Mao Asada | Page 190 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

yhmafan

Medalist
Yes, I agree in fact I posted comments below the video saying how erroneous and insulting it was and all the other times I can remember that he did the same thing. I also had two comments removed and I know person who had their comments removed and two of us are Americans. It continues to show the heavy bias and the withholding and censorship characteristic of the ISU and those who report on and cover the competitions. I have also read articles in Japanese translation that were quite harsh on Mao. I wonder when the next time these journalists apparently writing for Japan hope to find a 3 time women Worlds champion (would have been 4 times if the value of the triple axel were the same as it is today), 4 time Grand Prix Final Champion with the most consistent landing of the triple axel in history for women including 3 times in one Olympics with a silver medal and 4 times in 2 Olympics, and the only women recently to even attempt the triple flip and loop professionally (since Miki Ando) in addition to doing the triple flip / double loop / double loop tano, the best spirals and step sequences, a one handed Biellmann spin extended sit spin with her hands touching the ends of her skates, and abilities in dance and elegant flexibility that have been compared to the equivalent of a prima ballerina by professional dance instructors especially her frontal extension. And on top of it all the power to move people so deeply emotionally as indicated so powerfully in her Sochi LP which should have been a world record score but really is so much more in addition to the emotionally intensity of her Madame Butterfly LP at Worlds after competing for so many years and only training at half intensity for a month in preparation because of her knee injury which has grown worse since then. instead, they feel it is more honorable and constructive (rather destructive) to ridicule her when she has already done all this and has the guts to compete with a left knee injury without complaining, which conveniently isn't even mentioned in Gallagher's hatchet job.

The fact that the skating "expert" says Mao would finish between 4th and 10th at worlds with or without a triple axel and skating clean shows how much these kinds of people have placements "fixed" in their minds without even seeing the other skaters skate. I think she should win comfortably in this circumstance with the triple axel.

Many consider it as “anti” Japan and there are barely trustworthy articles in it, not only about figure skating no wonder they’re deleting those comments that they don’t want to.

Since Mao has tried to pushing boundaries of the sport her whole career. I remember some top skaters referred to that “we need to know how difficult to do triple axel for a lady skater, especially to land 3A combination in particular.” as Joannie said something like that, I always feel top skaters must know the things better each other.

Also for her stingy PCS, that has been said that because she skated early that’s why ..or she needs more achievements she is still young etc etc, even when she delivered the skate of her life. Surprisingly, she got pcs 70+ was only once at the world 2014 with 8 triples program when people considered that she would retire soon at that time. (correct me if I am wrong.)
But seeing the current field has thrown it to younger ones like a candy doesn’t make sense.

In all, I think that even if scoring system can’t do justice to her true value, Mao’s performances themselves still could tell it all.

gotoschool

Medalist
This is one of my favorite galleries for lovely Mao photos from 2007-2010. I know I have posted it before, but it is also one of the hardest to find because the google search engine never seems to find it, so I am re or "three" posting it so as not lose it.

http://figuregallery.tistory.com/entry/Mao-Asada-Masquerade-Medalist-on-Ice

Here are a lot more links to Mao photos by using the search engine for the site: http://figuregallery.tistory.com/search/Mao Asada

Hint on how to save. right click on the small picture and you can save it and the photo is still at the full resolution after you download.

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
Thanks to rosewood for providing a site with such a detailed description of the 4 stages in what is likely Mao's condition: jumper's knee or patellar tendinitis.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/jumpers_knee#3

It is unknown where Mao is in the four stages but the poster rosewood has suggested that Mao is in stage 2.

It is heartbreaking that both Mao and Rika Kihira are suffering from injuries due to their brave commitment to do the triple axel. Rika gave my favorite junior performances this season. Like Mao, I hope she is able to recover quickly. I admire the great risk they take to display such incredible athleticism and beauty.

As far as Coach Sato's comments about Mao's condition is concerned, I am a bit confused. First of all, in an earlier post of rosewood's translation of his comments he said,

Mao Asada's pain in her left knee: Her coach stated "she's been unable to do intensive training since we are afraid."
Mao in this season has been forced to do careful adjustments due to chronic pain she's been struggling with since last season.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...hread-3-for-the-love-of-skating.99143/page-11 308

And then in the latest comments rosewood translated, Coach Sato says it's not a condition to be called an injury but they limit her training within the range of 60-70 percent of her normal level and it's due to avoiding a fatal injury.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...hread-3-for-the-love-of-skating.99143/page-12 post 332

definition chronic- Relating to an illness or medical condition that is characterized by long duration or frequent recurrence.

