Max! | Golden Skate

Max!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I didn't realize he wasn't fully focused on figure skating until he was 16. It's amazing that he was able to master the most difficult jumps.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I didn't realize he wasn't fully focused on figure skating until he was 16. It's amazing that he was able to master the most difficult jumps.

That's just one of the reasons I have so much respect for Max. In my experience, it was not always easy to figure skate when the hockey players were around. They were not exactly nice to us and I had a big mouth. ;) I will say this for the hockey players. They were fearless and some of them could actually jump in those giant skates. Personally, I think that's part of the reason that Max not only jumps well, he's also a good competitor. He's fearless.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This is rapidly becoming one of my favourite Max articles of all time.

I do find it interesting that for the first time here he admits that they knew his hockey career was coming to an end before he knew his back was broken, because of his height. I guess even though he was only sixteen and might have kept growing, he wasn't about to put on another foot of height.

Weathergal

Medalist
This is rapidly becoming one of my favourite Max articles of all time.

I do find it interesting that for the first time here he admits that they knew his hockey career was coming to an end before he knew his back was broken, because of his height. I guess even though he was only sixteen and might have kept growing, he wasn't about to put on another foot of height.

When watching hockey, I often forget how tall hockey players are--the "shorts" and socks they wear divide them visually, making them look shorter. But if you have the good fortune to see a hockey game in person, you realize just how tall the players are!

Yes, until this article, I didn't realize Max was already planning on leaving hockey before he found out about his back.

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist
Looking at the most of members of the Canadian and American team at the 2014 Olympics, most of the players are taller than 6'0" - really you need to be at least 6'2". Even if you have a lot of natural talent, genetics can unfortunately keep you from getting very far. But luckily, his body worked out for figure skating - Max is about 5'8, right?

Max also has a pretty good body type for short track speed skating, but that sport doesn't bring a lot of $$$ in U.S. - especially after Apolo Anton Ohno retired.

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Um, MiniSnuggleBat is definitely, definitely not that tall.

Hmm. Here are some podium pictures for reference:
2013 U.S. Nationals (Ross Miner, Max Aaron, Jeremy Abbott, Joshua Farris)
2013 U.S. International Classic (Stephen Carriere, Max Aaron, Joshua Farris)
2014 U.S. Nationals (Jason Brown, Jeremy Abbott, Max Aaron, Joshua Farris)
2015 Skate America (Shoma Uno, Max Aaron, Jason Brown)

So.....are Jeremy and Joshua that much taller than Max (and Jason)? Or just better at using hair products?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes.

I am 5'8. Max is definitely not. 5'5, maybe. 5'6 or 5'7 in his skates, maybe. But definitely not 5'8 in skates, let alone out of them.

musicfan80

Medalist
Yes.

I am 5'8. Max is definitely not. 5'5, maybe. 5'6 or 5'7 in his skates, maybe. But definitely not 5'8 in skates, let alone out of them.

Yeah, I think Jeremy and Joshua are definitely at least a couple of inches taller than Max and Jason - and BTW better at hair products. They least at figured out to leave gel alone if they can't make it work. :laugh:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yeah, I think Jeremy and Joshua are definitely at least a couple of inches taller than Max and Jason - and BTW better at hair products. They least at figured out to leave gel alone if they can't make it work. :laugh:

Are they really??? It's too bad that the only time I ever saw Jeremy skate in person was 2011. He skated a Spanish style SP with his hair slicked back and he was great. However, he was no match for Ryan Bradley. Though not as fast as Jeremy, Ryan was tall, good looking, and a great performer. 2011 was a great event for me because it was the first that I saw Richard Dornbush, Ross Miner, that cute boy from Alaska who's name I can never remember, and Armin M.

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist
Are they really??? It's too bad that the only time I ever saw Jeremy skate in person was 2011. He skated a Spanish style SP with his hair slicked back and he was great. However, he was no match for Ryan Bradley. Though not as fast as Jeremy, Ryan was tall, good looking, and a great performer. 2011 was a great event for me because it was the first that I saw Richard Dornbush, Ross Miner, that cute boy from Alaska who's name I can never remember, and Armin M.

Jeremy and Joshua are built with longer legs and it at least gives then a line that makes them look taller than Jason and Max.

2011 Nationals was the first time I noticed Richard Dorbush - and because a huge fan. I am still hoping that he has one more great performance.

I think the cute boy from Alaska you are talking about was Keegan Messing - he now compete for Canada and was 6th this year at their Nationals. I believe he was born with dual citizenship.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Jeremy and Joshua are built with longer legs and it at least gives then a line that makes them look taller than Jason and Max.

2011 Nationals was the first time I noticed Richard Dorbush - and because a huge fan. I am still hoping that he has one more great performance.

I think the cute boy from Alaska you are talking about was Keegan Messing - he now compete for Canada and was 6th this year at their Nationals. I believe he was born with dual citizenship.

It is definitely Keegan who I was thinking of. He was the Hulk and I thought he was so cute. However, it was his Robin hood SP that made me like him. Also, I'll never forget his coaches. Jeans and Long Hair. Talk about bucking the establishment!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NmwdEbxOM8: Here's Keegan's 2010/11 Robin Hood SP. You can see his coach in the K&C.

Last edited: