Men - Short Program - Comments | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Men - Short Program - Comments

Eeyora

Final Flight
At this point it is so close, It still looks like anybodys game. I love Plushenko. I hope he is okay. But a shakeup in the standings like this is making an exciting competition.

Don't forget the last skater to win worlds in a pre Olympic year and go onto to win the Olympics was Scott Hamilton.

nicole_l

Final Flight
Don't forget the last skater to win worlds in a pre Olympic year and go onto to win the Olympics was Scott Hamilton.
I'll go check my question later, but is this just men, or is it in all disciplines?

Frau Muller

Final Flight
I was stuck at a boring meeting all afternoon & just checked the results...

OH MY GOD!!!!!! What the????

I'm thrilled for Lambiel, who is now way, way ahead of both Joubert & Plushy.

Local fans must be crushed, though.

The $64K Question: Can Jeff Buttle knock Plushy off the podium...in Plushy's home town?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
nicole_l said:
I'll go check my question later, but is this just men, or is it in all disciplines?

just men
Jamie and David were 01 World Champs
Tara was the 1997 World Champ...

mbi00

Spectator
rain said:
Go Jeff!!!
Sounds like they continue to hold up Plushenko despite clearly sub-par performances.

Just want to make it clear that Plushenko was actually not held up, far from. His technical scores (about 35,99) were, in fact, about the same as Kristoffer Berntsson (place 13) from Sweden got, for a not so clean and quite obviously, less difficult skating. I was a bit surprised that they didn't place him higher, this being, as we all remember, his home country, but hey - as long as it's fair. :)

By the way, anyone else feeling that the chinese guy was judged unfairly? Seriously, giving him 38 as the technical score for what was the best jumps of the field (according to the commentators ;) ), including a quad in combination - that is just not right. :mad:

brad640

On the Ice
The short program was a thrilling roller coaster ride. The intensity increased with each group to skate. I loved Tarasova’s tears of joy in reaction to Griazev’s fantastic performance. His Carmen had some of the excitement of Viktor’s from 92 minus the bells. I think TT was overjoyed to see how well the Russian crowd received the performance because she puts so much of her own love of skating into her coaching career. I have not seen her so emotional since Alexei’s gold.

It was interesting to see how differently the skaters dealt with injury. I thought Plushenko was going to leave out the quad similar to the qualifying round, but it showed determination that he tried to land it. I think he was held up in a major way, but I respect his tenacity. Johnny was lucky that so many people made mistakes after he fell. His program was scaled back on all the elements, and I thought he would be out of the top ten, but the judges were generous. He has a chance of moving up to at least finish 5th again, but that would take a great skate, but I don’t think he is capable of that, and I expect to see more of the same watered down skating in his LP – a disappointing way for TT and Platov’s great programs to end up this season. At least Buttle is looking good so far, but short of Joubert and Plushenko withdrawing, the judges have reserved medals for the two of them and no falls(Plush) or lack of PCS(Joubert) will keep them off the podium.

Loved Kevin VDP’s dancing and his Jude Law fauxhawk haircut. Why did it say “Exit” on the back of his costume? I’m happy for Evan, and Frank must be feeling pretty good about firing Tim. I was sad for Tim and Lindemann and Eman, and I enjoyed Jamal Othman. I can’t tell for sure from ISU if he made the LP cut or not.

Finally, Lambiel’s SP was a beautiful gift to the world. I loved the music, loved the costume, loved the choreography, and his spins were even better than Europeans. I am amazed and in awe. If Plushenko or Joubert had skated the Qround and SP that Lambiel has, they would have a 20 point lead right now, but Lambiel only has a 6 point lead. I wonder how the judges would explain giving Plush higher PCS for that SP. Hopefully Lambiel has what it takes to hold it together for the LP and win. It will be a vindication for all the times Lucinda Ruh dazzled with her spins and got nothing to show for it. Hopefully Lambiel will go to Rafael and clean up his jump technique over the summer, because I was holding my breath on all of his landings, but no one can come close to those spins.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
brad640 said:
... Hopefully Lambiel will go to Rafael and clean up his jump technique over the summer, because I was holding my breath on all of his landings, but no one can come close to those spins.

I am not sure that Lambiel will go to Rafael for help on jumps; I read on FSU that Lambiel got help from Alexei Mishin on his jumps -- and that, at a post SP press conference, Lambiel gave Mishin the credit.

soogar

Record Breaker
If Lambiel becomes World Champ, will Mishin still help him on his jumps over the summer?

Some quickie notes

Dambier - Best ever.

Berntsson - very good. He's getting there.

Othman - Swisses newest boy to be watched.

Zelenko - good job, father the coach.

MinZhang - fell. but still a good job.

Sandhu - Ya never know with him until you watch.

Tim - Something's wrong. He needs to get a check up.

Griazev - TT's wonder boy did a fine job. Are the judges holding something back from TT?

Van DP - very good clean skate.

Davhydov - ok but boring

BUTTLE - His night. If he stays with Rafael he'll be an Oly contender.

Weir - Oh Johnny - No flubs alowed in the SP.

Daisaike - Good job but needs better presentation.

Dobrin - Russia's new boy in town. Should change style to lyric.

LYSACEK - Best ever for him, but everyone in this group has a quad

Lindemann - Missed every jump. Back where he belongs.

LAMBIEL - 2 quads, all thos spins, and soo musical!!! You figure.

PLUSH - One fall killed it but he is still good.

JOUBERT - Best in a long time. He even had an expression on his face.

CHENG LI - Good but needs more expression and better spins.

