Men at the Barre (BBC, 2020) | Golden Skate

Men at the Barre (BBC, 2020)

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Here's a recent documentary following the men of the Royal Ballet and Royal Ballet School. It touches on the general challenges of dancing life (retirement, injuries, change of career direction) as well as the social stigma of being a male dancer in a Western country (sounds a little like figure skating;)). Not bad for a BBC doc, it's fairly matter of fact and not sensationalist.

It aired in May 2020 on BBC4 (here's the blurb from the BBC website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jjjq). Not available to watch through the BBC link at the moment, but I found a copy on Youtube (hopefully it lasts):

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I get the electronic UK version of Men's Health magazine as part of a newsite bundle - I'm a bit ashamed to admit I read it... it's supposed to be about health, and some of it is interesting if you can wade through the fashion articles and garbage like that. That magazine has more fluff than the old Wide World of Sports.

To gradually get back to the point... this month they featured one of ballet companies and the things they're doing to condition dancers (who they appropriately liken to athletes) to rehab from injurt and prevent injury. It was interesting. Fancy medical devices and stuff.

People can believe what they want, but male ballet dancers are absolute jocks.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Here's a recent documentary following the men of the Royal Ballet and Royal Ballet School. It touches on the general challenges of dancing life (retirement, injuries, change of career direction) as well as the social stigma of being a male dancer in a Western country (sounds a little like figure skating;)). Not bad for a BBC doc, it's fairly matter of fact and not sensationalist.

It aired in May 2020 on BBC4 (here's the blurb from the BBC website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jjjq). Not available to watch through the BBC link at the moment, but I found a copy on Youtube (hopefully it lasts):

Thank you for mentioning this, definitely something I will be adding to my watch list. :)

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Watched this and loved it! I had forgotten about the evil Lara Spencer comment. Thanks for the link!
You're welcome (rather I'm grateful to whoever uploaded it)! Fingers crossed it stays up, so that people like Spencer can be educated ;)