A medical condition is defined as any illness, injury, or disease

So if what Mao has is not an injury, is it a condition that is basically as severe as an injury or the result of an injury since it causes frequent and long-term pain like tendinitis?

Perhaps the reason Mr. Sato said Mao's impaired condition isn't an injury is do to this definition of patellar tendinitis or jumper's knee:

Jumper's knee (patellar tendinopathy, patellar tendinosis, patellar tendinitis) commonly occurs in athletes who are involved in jumping sports such as basketball and volleyball. Patients report anterior knee pain, often with an aching quality. The symptom onset is insidious. Rarely is a discrete injury described. Maybe it is more like inflammation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patellar_tendinitis

For me to understand better, I thought of arthritis which seems like it would be another type of insidious pain that isn't an injury but it afflicts the joints instead of the tendons.

As far as Mao being in stage II of jumper's knee, I found this information from the link rosewood gave: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/jumpers_knee#3

The pain may interfere with sleep. At this point, activities that cause increased loading of the patellar tendon (for example, running or jumping) should be avoided.

To me this sounds quite serious because it sounds like jumping (or running) should not be attempted in this stage and if sleep is affected that would also have a negative effect on the mental state of the affected athlete. This seems to contradict the statement that in stage 2 an athlete can still perform satisfactorily. However, perhaps the statement is referring to sports that don't involve a lot jumping unlike figure skating. I can only imagine that not being able to run would greatly decrease the endurance as well in this stage. Does this mean that Mao must avoid any jumping when the inflammation reaches this stage? Besides endurance, perhaps the reason Mao jumps deteriorate in her LP is that she has to jump several days back to back including practice and the LP is on the last day when her inflammation is the worst.

Of course, all of this is just an educated guess based on limited information.

As I believe I mentioned before, this is all new to me- the type of injury- jumper's knee- and the fact that it is not discussed openly by announcers as it is in the sports I used to follow closely like baseball and football even when it is reported by the coach. I can understand Russian alright- not great and not every word- and one of the comments by Tarasova that stuck with me is that she said she was offended by Mao's LP jump performance at Trophy de France, which I thought was very inappropriate. This is different than the comment I cited earlier by Tarasova about her criticism of Mao's "take it easy" jumping selection in her SP performance. Tarasova was almost demanding that Mao do the triple axel while being completely oblivious to her injury.

I have presented my views on this before and I don't mean to single out Tarasova because eurosport has made similar comments, but I hope citing such comments will help people see why I am so critical of the coverage Mao has received and why I think the media "black out" in covering her injury during her performances ties in with her underscoring.

I have immense admiration for Mao's commitment to giving performances in such an impaired condition in the midst of what I think is a lot of harsh and uninformed criticism, though I still wish she wouldn't compete in such a condition and focus on treatment and recuperation and that Mr. Sato should (and should have taken) a more active role in preventing Mao from competing to focus on healing and recuperation, with the possibility of surgery, that would at last allow a return to intensive training and give Mao an ideal in her mind that she could hunger to strive for. Mao's competing in an impaired condition now while being obviously underscored reminds me of a brave solider going into a battle injured to fight with honor and silent acceptance no matter the final outcome or the odds stacked against them. If surgery is not being considered for Mao and she and Mr. Sato are still intent on her competing, I hope there is some kind of treatment like the cortisone shot mentioned under stage 2 to help relieve Mao's pain during the most important competitions, since this can't be administered that often. I remember having a slip disk in my back which rendered me almost an invalid for several weeks and the cortisone shot was the only thing that took the pain away and "unlocked" my back so I cold start moving again, I thought it was almost miraculous at the time, though in the long run it still required back surgery. I hope a cortisone shot is allowed and that it can have the same affect in freeing up movement and alleviating pain in Mao's left knee, or if not this I hope there is some other great treatment that can give Mao, the beautiful angel, her wings back so she can fly high again.

