Max Aaron | Page 57 | Golden Skate

Max Aaron

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, that should hopefully be a great experience for him - especially against Shoma Uno. Both guys will probably technically be ready to go.

Looks like a repeat of last year's Skate America. This will be a great way to kick off the season!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
COMPETITION ALERT!

Max will start his season at the Lombardia Trophy!

He will be pitched against Jason, Grant, and Shoma Uno, just to name a few...

Thx to karne for the alert above re Lombardia :).

:bmrk: 2016 LOMBARDIA TROPHY :bmrk:

Just so I don't have to keep looking up the following:
- The 2016 Lombardia area on GS http://goldenskate.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?536-2016-Lombardia-Trophy
- The ISU event page for 2016 Lombardia http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pa...alendar-of-events/2016/09/cs-lombardia-trophy
- Tentative schedule
Thursday, September 8:
All day Official practice​
Friday, September 9:
10:30
LADIES – Short Program
PAIRS – Short Program
MEN – Short Program​
Sunday September 11
10:00
MEN – Free Skating
ICE DANCE – Free Dance​

BTW, another Lombardia entry is Matteo Rizzo of Italy, who recently was in Colorado Springs for summer training.

Just noticed that @matteorizzoo wrote a super-nice caption :luv17: to go with a very nice photo of himself with Max:
... THANK YOU to you Max, perfect training mate. And a friend, like a brother. 🇺🇸🇮🇹👍🏻💪🏻
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIGyP4JAqFN/?taken-by=matteorizzoo (Jul 20)​

In 2014, Max had posted a photo from a previous Matteo visit to Colorado:

Good luck to Max, Matteo, Jason, Shoma, and all :yay:.

Am feeling sheepish that I busily :hopelessness: was putting together my Aug 10 post in this thread at the very hour that USFS was announcing (initially unbeknownst to me) the end :sad4: of Maddie's partnership with Max S.
We have been discussing the Maddie news in other threads, but wanted to make note here in Max's thread of her thoughts on her brother:
... Maddie said she will miss training with her brother in Colorado.
"I'm sad to leave him and not see him every day," she said. "But I'm one of his biggest fans, and I'm always there if he needs me. I'm hoping for so much more from him." ...

Such loving words from Maddie. I'm sure that Max will miss his little sister too. He has spoken in the past of his appreciation for the inspiration and support that she gives him, as he gives his support to her too. Great family :ghug:.

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Such loving words from Maddie. I'm sure that Max will miss his little sister too. He has spoken in the past of his appreciation for the inspiration and support that she gives him, as he gives his support to her too. Great family :ghug:.

I always remember after Skate America 2015 Max saying that one of the best things was that his family was able to be there at the competition. They do seem like a really cool family.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just noticed that Max's IN bio has been updated. The exact wording re his music:

2016-17 SEASON NOTES

SP Music: "Nessun Dorma" by Pavarotti
FS Music: Music from The Lion King by Hans Zimmer

http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/profile/max_aaron

Others here are much more knowledgeable about The Lion King than I am. Would Zimmer's name mean the movie soundtrack as opposed to the Broadway musical? A good thing??

BTW, an idea re Max's GP schedule:
So far, I think we have had no further news regarding a possible move of Rostelecom to a site outside of Russia.
Anyway, I keep forgetting to say that maybe Max could use the days btwn Rostelecom and Cup of China to get a preview of a destination where he hopes to compete in the future. Four Continents ;) will be in Korea, or Worlds will be in Helsinki, for example. He would have to be training of course, but he also could take in some sights/sounds/tastes, etc. -- so if/when he returns to compete, things would not feel totally unfamiliar.

I always remember after Skate America 2015 Max saying that one of the best things was that his family was able to be there at the competition. They do seem like a really cool family.

:agree:

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hans Zimmer wrote the movie's epic score so yes, this signals the actual movie rather than the Broadway musical. :yes2:

I find it interesting that Zimmer is the only one listed, however. That would suggest the score, not the songs (which were written by Tim Rice and Elton John). I thought the icenetwork article suggested he was to have lyrics, so that's a bit confusing.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max answered a fan question in one of the USFS mini-videos today from Champs Camp :).
Not surprisingly ;), Max loves a good challenge :cool:. #SprinterBat #Fearless #DreamingBig #ReadyForUsain

ETA, a made-me-smile comment/directive :laugh: to USFS:
The ever-supportive Mama Gibbs hopes to see Champs Camp photos of Max. #TeamMax
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJWAybjA621/?taken-by=usfigureskating (Aug 20)​

Hans Zimmer wrote the movie's epic score so yes, this signals the actual movie rather than the Broadway musical. :yes2:

I find it interesting that Zimmer is the only one listed, however. That would suggest the score, not the songs (which were written by Tim Rice and Elton John). I thought the icenetwork article suggested he was to have lyrics, so that's a bit confusing.

