Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 93 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I can't deal.
I'm so heartbroken.
I think they really deserved that third national title. I don't know why the Circular Step Sequence was only level 3.

First Jason and now this. I can't deal.
Go prove the haters wrong at the Olympics and win an individual medal :) Or any medal :)

Barb

Record Breaker
They will be fine, it was less than 1 point. I don´t know about the circular step seq, it looked spectacular but I will have to rewatch it later. Actually, the diagonal step seq was looking really great too before the mistake. Anyway here is their performance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNx-mhZGJ34

musicfan80

Medalist
I have no doubt that the Shibs will be ready next month. :yes:

I think what's going to be interesting is who the U.S. picks for the team competition. I'm assuming that the Shibs would do the SD because it is the strongest, but which team would do the FD? These three teams are so close and a team is going to be left out of an Olympic medal (assuming the U.S gets the bronze).

Bookworm

Rinkside
I have to say, even with the error and disappointing result, it was such a treat to see the Shibs' free dance in person today. I was so engaged by their performance up until that minor mistake. I am also happy to report that I was sitting with a group of fairly casual figure skating fans who unanimously believed the Shibs were the highest-quality and most polished skaters of the final flight. Also happy to report that any quibbles about their speed or ice coverage is just garbage. They have it all and I am proud to be a Shibs fan.

Barb

Record Breaker
I have to say, even with the error and disappointing result, it was such a treat to see the Shibs' free dance in person today. I was so engaged by their performance up until that minor mistake. I am also happy to report that I was sitting with a group of fairly casual figure skating fans who unanimously believed the Shibs were the highest-quality and most polished skaters of the final flight. Also happy to report that any quibbles about their speed or ice coverage is just garbage. They have it all and I am proud to be a Shibs fan.

:thank: and I am glad that you enjoyed it

-------------

From Jakie Wong twitter:

Shibutanis: At this pt in our career, we have developed a training strategy. This being our 2nd Oly, we know what it's like. We've been to the venue before, so that provides valuable insights as to how we prepare. We haven't skated to full potential yet,by a long shot #USChamps18

Shibutanis: When you go out there and not do the best you can do, that's when it's most frustrating. Ice dance around the world right now ... is incredibly intense, that's the big difference from four years ago. #USChamps18

Shibutanis: Alex and I have a lot to be proud of coming into this week. Today, we had a mistake in the diagonal, but we had each other's backs but there were a lot of things we can be proud of. And we have time to keep pushing ourselves. #USChamps18

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Their SD was PHENOMENAL (as we all knew it would be). It feels like such a party every time I watch it. I liked Maia's old dress a little better, but I LOVE how Alex's shirt stands out more now.

The obvious error in the FD did NOT impact my enjoyment of the program at all. As Tanith said, they recovered so well and Alex was right there to keep her from falling. I think the program flows better now than it has before and I LOVE the addition of the more obvious "Fix You" lyrics. It brings the emotion to another level. I wish the lifts were more highlighted, but they are nicely incorporated. What a lovely program and lovely costumes and I'm sure it will be even better in Pyeongchang. It will be such a thrilling competition for the medals (not to mention what order the US teams will finish in). I can't wait! :)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to the Shibs for winning the Silver. With the mistake Gold for them was not to be.
Nationals is such a tough competition especially when you are defending. nerves tend to set in.

Loved both of their performances!

It is on to Pyeongchang for Shibs. The US has such very strong dance teams and anything is possible,
they are that good.

tzazu

Medalist
Congrats to the Shibs for winning the Silver. With the mistake Gold for them was not to be.
Nationals is such a tough competition especially when you are defending. nerves tend to set in.

It is on to Pyeongchang for Shibs. The US has such very strong dance teams and anything is possible,
they are that good.

:thumbsup:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

they are that good.

I feel somehow that winning a Silver medal - looking at the competitiveness and level of performances at Nationals - should be a leading notion for Maia and Alex (despite an obvious disappointment they have every right to feel) going forward. AND for a lot of people who are so quick to discredit them from the get-go and who can see only a 'losing' aspect of their Nationals experience...Firstly, top three was separated by minuscule of point - that's not even inside one level lost on a step sequence to be honest; this alone should make a focus more on how tightly separated all teams were, not what placements they've got. Yes, of course it is always the best to win - or maintaining the winning streak - but I do believe that Shibutanis clearly know that this was really their to lose and that it was very close, after all emotions toned town. Then - if any jitters have to be shaken out of their FD (SD is really a finished product that is selling so well that makes some people's argument funny to read...lol), better to do it now than in February at Olympic rink.

Again, regarding FD, I really cannot understand this constant one-note criticism (usually personally-inflicted) over this FD, then taken broader over Shibutanis unable to succeed because of brother/sister partnership - especially after some mishap in the program. I'd say that this FD is really a fruit and result of their success, no matter how people will twist it into their narrative - they are one of veeeery few teams who were not afraid to risk, step outside of their comfort zone and explore areas that are not used very often, or to follow more individually-crafted path regarding creative process. I do think that 'Paradise' FD has very universal appeal and uplifting message to carry out and it's a perfect vehicle to present at Olympics - it's different out there, mixing pop notion of Coldplay song(s) and movement. And it appears that - yet again! - lots of people are stuck with 'Fix You' program for Maia and Alex and are unable to move forward like they already did...