Last edited:

yhmafan

Medalist
I wonder if coach Sato is really able to grasp the condition and situation of her injury or illness or whatever properly.
Not bashing on him but seeing that Mao has really suffered most of the time since she came back to competition.
He is a good coach according to some her achievements indeed but at least in my eyes, at this point, he wasn’t able to control his student’s stability in the condition.

It’s not only his fault though. I think that it’s mainly her fed’s fault.

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
I happened to find it on twitter. Who said it at COC16 is that Maxim Trankov from Russia? Since Mao didn’t do competition at there.
For what reason did he say it at COC :)

'I cheer for Mao, she's like a princess in figure skating. We won the JWC together, I in pairs, she in ladies.'

Mao and Maxim both won Junior Worlds in 2005 and Maxim is from Russia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_World_Junior_Figure_Skating_Championships
I know he announced for Mao last year at Cup of China so maybe he was remembering back to then. Besides that, they both made a comeback the same year, they both skated at Ice Legends this year, and now he is not competing but Mao still is, so maybe he really identifies with her since she is one of the last ones left who started skating when he did and since they have probably met and talked to each other recently at least at Ice Legends. I know that Maxim has also been really impressed with Mao's skating before.

Besides being a great pairs skater, Maxim gave by far my favorite commentary of Mao's Sochi LP. It was actually my favorite ever performance and favorite every commentary together. he just gushed with high praise for Mao and I will always admire him for his generosity and honesty especially given where and when he made these comments. I am just glad that I can understand enough Russian to appreciate it, though I wish I could understand more. I met Maxim at Ice Legends where I met Mao and to be honest I think I made a fool of myself because I got emotional talking about his commentary and Mao's skating.

Last edited:

yhmafan

Medalist
Mao and Maxim both won Junior Worlds in 2005 and Maxim is from Russia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_World_Junior_Figure_Skating_Championships
I know he announced for Mao last year at Cup of China so maybe he was remembering back to then. Besides that, they both made a comeback the same year, they both skated at Ice Legends this year, and now he is not competing but Mao still is, so maybe he really identifies with her since she is one of the last ones left who started skating when he did and since they have probably met and talked to each other recently at least at Ice Legends. I know that Maxim has also been really impressed with Mao's skating before.

Besides being a great pairs skater, Maxim gave by far my favorite commentary of Mao's Sochi LP. It was actually my favorite ever performance and favorite every commentary together. he just gushed with high praise for Mao and I will always admire him for his generosity and honesty especially given where and when he made these comments. I am just glad that I can understand enough Russian to appreciate it, though I wish I could understand more. I met Maxim at Ice Legends where I met Mao and to be honest I think I made a fool of myself because I got emotional talking about his commentary and Mao's skating.

That makes sense a lot. Thanks gotoschool for the explanation. :bow:

gotoschool

Medalist
Here is a compilation CM of charming and beautiful Mao.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8DzmIn9GGQ

I hope that with Mao's and Rika Kihara's injuries and the harmful impact it has on jumping in their performances coaches will finally realize how serious the injury of jumper's knee really is and seek some kind of long-term treatment that addresses the issue and realize the risks to self confidence in allowing their skaters to compete in such an impaired condition, though it is still so lovely to watch Mao skate even with just doubles and such spectacular step sequences, spins, elegance and skating skills . I will always be there for Mao no matter how much she is affected by her injuries but I hope she realizes that she has nothing left to prove after landing the triple axel more than any other woman and giving so many spectacular performances which have so often not been rewarded with the scores she deserved. I hope she only skates for herself and only if she really wants to. She has given far more than enough to me already. But more than anything, I hope for a quick recovery and great performances at Nationals because she deserves it, though again I hope she chooses to try and recover. I just want Mao to be happy and I hope Rika can recover and be happy too. There has never been a performer whose smiles, tears, sadness and joy moved my emotions as much as Mao.

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
Here is a compilation CM of charming and beautiful Mao.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8DzmIn9GGQ

I hope that with Mao's and Rika Kihara's injuries and the harmful impact it has on jumping in their performances coaches will finally realize how serious the injury of jumper's knee really is and seek some kind of long-term treatment that addresses the issue and realize the risks to self confidence in allowing their skaters to compete in such an impaired condition. I will always be there for Mao no matter how much she is affected by her injuries but I hope she realizes that she has nothing left to prove after landing the triple axel more than any other woman and giving so many spectacular performances which have so often not been rewarded with the scores she deserved. I hope she only skates for herself and only if she really wants to. She has given far more than enough to me already. But more than anything, I hope for a quick recovery and great performances at Nationals because she deserves it. I just want Mao to be happy and I hope Rika can recover and be happy too. There has never been a performer whose smiles, tears, sadness and joy moved my emotions as much as Mao.

