Marissa Castelli & Mervin Tran | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Marissa Castelli & Mervin Tran

Barb

Record Breaker
US folks (or people who are knowledgeable about how US works): 'permanent resident' is the same thing as having your 'green card', right?

How difficult/straightforward it is to go from permanent resident status to actually becoming US citizen (if you're not married to a citizen and you don't have family in the US or anything)?

I don´t really know, but I guess it is easier if you have a really good job/if you are highly qualified in your professional field.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
US folks (or people who are knowledgeable about how US works): 'permanent resident' is the same thing as having your 'green card', right?

How difficult/straightforward it is to go from permanent resident status to actually becoming US citizen (if you're not married to a citizen and you don't have family in the US or anything
)?

I think it's difficult and the rules are really wonky. An acquaintance of mine married a lady from Norway, and they wouldn't let her stay in the U.S., even though she is married to an American man. After X amount of time, she had to return to Norway. They finally gave up and are now living in Norway.

nimi

Medalist
^^Whoah. :slink:

I just read on another forum that usually it's 5 years after getting the permanent resident status that you can apply for the citizenship... :eek:hwell:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
^^Whoah. :slink:

I just read on another forum that usually it's 5 years after getting the permanent resident status that you can apply for the citizenship... :eek:hwell:

And you have to live in the US for most of that time.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:sad4: :eeking: :mad: :curse: Darn. This doesn't sound too promising. Come on USFSA, can't we get a special dispensation for Mervin.

slider11

Medalist
I know right!
I just hope they will put it all together.

TONS of potential! Just need to get those side by side jumps in place or at least not double them AND I'd like to see a little more emotion on the ice. This is powerful music!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:sad4: :eeking: :mad: :curse: Darn. This doesn't sound too promising. Come on USFSA, can't we get a special dispensation for Mervin.

It isn't up to USFSA. It took an Act of Congress to get Tanith Belbin's citizenship through in time for 2006 Olympics ... and it took a powerful Senator, Carl Levin, to push that through. Tanith had lived in Michigan for well more than 5 years and had done everything right applying for citizenship.

I think it's difficult and the rules are really wonky. An acquaintance of mine married a lady from Norway, and they wouldn't let her stay in the U.S., even though she is married to an American man. After X amount of time, she had to return to Norway. They finally gave up and are now living in Norway.

That is sad. Our immigration policy has become far too wrapped up in political rhetoric that has no basis in reality.

But to bring it back to Mervin, my personal opinion is that he and Marissa want to be world-class skaters and be sent to worlds & 4cc, but Olympics isn't their highest priority. If it were, he'd surely have been living in USA before now, part or full time, since 5 years is minimum for citizenship.

That said, I'm very happy with them for their FS. It's a big step for neither one to fall on a jump in any one program. I can't remember the last time that happened.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Please, practice SBS jumps LOTS during the next 10 days! :luv17:

slider11

Medalist
This is fantastic news! They are right on the edge of a breakthrough! I hope this is the time!! They make such a good team and I think are the USA's best hope for the future.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
This is fantastic news! They are right on the edge of a breakthrough! I hope this is the time!! They make such a good team and I think are the USA's best hope for the future.

They're both 27 years old. That's not old for pairs, but it isn't that young either. But then, Tim LeDuc is also 27. And Chris Knierem is 30.

sunn1ly

On the Ice
‘We’re not going to be able to be sent to the Olympics, but they’re going to want to send us.’”
Hopefully, our enjoyment will bring you enjoyment,” said Castelli. “That’s our main thing.”
“We decided that this year is about us. We’re skating for us, not skating to please anyone.
We’re not done yet. And that’s why we’re still going strong. We came back, and we’ve worked on a lot of things since Nationals.”

Go Marissa and Mervin.
I am really disappointed in the US federation . When they were second they were not sent to any event after that and were selected for just one GP. And now some scores will not bring them down.
And they are my fave US couple becuase they are fighters and have great skate not just elements.

slider11

Medalist
‘We’re not going to be able to be sent to the Olympics, but they’re going to want to send us.’”
Hopefully, our enjoyment will bring you enjoyment,” said Castelli. “That’s our main thing.”
“We decided that this year is about us. We’re skating for us, not skating to please anyone.
We’re not done yet. And that’s why we’re still going strong. We came back, and we’ve worked on a lot of things since Nationals.”

Go Marissa and Mervin.
I am really disappointed in the US federation . When they were second they were not sent to any event after that and were selected for just one GP. And now some scores will not bring them down.
And they are my fave US couple becuase they are fighters and have great skate not just elements.

I love Marissa and Mervin, too. But they need to get those jumps consistent. Their lifts, transitions and usually, throws are fantastic. I love how they relate on the ice. Stay strong and stay together!

slider11

Medalist
I read that Marissa and Mervin said they'd like to spend more time with Raf. Fix those jumps!

reneerose

Final Flight
Yes the SBS jumps also need more improvement for them. I LOVED Marissa's "solo" death spiral in the FP today. Their choreography is intricate unique and creative.