Mary Beth Marley updates | Golden Skate

Mary Beth Marley updates

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Mary Beth Marley updates (Jun 30)

From The Skating Lesson's Facebook page:
We had such an insightful and brave conversation with 2012 National pair silver medalist Mary Beth Marley. She shared with us the reason behind her sudden departure from the sport last summer and her plans for the future. Such a wise young woman.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...9148114540497.20301947.281547475300561&type=1
TSL has not yet posted the interview itself.

@mbmarley19
So happy i did the interview for @SkatingLesson I was feel so good about it and i hope that you all enjoy and listen to it
1:31 PM - 30 Jun 13
https://twitter.com/mbmarley19/status/351437795883098113

And in answer to a Twitter question as to whether she still is skating, Marley responded, ... "i am in a way and keeping all my doors opens and coaching a lot."

gmyers

Record Breaker
Can't wait! She vanished suddenly without warning and gave it all up like being national champion and Olympians

ice coverage

Record Breaker
In other threads, I have been reading various criticisms of The Skating Lesson.
I don't have a dog in that hunt, but the tweet below seems to indicate that Team Marley actively wanted to give her first (and maybe only, for all we know?) post-retirement interview to TSL. Interesting.
And BTW, the interview will be posted later today, Jul 9.

@SkatingLesson
Tomorrow, we are excited to release a very special episode of TSL with @mbmarley19 . We were honored to be approached to share her story
4:12 PM - 8 Jul 13 (GMT-07:00)
https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson/status/354377395375050752

aftertherain

Record Breaker
In other threads, I have been reading various criticisms of The Skating Lesson .

Personally, I really like The Skating Lesson podcasts. They're pretty new, so of course they've got some kinks to work out--and their snark isn't for everyone. But all in all, they seem like they do plan and prepare adequately and accordingly for every interview/video they post.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I really like The Skating Lesson too. The interviews are great, and I like This & That. Sometimes, yes, they're a little too gossipy and snarky. But I like that they're opinionated, that's the whole point of watching it. My only issue is, I want them to keep the focus on skating and not on themselves. I'm not watching to joke about Dave's tank tops or when he met Michael Buckley.

But I actually find some of the gossip a bit useful. The figure skating world is small, and yes, the interpersonal stuff that happens affects skaters. How can it not? Let's say two skaters are in a serious relationship and then they break up. That is significant for them personally, and could potentially affect an entire season's performances. Likewise, if a skater is having tension with a coach. To pretend such things don't matter is putting your head in the sand. So I don't mind that Jenny & Dave talk about it.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I really like The Skating Lesson too. The interviews are great, and I like This & That. Sometimes, yes, they're a little too gossipy and snarky. But I like that they're opinionated, that's the whole point of watching it. My only issue is, I want them to keep the focus on skating and not on themselves. I'm not watching to joke about Dave's tank tops or when he met Michael Buckley.

But I actually find some of the gossip a bit useful. The figure skating world is small, and yes, the interpersonal stuff that happens affects skaters. How can it not? Let's say two skaters are in a serious relationship and then they break up. That is significant for them personally, and could potentially affect an entire season's performances. Likewise, if a skater is having tension with a coach. To pretend such things don't matter is putting your head in the sand. So I don't mind that Jenny & Dave talk about it.
Completely agree! :yes:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I've got mixed feelings about TSL. I will give them this: they have great interviews. A lot of insight and questions asked that you wouldn't get from the mainstream press. So they're bringing something unique to the table in that regard and I appreciate that.

That said- I can't get through more than a couple minutes of their non-interview shows because of all the unnecessary snark and cattiness. Before long I stopped watching completely. If they followed more of a "news show" style format or even a "pre-game show" style format with MEANINGFUL analysis, that would be fine. But I guess I'm not sure they've found their identity yet. What kind of show do they want to be? Unfortunately it comes across more as a "gossip" or even "tabloid" production to me which is too bad...Gossip in and of itself isn't necessarily bad. But it's a fine line you walk and I feel the show repeatedly crosses it. Very uncomfortable to me as a viewer.