My only 'worry'/reservation over FD would be about eventual further tweaks in it musical/choreography-wise and inability to present the newest version of the program in competition - saying that, I do hope that they will soon find this 'optimum state' for the FD and practice it to the point of perfection like I know they can. I am also a bit not sold yet on middle part music change we saw at Nationals - I am not really sure that throwing 'Fix You' is a good idea, it somehow derailed my focus from the program a bit and messed with program's cohesion (but it's my impression, maybe it will grow on me further), and the transition back to 'Paradise' and twizzles part is just too harsh and abrupt I feel. I really love the beginning and the end of the program, the composition and build in it in these parts, just wish that the middle part would stay instrumental, with maybe guitar/piano addition to the violin arrangement. But either way - cannot wait to see the program at Olympics in all its glory!:cheer:

Cutesmile

Rinkside
Even though they are experimented they showed vulnerability at the two last events :( the pressure must be high. They work hard but at Olympics I hope they will enjoy the moment for themselves, it will directly reflets on the audience during the two performances, they will definitely shine. :yahoo: (easy to say I know ...)

Barb

Record Breaker
https://www.teamusa.org/~/link.aspx?_id=B9BC63E4B0C7435FA707BA0E349F9288&_z=z

It's not just the Shibs that are amazing at twizzling, turns out that Lily and Po are pretty darn good too :laugh:

I love it!! :love:. And congrats to Maia and Alex for another sponsor (Intel) https://www.instagram.com/p/BdvIo2hhBFg/?taken-by=maiashibutani

maiashibutani: Most of you guessed correctly! We are in Las Vegas at #CES2018! Excited to share that @alexshibutani and I are partnering with @Intel! #TeamIntel #ad #sponsor

mintx

On the Ice
Maia and Alex are great brand ambassadors for a few reasons. They have a huge social media following and a built in audience that they have carefully cultivated. They've been at the top of the sport internationally for years and show no signs of stopping. They are both very attractive. They are well spoken and nonpolitical.

musicfan80

Medalist
I am beyond jealous that the Shibs are at CES in Las Vegas. I’ve always wanted to attend and see all the cool technology and gadgets - but I think it’s almost impossible to get it unless you’re connected.

Maia and Alex are great brand ambassadors for a few reasons. They have a huge social media following and a built in audience that they have carefully cultivated. They've been at the top of the sport internationally for years and show no signs of stopping. They are both very attractive. They are well spoken and nonpolitical.

Honestly, out of everyone on this U.S. Olympic team, the Shibs are the only ones I’m not worried about their lives after skating. They have such a broad appeal - and yes, I think being nonpolitical helps, especially for a lot of Americans who may be sick and tired of everything turning into a political statement.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I am beyond jealous that the Shibs are at CES in Las Vegas. I’ve always wanted to attend and see all the cool technology and gadgets - but I think it’s almost impossible to get it unless you’re connected.

Honestly, out of everyone on this U.S. Olympic team, the Shibs are the only ones I’m not worried about their lives after skating. They have such a broad appeal - and yes, I think being nonpolitical helps, especially for a lot of Americans who may be sick and tired of everything turning into a political statement.

Alex and Maia are pretty low-key political. They've made statements or shown support of a few political things, but they're more broad-based sentiments for the most part like show support for marriage equality, no H8, talking about POC representation in television and film and sport, tweeting about the violence in Charlottesville, etc..

Kurisu

Rinkside
hello everyone! so i've been a fan ever since their fix you performance but i've only seriously started following them a few weeks ago. but my reason for commenting isn't for introducing myself since i am mainly a ghoster lol. what i'm here for his regarding some worries i have seen regarding the literal connection (blood) the shibsibs have. i see some concerns for their being siblings as an issue and i can't help but point out that it's not needed. among the shibsibs i follow another dancing siblings duo called les twins (who are twin brothers) and they have something that maia and alex have, which is a clear and open real love for each other as siblings. when i see interviews of les twins i see how they lovingly gaze at each other, and the same for the shibs.

this is what i don't get about the "obstacle" that i'm sure alex and maia have come across countless times. they're not only good and talented performers but they have a love and connection that is as powerful if not more than the adult "romantic" ones. with les twins, they mainly dance together but when they dance solo you can still see their dedication and complete love for each other they are not ashamed to show in public. there are even love songs they have danced to they are assumed to be for "romance" but in the end it's just a declaring of love, and they dance for each other in those songs which makes their bond so much more adorable and sweet. looking at them, you don't want to see anything more than this. you don't wonder what would happen if they were dancing with women. there are no "obstacles" or "limitations", in fact because they are siblings is something that is even more special than regular dance couples.

the same goes for alex and maia. my favourite performance of theirs is in 2015. right in front of us is shown their tender unspoken trust and love for each other. you can see their desire to be with each other even while they are dancing, and it's so beautiful. my second favourite is in 2009 when they snatch the bronze. i almost broke down crying. their tender delicate love for each other was so unashamedly shown i almost felt i was looking in on something too private for me to witness. this is a love enthralling to see, especially since so many couples heavily rely on romantic context.

i believe siblings, their bonds, relationships and plain interactions with each other is very overlooked in today's time. the shibsibs' bond is just as on par with any other couple, it's just in their special way. but because romantic love is the more "popular" love, i guess, it doesn't allow any other love to show itself correctly. i could have had my doubts beforehand, in alex and maia's '09 and '15 performance's prove just how far their love can go. and that's a huge way to go.