Thx, karne :).
BTW, I loved :luv17: the photo that accompanied IN's article from Collegiates about Max's debut of The Lion King. #BodesWell #Anticipation

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Of course Max wants to run in the 100m. It's the fastest thing out there. :laugh: :laugh:

musicfan80

Medalist
Of course Max wants to run in the 100m. It's the fastest thing out there. :laugh: :laugh:

I also think with the way his legs are built (more muscular in the quads and not stick-legged) that sprints would be the best distance for him. I don't think he could ever be built like Yohan Blake (Jamaica) or Justin Gatlin (USA), but with the correct lifting and workouts, he could be built like someone as Andre De Grasse (Canada).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I would hope he would never be built like Gatlin or Gay, because they are filthy dirty dopers who shouldn't even be atthe Olympics!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Today Tom Z posted a mini-video of Max and Mirai working with Ben Agosto :cool: on a Choctaw exercise at Champs Camp:

And for the sake of completeness, older bits from this year's Champs Camp:

- A second #AskASkater mini-video from Max. This one is in response to a question about nutrition:

[I believe the first part of his answer referred to "meal timing." Makes sense, but I just hope my ears caught that correctly.]​

- This year's class photo at Champs Camp:

We heard in the USFS Facebook interview with Jason/Grant that skaters were not allowed to use their phones during at least one Champs Camp activity.
Hope USFS eventually will publish some official video of team building and/or other fun stuff :popcorn:.

:agree:

Switching gears to something completely unrelated to Champs Camp.
This recollection about Max was published in Jan 2016, but I had not read it until now. In 2013, the writer was a teen staffer at a week of G2C Super Camp, where Max and Tom Z were among the elite skaters/coaches working both alongside and with younger skaters.

Figure skating national champions in a Zebra Jeep
This story takes place in 2013.
https://limbyc.com/story/589 (posted Jan 29, 2016)​

My favorite excerpts:

There was this one guy, Max, who is to this day, is the most dedicated person I’ve ever met to figure skating. He was very kind, funny, and rather cute. He got up early to skate early sessions. He brought 5 t-shirts with him to the rink each day because he would skate so hard he would sweat through a shirt on each session. When he wasn’t skating, eating, sleeping, he would be in the weight room working out. I was given the job to spot him so he didn’t drop 300 lbs. on himself at camp when he was weight lifting. ....

The week dwindles to the end ...
I arrived at home, and saw someone very familiar. Max was on the cover of Skate Magazine. What was he doing there?! The guy who just drove my car?! That Max?!

It ends up Max is 2013 Men’s National Champion for the United States. HE WAS THE BEST FIGURE SKATING MAN IN THE ENTIRE UNITED STATES AND I HAD NO CLUE. At Super Camp he was just Max, not the Max Aaron. He was way too humble to even tell me that he was the freaking champion in all the U.S. ....

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That story gave me a smile, thanks ice coverage!

It always unnerves me a little though when people don't even follow their own sport.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Article with Max quotes from Champs Camp:

Late-bloomer Rippon hopes to revive quad toe
Brown shows progress with quad; Aaron wants to get crowd involved

Posted 8/29/16
by Lynn Rutherford, special to icenetwork
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/08/29/197784636

The third section of the long article covers Max. Excerpts:

Max Aaron is also working to up the quad ante this season, with plans to add quad toes to both of his programs. ....

Aaron debuted his new free skate, choreographed by Phillip Mills to music from The Lion King, at the 2016 U.S. Collegiate Figure Skating Championships at the end of July and was thrilled with the audience response.

He said, "When the music started, you could hear a lot of whispering and chatting in the crowd, and I was like, 'Everybody knows this music.' I love that. I want people to sing along."

That story gave me a smile, thanks ice coverage!

It always unnerves me a little though when people don't even follow their own sport.