It kinda sucks because I do want the show to be successful, but only if it finds its identity and gains more credibility. Whether it's a new format, new attitude, or perhaps even a new co-host for Jenny Kirk, something needs to change or I'm not sure if the show can survive in the long-term...

clairecloutier

Final Flight
You're right, R.D.--the show has to remain somewhat professional, or people will stop watching. I think it can work in its current format. But they do need to keep the focus on the skating. I think Dave has a lot of great stuff to say, so I wouldn't replace him, but just tell him to stay focused and don't go too far. (Oh, and I'd personally like it if they drop the gymnastics commentary. Just because you love skating doesn't mean you're a gymnastics fan. Maybe I speak just for myself.)

tulosai

Record Breaker
As someone who is still irrationally upset about her split from Rocknee (not at her, just the situation) I am looking forward to the interview.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wow, I didn't even know about the gymnastics commentary...aren't they called The SKATING Lesson? That's not surprising though given Dave Lease's background as a gymnastics blogger under his "Aunt Joyce" pseud. Still, they need to stick to skating.

But they aren't the only offenders. On USFS' twitter account, gymnast Aly Raisman was frequently promoted during her DWTS stint. I don't follow gymnastics nor care about it outside of the Olympics (and Oly Trials), so...I couldn't care less.

vera01

Final Flight
Wow, I didn't even know about the gymnastics commentary...aren't they called The SKATING Lesson? That's not surprising though given Dave Lease's background as a gymnastics blogger under his "Aunt Joyce" pseud. Still, they need to stick to skating.

But they aren't the only offenders. On USFS' twitter account, gymnast Aly Raisman was frequently promoted during her DWTS stint. I don't follow gymnastics nor care about it outside of the Olympics (and Oly Trials), so...I couldn't care less.

USFS promoted an artistic gymnast?! I've seen few skaters(like Gracie) cheering for Aly, but I'm surprised that USFS did that.

Maybe because it's an off-season..? After all, although there were American skaters involved here, they have been doing Blackhawks vs Bruins last few weeks.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I think that had a lot to do with the fact that Aly did the whole Gynamstics and Skating Spectacular thing...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I've got mixed feelings about TSL. I will give them this: they have great interviews. A lot of insight and questions asked that you wouldn't get from the mainstream press. So they're bringing something unique to the table in that regard and I appreciate that.

... Whether it's a new format, new attitude, or perhaps even a new co-host for Jenny Kirk, something needs to change or I'm not sure if the show can survive in the long-term...

I too have mixed feelings about TSL. On the positive side, they are getting access to skaters who otherwise have been media-shy of late. Marley's interview would be a good example; Czisny's is another, I would say.

As I mentioned in the GS thread for TSL's interview with Rippon, TSL discussed its inner workings in a long FSU post on July 5.
It says (among many other things) that Dave Lease is the one who had the original idea of starting the podcasts ... so I wouldn't hold my breath for a new co-host for Jenny Kirk.

gmyers

Record Breaker
There really Is no value in spending 5 minutes discussing how any skater talks! Like this skater does an accent in interviews! Yeah?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I too have mixed feelings about TSL. On the positive side, they are getting access to skaters who otherwise have been media-shy of late. Marley's interview would be a good example; Czisny's is another, I would say.

As I mentioned in the GS thread for TSL's interview with Rippon, TSL discussed its inner workings in a long FSU post on July 5.
It says (among many other things) that Dave Lease is the one who had the original idea of starting the podcasts ... so I wouldn't hold my breath for a new co-host for Jenny Kirk.

I think Dave Lease is just fine as her co-host. He's slightly toned down the snark and cattiness from what you guys used to see in his blog. And seriously, guys, Jenny Kirk is just as snarky as he is. From what I've seen on Facebook, their followers seem to (generally) enjoy what they're doing as well.

So, I somewhat agree with you guys. Professionalism in interviews is totally a must, and I think they've done a good job of that in the ones they've conducted so far.

