Mao Asada announces retirement | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada announces retirement

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Thanks for posting the video, synthesia. I remember now that you posted one of the videos that was a source for a couple of the messages I mentioned and thanks for the link to Jason's message to Mao.

Thank you for sharing all these links and your thoughts about Mao, gotoschool! I'm still going through them, even though this means I won't stop being incredibly emotional anytime soon. :sad4:

This comment has me a little concerned. Do you think Mao meant that she probably wouldn't do skating again if she had a choice or do you think this means Mao seems to have a negative view towards skating professionally or in exhibitions after she finishes with The Ice in 2017?

I remember her saying once (pretty sure it was during a post-competition interview at NHK 2013), if she wasn't skating she'd just want be Mao, which I took to mean she'd want to try out all the other possibilities of what she could be instead of a skater, naturally developing and realizing her unknown potential in other areas. From now on she'll be free to feel out many options simultaneously and find out what she connects with without the pressure of having to find sth. definitive or exclusive. I hope and feel that skating will always be part of her life in some way, because she still seems to genuinely love the sport. :)

Maybe she'll take a bit of time out/stay out of the public eye to recharge. She deserves to rest now and live to her heart's content for as long as she desires. :bow:

YES! With DAI! Can you imagine the steps...:jaw:

Yes! They have good on-ice chemistry and seem to be connected by a wonderful off-ice friendship as well (like that whole generation of Team Japan). This is what it looks like when they're performing steps in perfect unison :love:

Mao & Dai skating together at XOI 2014

Judging from the behind the scenes look they'd probably giggle themselves silly, if they were to regularly train together though. :laugh: And yes, the lack of difference in height would constitute a bit of a problem, but they're such a cute match. I second Dai's wish that they'll have many opportunities to collaborate in ice shows in the future.

anyanka

Record Breaker
You guys, I'm still sad about this. I know that objectively, I shouldn't be, and that I respect her decision, but I am still watching her old clips (yes including the Sochi SP disaster) because I realize that the shift and landscape in skating has truly changed. Anyone else feel this way?

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
You guys, I'm still sad about this. I know that objectively, I shouldn't be, and that I respect her decision, but I am still watching her old clips (yes including the Sochi SP disaster) because I realize that the shift and landscape in skating has truly changed. Anyone else feel this way?

I am also rewatching Mao programs / clips now!

I just finished Masquerade Waltz SP from 2010 Worlds.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
given that this is not and won´t be real, I can accept that Maia and Alex split up, Alex somehow get japanese citizen and skate with Mao :yay:
Paul and Piper split up and Paul skate with Maia :hap57:.

But what happens with Piper?! :laugh:

nguyhm

On the Ice
oh yes, that small detail... I guess Jeremy A. decides come back and try ice dance :yes:
Or Patrick will switch to ice dance. They won't even have to sit out and wait for a year to compete (or do they?)

skatenewbie

Medalist
It was very comforting reading all this wonderful things about her. She is my favorite skater ever and to be honest, while I understand her decision and think it is the right one, I still feel like she always got the short side of the stick in this sport. Just look how the ladies were scored at this last World championships and how lenient the caller was despite some very obvious UR's (like Karen Chen's combo), and remember Mao got credit for just 1 out of 3 perfect 3A at Worlds 2010 (back then, an UR was basically a downgrade point wise - so she got credit for a 2A with negative GOE for perfectly executed 3As). And now, just look on how Medvedeva and Pogo get full credit for their flutz and, respectively, lip, while Mao has been (rightfully so) always called. But Mao had to basically rework her jump technique in order to be competitive.
It seems unfair that after years of hard work, after she become a lovely all around skater, she still got crap PCS and overly scrutinized for UR's while the youngsters prodigies are showered with huge PCS and lenient calls. I remember reading a comment during Worlds, when someone said regarding Carolina's SP that if Mao skated the same program, she would have been most likely buried in the standings. And it is true.
Add to all the above the injury and age, and the realization that the Olympic gold will never happen for her, her decision was correct. I just feel that the current judging system played a big part in this decision. And it is a shame that the sport she loved so much is the one who basically pushed her into retirement. I don't know if we will see in the near future a skater like her, probably not. We are in the era of full back-loading and tano-ing jumps, with rushed movements and bad choreography who get huge PCS based exclusively on TES merit (this was confirmed by the results of Jr Worlds, where a clean Alina comfortably won over a clean Marin, both girls being virtually tied on PCS).
No room for a skater like Mao I am afraid in the current judging system. Or at least not at the top.
I hope she will be at peace with her decision and continue to be involved in this sport, one way or another.

