD, just wish the FD was more real and not so contrived.