I really liked the part about Max sweating through as many as five t-shirts per day.
A very vivid detail demonstrating his strong work ethic :cool:.

BTW, I'm not sure, but I think the storyteller's mother is one of the main G2C coaches. Not clear to me whether the storyteller is a diehard skater on her/his own or whether perhaps the camp job sort of fell into her/his lap because of mom's role.
In any case, I take your point. I was really surprised when a GS member had mentioned in another thread that the girls at her/his rink (in the U.S.) had no clue who Gracie is, for example.

ETA:
Max is one of the skaters shown in today's new video announcing/promoting 2018 Nats in San Jose:
https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/770346691190923264 (Aug 29)​

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The latest, greatest Lombardia schedule was published today:

Wouldn't surprise me if it were updated again. But for now, I will pull out the parts relevant to Max:

All times local

Wed Sep 7
- Unofficial practice (no music)
11.00-11.30 Senior Men Group 2 all
18:45-19.15 Senior Men Group 1 all​

Thu Sep 8
- 19:00-19:30 Senior Men SP Group 3 SWE-SUI-USA (Official practice?? I think so, but not indicated)
- 19:45 Draw for all senior disciplines (plus junior pairs and junior dance)​

Fri Sep 9
- Senior Men SP Practice
10.30-11.10 Group 1 s.o. 1-6
11.10-11.50 Group 2 s.o. 7-12
12.00-12.40 Group 3 s.o 13-18​
- Senior Men Short Program Competition
14.45-17.10​

Sat Sep 10
- Senior Men FS Practice (these times seem impossible???)
21.00-21.20 Group 1 s.o. 1-6
21.20-21.40 Group 2 s.o. 7-12
21.50-22.10 Group 3 s.o 13-18​

Sun Sep 11
- Senior Men FS Practice (these times seem all but impossible??)
8.10-8.40 Group 1 s.o. 1-6
8.40-9.10 Group 2 s.o. 7-12
9.20-9.50 Group 3 s.o 13-18​
- Senior Men Free Program Competition
12:00-15.14​
- Victory Ceremony Junior and Senior Ice Dance and Senior Men
17.40​

ETA (on Sep 8), best de-garbled version yet of the schedule including practice groups:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max is on the entry list for the Autumn Classic :yay:. (He is the only U.S. man.)

ETA:
- Should have noted that Dolensky :) and Rabbitt :) are listed as subs.
- Mirai :yay: is the only U.S. lady entered. #TeamTomZ (Bell :) and Chan :) are listed as subs.)

So on Max's calendar are:

BTW, regarding the possibility of Rostelecom being moved:
- Lynn Rutherford was told that the ISU Council will make decisions re Rostelecom at its Sep meeting. The mtg is from Sep 9-11, AFAIK.
- David Molina had tweeted on Aug 23 that he will be TC at "CoR in Moscow," so no sign from him of a move (yet??).

The starting orders/results page for 2016 Lombardia:

Per the schedule on that page:
- 09/09/2016
14:40:00 Senior Men Short Program
- 11/09/2016
12:00:00 Senior Men Free Skating​

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The starting orders/results page for 2016 Lombardia:

Per the schedule on that page:
- 09/09/2016
14:40:00 Senior Men Short Program
- 11/09/2016
12:00:00 Senior Men Free Skating​

Thanks for posting that, ice coverage. You prompted me to check my conversions again and now the SP is starting a whole hour earlier than I had originally written it down for. That could have been disastrous!

this should be great event ! maybe quad loops battle ? :biggrin:

As long as Max lands it first. ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
First, nice photos from Italy:

- Great :luv17: one of ClassroomBat :cool: and Mirai visiting the University of Bergamo (courtesy of Tom Z). I think it's one of my all-time favorite photos of Max:
Makes me imagine a teacher's comment on Max's boyhood report card: #LovesToParticipate. :hap85:​

- This one happened to catch the Team USA men at today's draw. #RowO'Bros #Solidarity

Max drew to skate last (thirteenth) in the SP. Go, Max :yay:.

Jason and Shoma are in Group 1; Grant is in Group 2. Good luck to all :).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Of course Max drew last to skate. It'll be near midnight for me at that point. :laugh:

I hope there are some practice reports. The only ones I've seen are from the user posted in Jason's thread and that person clearly doesn't like our SnuggleBat and gave no actual information.