yeah it is so sad. idk what ISU have against her but she almost ALWAYS underscored. in both TES and PCS....Carolina always have high PCS even when she performs bad with fall etc, but even Mao when clean get less PCS. Also so true for her 3A, they often clean but called as UR, and some of her 3F/3Lo/2Lo (both as solo jump/combination). She shouldve scored 145 easily in her peak :(. her musicality and StSq was one of the best ive ever seen, so much graceness, elegant but fierce and powerful! her skating won't be forgotten

coppertop1

On the Ice
I'm sad to hear she's retiring again but not entirely surprised. It would be tough for her to make the Olympics with so many younger skaters. She's been surpassed and isn't in her prime anymore. That said, she'll always be a legend.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #7 in World Standings!
Record Breaker

Yes, me too. I have some favorites in the current ladies field, but so far none have enchanted me the way Mao did. :[

Watching Mao at the press conference, her smile, her eyes...she had such a peaceful "glow" about her. I feel like she's transcended some kind of burden, no longer worrying about some future skating goal, or her injuries, or chasing anything. There's a new lightness about her. I think she will begin to enjoy life even more from this point on :yes:

Such beautiful words. And so very true. :cry:

asp11

Just a dedicated fan - not a skater
On the Ice
I don't know if this has been posted or not, but here is Mao's press conference. I get super emotional during the last part when Mao starts crying and turns around a couple of times to compose herself. Painfully beautiful and so genuine and noble . Thanks to rosewood for posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgBGFoVMuO4&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for sharing! I understand it's a huge ask, but would anyone be willing to translate? I (and others, I'm sure) would love to know what she's sayng.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
What a wonderful tribute BUT I wish it wasn't done so much as a death tribute. This is really the celebrating of great skating and moving towards a new chapter and continuation of the Mao Asada journey.

I am sad she went out with with a wimper having had such a rough Japanese nationals. but she gave it her best. She always will be a great icon for skating fans worldwide. She may have been a bit unluck as had she been borne a year earlier we probably would have seen her with an olympic gold but what could have been, should have been is all a memory. She has such a strong allegiance she will always be remembered in the skating sense with great fondness and positive wishes for the future.

gotoschool

Medalist
Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
I don't know if these have been posted, so I am including these comments about Mao's retirement from Evgenia Plushenko, Marin Honda and Evgenia Medvedeva:

Evgeni Plushenko: Mao, I love you. Mao, you are a wonderful player. how to put it, you made a big contribution to figure skating. With great jumps, spins, expressive power. You pushed skating ahead. I think your decision was very difficult, but go ahead without being distracted. Return to your new goal and make your next dream come true. A new life has just begun.

Here is an article in which Plusenko gives Mao advice. I will let people translate for themselves but his suggestion was a bit surprising. Hopefully, the article is accurate.
https://news.goo.ne.jp/article/sponichi/sports/sponichi-spngoo-20170415-0062.html

Marin Honda said something like skaters her age longed to skate like Mao and she was depressed and couldn't sleep the night she heard Mao retired.

Evgenia Medvedeva: Here is a video with Evgeni Medvedeva's comments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZT8O8sPV0A

Evgenia said the world of figure skating will miss Mao Asada a lot. It's a pity that she finished her career. Mao is a legendary skater and a role model.

in her second statement at the rink: I would like to thank Mao for inspiring all the figure-skaters of our generation. You helped many of us a lot and gave us an example of a strong personality and confidence. Thank you for inspiring us.

You can click the CC subtitle box to get the translation.

Last edited:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Nikkei Asian Review published an article on Mao yesterday:

Skater Mao Asada's retirement highlights pressure on Japan's sports stars

I don't think the piece was particularly well written and am troubled by passages such as the following:
Her failure to win gold generated criticism in some quarters as did her sometimes saccharine and "cutesy" routines. While her South Korean arch rival Kim Yuna added maturity, elegance and some sex appeal to her performances, Asada stayed with music and choreography seemingly designed to please fourth-grade girls. "Hello Kitty" on ice, as you might call it. That was why some of her critics said that Kim was able to win an Olympic gold medal at Vancouver in 2010, while Asada did not.

Professionally, however, Asada's biggest problem as a skater was inconsistency. She was brilliant one day, mediocre the next. She could match Kim when she was performing well. But her uneven performance was perhaps due to unrealistic expectations placed on her by the Japanese public, as she was one of the country's few internationally famous sports stars.

Seriously? :confused2:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Bells of Moscow.... designed to appeal to 4th grade girls? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'd attribute her uneven performances more to striving for perfection, to aim for a performance that nobody else could do, than the unrealistic expectations placed on her by others.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Seriously? :confused2:[/QUOTE]

Looking at the writer's credentials, I would not take it too seriously from a FS point of view. The article is more social commentary and typical "the quirks of Japanese society as seen from a foreigner's perspective" piece than a knowledgeable article on FS and skaters.