As to their "This & That" segment, I don't care if they get gossip-y, because there is just so much you can say about the progress of skating/skaters every week. I like their snark and even when they get all over-the-top (though the one with Michael Buckley talking about Evan this week was borderline for me, even if I'm not a fan of Evan. But the pair have said many positive things about Evan in the past as well). Because, let's not sugar-coat it, those segments are basically mostly off-season gossip anyway that forum moderators don't usually encourage talk of. Perhaps the format will change when the Olympic season starts and "This & That" will start becoming like their "event recap" episodes.

In interviews, it's a completely different story--though, I wouldn't blame them for injecting some humor or some snark. They have mentioned in the past that they are concerned about skaters giving very "pageant-y" and generic answers, and if that's what it takes for skaters to loosen up and feel more comfortable, I say go for the little bit of humor. I couldn't sit and listen to an hour of boring and bland answers. Could you?

But yes, the talk of gymnastics in The Skating Lesson is a big question mark for me.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
LINKS to TSL's two videos with Mary Beth Marley (published on Jul 9):

(1) The interview is a long one: 1:08:45 (not a typo).

(2) TSL: A Day in the Life of Mary Beth Marley (only 3:00)​
A look into a day in the life of Mary Beth Marley as she continues her recovery and embarks on a return to the sport.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1HIaorPioc

I have not started viewing them yet.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If TSL wants to be a "gossip" show or "tabloid" show I think they should make it clear that that's the vision they intended. Because right now, to me at least, they seem to go all over the place.

I think Dave Lease is just fine as her co-host. He's slightly toned down the snark and cattiness from what you guys used to see in his blog. And seriously, guys, Jenny Kirk is just as snarky as he is. From what I've seen on Facebook, their followers seem to (generally) enjoy what they're doing as well.

Of course she would be - she's piggybacking off of him! I wonder if she would be like that if she was paired with someone else who was more professional or at least much less snarky. (This is where I express my disappointment in her - if DL gets out of line, she doesn't try to get him back "in line"- she just completely rolls with it, so in fact I'd even say it's just as much her fault as it is his.)

Unless, of course, that was the intent of the show in the first place. That's one thing. But I wonder how the skater(s) in question feel about the rest of their show...I can just imagine someone taking a comment the wrong way, no longer wanting to be associated with the show, and then you know the rest...

ETA: See, they can do a decent job when they want to. The MBM piece was a cool BTS look (although she had nothing to say afterwards :laugh: )

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Of course she would be - she's piggybacking off of him! I wonder if she would be like that if she was paired with someone else who was more professional or at least much less snarky. (This is where I express my disappointment in her - if DL gets out of line, she doesn't try to get him back "in line"- she just completely rolls with it, so in fact I'd even say it's just as much her fault as it is his.)

Hah! You make it seem like Jenny's a demure non-snarky person without him. I think all skaters have that inner diva that they're just dying to unleash. You're disappointed; I find it hilarious. Oh well, it's all cool. :cool:

And they're an internet podcast, not a TV show-- so I think they have more time to figure things out. In the meantime, I'll enjoy most of what they post up. :popcorn:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

That is the thing that surprised me most. Reading Jenny's blog (which is no longer active) about her skating experience and how much comments from her coaches really affected her, I was surprise that she didn't put David in check when the snark started going.

I would think that she, a former elite skater, would be mindful of the comments they make about other skaters.

I'm not saying they should be PC and polite all the time (i.e. sugar coat a skater's flaws, for example; for example I had no problem with their critique of the Shibs at Worlds and how they lacked dynamism) but some of the comments are just plan mean and really doesn't add anything to the overall conversation.

ElleluvsL

Rinkside
I wonder how the skater(s) in question feel about the rest of their show...I can just imagine someone taking a comment the wrong way, no longer wanting to be associated with the show, and then you know the rest...

I was wondering this as well. If/when Ashley Wagner gets interviewed by them, for example, how would she feel looking back at some of their earlier recaps and segments where they say not-so-complimentary things about her?

As someone who is still irrationally upset about her split from Rocknee (not at her, just the situation) I am looking forward to the interview.

I had been upset about it as well, as it felt to me like she had ruined Rockne's chance of ever making the Olympics, so I'm hoping to gain more understanding of the situation now after watching the interview.