My predictions: Plushenko, Lambiel, Joubert, Buttle, Lysacek, Li in that order.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
mbi00 said:
Just want to make it clear that Plushenko was actually not held up, far from. His technical scores (about 35,99) were, in fact, about the same as Kristoffer Berntsson (place 13) from Sweden got, for a not so clean and quite obviously, less difficult skating. I was a bit surprised that they didn't place him higher, this being, as we all remember, his home country, but hey - as long as it's fair. :)
Ummm, that's the whole point. I think the general consensus is that the elements score is more or less fair. However, is it really fair to say that all components of a poorly executed program are still the best (with some inferior to Lambiel's). Components should not reflect what kind of skater one is, but what kind of performance he/she/they put out there on the given day.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Ptichka, did you see the skates??

I'm no Plushiak and never have been. But I do respect his talents. I was watching via www.russiatvonline.com. Even though he made a big mistake, there is no question he has amazing presence on the ice. I'm certainly not the best qualified person to assess who was / or not robbed, but the fact that he moved down a spot (deservedly) on home ice to boot suggests to me that something is working right.

No kidding - even with the big mistake there is no doubt he is a skater WAY above most of the others. As much as it pains me to say that. :)

DG

soogar

Record Breaker
ITA DG:
Plush sold that program and saved the rest of his jumps after a hard fall on the quad toe. On Eurosport, one of the commentators remarked that Plushy was looking defiantly at the judges during his program as if he were daring them to mark him down. That man is intense and this was the best performance of Moonlight Sonata I have seen all year in spite of his fall.

Hikaru

Final Flight
I haven't seen the Short Program yet, but I agree with Ptichka and DG, in the sense that component marks have to reflect what the skater did in the program rather than their reputation, but also that one mistake in the program shouldn't dictate the whole value of the component marks. Sure, a mistake should reflect on the marks, but if the rest of the program is well executed, that has to count as well. I want to see Johnny's short, he also had one fall, but I want to see the rest of his program, since the PCS were along the low 7's. We also have Lindemann, poor man, that fell I think in almost all the jumps, so he paid in both TES and PCS, as it should be (and I like his skating. When his jumps are on, he's like flying!)

I came across this picture and I swear I didn't recognize who it was until I saw the outfit

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
No, I have not seen the program, and I have absolutely no opinion as to whether or not Plush was held up. My comment simply said that the fact that elements score was low says nothing about the fairness of the judging.

herios

Medalist
Ptichka said:
No, I have not seen the program, and I have absolutely no opinion as to whether or not Plush was held up. My comment simply said that the fact that elements score was low says nothing about the fairness of the judging.

Just watched it and I never been a fan, but my heart was in my throat while Plush skated. He went all out, didn't hold anything back, landed a very "leaning" axel, the only moment he was cautios was the lutz take off. He is hurt and wants soo much to not dissapoint the home crowd. He deserved his placement.
Even he shows up for the free, he more likely will not be able the land the quad, so if Lambiel or Joubert will hold up to the pressure and have the quad, Plush will skate to just stay on the podium.

Herios - Joseph

sk8er1964

On the Ice
brad640 said:
Johnny was lucky that so many people made mistakes after he fell. His program was scaled back on all the elements, and I thought he would be out of the top ten, but the judges were generous. He has a chance of moving up to at least finish 5th again, but that would take a great skate, but I don’t think he is capable of that, and I expect to see more of the same watered down skating in his LP – a disappointing way for TT and Platov’s great programs to end up this season.

I haven't seen any skating yet, so my opinions don't have the weight of the informed. However, I would suspect that Johnny is getting some pressure from the USFSA to keep skating and try to finish in the top 10 so he and Lysacek can try to keep 3 for the US at the Olys. Without him, there is no chance. Watered down means less pain, and fewer mistakes, so possibly a higher score on the presentation (PCS? - I forget the acronym) will keep him in the hunt. Just a theory....

mbi00 said:
By the way, anyone else feeling that the chinese guy was judged unfairly? Seriously, giving him 38 as the technical score for what was the best jumps of the field (according to the commentators ;) ), including a quad in combination - that is just not right. :mad:
No, I think Li was judged fairly. He had good jumps, but weak spins (I don't think he did the required number of revolutions on the last one), and his footwork was quite weak compared to the other top men. That's what the new judging system is supposed to do, reflect all the technical elements, not just the jumps.

I thought Lambiel totally blew Plushenko off the ice. Give Evgeni his props for a gutsy try while injured, and if you must, give him some points for showmanship. (Didn't you just cringe when he lifted his leg for a Bielmann, knowing he had a groin injury?) But Stephane's spins are light-years ahead of everybody else's, with speed, centering and many intricate changes of position. I thought both Lambiel and Buttle deserved to have higher component scores than Plushenko, irrespective of what country they were competing in.

Mathman

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Men's SP

Stephane Lambiel was a total unknown this season due to his injury, but I saw no signs of rust. Great spins, a quad and strong presentation. Other than Plush, he just might be the most well-rounded skater.

Injury has turned the competition upside down with the top two men in the GP -- Plush and Weir --making errors.

Joubert isn't my favorite skater, but he skated a good SP and no one denies he has the technical goods. He's a cutie, too. :)

Buttle making a big impression and Lysacek a big surprise in the top 5. I don't see Evan getting on the podium, but a Top 6 finish in his first Worlds would be a HUGE accomplishment. Jeff is something else. If he skates a strong LP and Plush has an injury-related meltdown or Brian takes a big hit on the PCS, Jeff could be on the podium.

In summary, Stephane Lambiel has a clear but far from insurmountable lead. He has all the qualities to be a champ -- can he put it together? Given his MIA season, it's almost impossible to say. Also, in spite of his injury, I will never count Plush out -- he is that good. And Brian is uninjured and certainly capable of overtaking Stephane if he makes errors. I don't have a good feeling about Johnny's chances at this point, even though he has the PCS without a doubt. I hope he can go out and skate as well as he can under the circumstances.