I adore her but yes, I want her recovery soon, I hope she rest enough even if she needs to skip the rest of the season. But God, I miss her type of skating :sad21:, so unique and graceful, in my opinion the only skater near to her elegance and subtil expression is Satoko, I am glad she will be at GPF.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
i am so sad reading about Mao's chronic condition :sad21: it sounds very serious as well. Not that I doubted she had an injury but that it is chronic and handicaps her so much even in daily life really breaks my heart.

gotoschool

Medalist
I am embarrassed and amazed to say how emotional I got watching Mao's 2008 4CC's Fantasie Impromptu performance last night after not seeing it for a while. Weepingly beautiful. That may be an oxymoron to admit how embarrassed I am, but hasn't it been said how much Mao helps people release emotions they find it hard to reveal unlocking the door to that which has long been concealed? Her performance of this at the Grand Prix Final 2007 is just as great but I can't find a video with this high a quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp5aoeVYcHg

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
Does anyone remember Mao wearing this costume? I hear it's Mai's costume and Mao borrowed it from her. It suits her anyway :2thumbs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGDcct5Zcjo

and here is a photo of Mai and Jason at NHK.

One of the most beautiful triple flip and loops ever and the step sequences, spiral sequences, spins and expression are just exquisite with transcendent beauty. It compliments the magnificence of Fantasie Impromptu from the same season so well.

yhmafan

Medalist
I am embarrassed and amazed to say how emotional I got watching Mao's 2008 4CC's Fantasie Impromptu performance last night after not seeing it for a while. Weepingly beautiful. That may be an oxymoron to admit how embarrassed I am, but hasn't it been said how much Mao helps people release emotions they find it hard to reveal unlocking the door to that which has long been concealed? Her performance of this at the Grand Prix Final 2007 is just as great but I can't find a video with this high a quality.

The epitome of grace on the ice.

By the way, is there the video of English sub version somewhere?

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

This is a beautiful program . I am very partial to Chopin which makes me love it even more -- especially the middle "I'm Always Chasing Rainbows" part.

gotoschool

Medalist
Here is video a little short of 2 minutes of Mao and Mai's amazing new CM for Stona medicine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkcHPF_DoXM&feature=youtu.be

Good to see that Mao was happy and laughing while making the video. http://www.stona.jp/mov/stona_making_0928_LIGHT.mp4

Here is video a little short of 2 minutes of Mao and Mai's amazing new CM for Stona medicine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkcH...ature=youtu.be

Good to see that Mao was happy and laughing while making the video. http://www.stona.jp/mov/stona_making_0928_LIGHT.mp4

I found the article first and liked it so I am including a brief synopsis from google translate: Mao has made a new CM for Stona medicine in which a giant Mao bigger than a skyscraper portraying good medicine chases a giant Mai portraying the flu or cold through throughout Japan. The article says many different places in Japan are shown in the video to show how the virus spreads across the country as Mao portraying Stona medicine chases her sister as the cold and flu across Japan form Okinawa, to Beach Boulevard Park in Hokkaido, running at highway speeds with landmarks in all 47 prefectures of Japan, and going through the side of Mt. Aso, Shikoku, Honshu-Shikoku bridge, and ZAO Lake Biwa water and climaxing with a battle in Tokyo. It appears that it lasts for 120 seconds.

http://zasshi.news.yahoo.co.jp/article?a=20161130-00000002-tvfan-ent

Though I would still like Mao to seek a long term and lasting treatment for her chronic left knee pain, If she does decide to compete at Nationals, I hope Mai could help by being close to Mao to help her psychologically though that can't take the physical pain away. I just remember how much power Mao drew from Mai and the transformation in confidence from her SP to the stunning magnificence of her Madame Butterfly performance in the Worlds LP 2016 which transcended scores. Mao also drew a lot of inspiration from Mai at Nationals in making a really nice comeback in her emotional LP.

Last edited: