Men SP - 2013 Trophee Eric Bompard | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Men SP - 2013 Trophee Eric Bompard

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hanyu skated very well technically but his posture and lines are worse than last season.

3axel was cheated. Camel and sit spin were ok but not great (could use more speed and flow and better extended positions). Every time I see that step sequence which wasn't even choreographed in time to the music in the first place, I want to claw my eyes out.

:laugh: Are there any skaters you actually like Ziggy?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Who says they didn't expect a higher score for Chan than what Jason got? But through the roof is ridiculous just because Chan skated clean (which he rarely has done especially early in a season over the last few seasons). I'm not expecting Jason to score higher than Chan, but Jason is certainly a better skater artistically and stylistically than Patrick Chan. Jason still has things to work on, and I'm glad that his scores reflect that fact. Chan is an amazing skater technically (aside from his 3-axel and his inconsistent performances), and he's not bad presentation-wise, but he still Chan has things to work on too. The shame is that Chan's scores hardly ever reflect that fact.

What? That's just completely incorrect. Chan is by far the best artistically and especially in skating skills, in the entire world. It's funny how you state your biased opinions as "facts".

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
:laugh: Are there any skaters you actually like Ziggy?

He :love: Jason Brown. I think he's the only one that did not get the brutal critique of Ziggy.

Jason Brown was amazing. All jumps clean, all spins extremely fast with beautifully extended positions, everything solid.

(Ziggy, I always appreciate your posts. :) )

M

mylastduchess

Who says they didn't expect a higher score for Chan than what Jason got? But through the roof is ridiculous just because Chan skated clean (which he rarely has done especially early in a season over the last few seasons). I'm not expecting Jason to score higher than Chan, but Jason is certainly a better skater artistically and stylistically than Patrick Chan. Jason still has things to work on, and I'm glad that his scores reflect that fact. Chan is an amazing skater technically (aside from his 3-axel and his inconsistent performances), and he's not bad presentation-wise, but he still Chan has things to work on too. The shame is that Chan's scores hardly ever reflect that fact.

UGGGHHH everytime I hear this Chan is not artistic blah blah blah I know that they have not skated at all, show me anybody who can skate Patrick's program as well as he can then we'll talk

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Thrilled that Jason is in podium contention, though it's close with Han just a hair behind him! Still, well above my expectations (I had him in 5th in my predictions). Hope he has a great FS!

Chan is only three points ahead of Hanyu, so there's no room for error for either in the FS.

Chan can still land 2 triple splats and still win because we all know he is going to have at least 10 PCS cushion in FS. I think the gold is his unless he skates half of his program on ice with his butt.
I think its pretty much a battle for bronze between Yan and Brown.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Chan is an amazing skater technically (aside from his 3-axel and his inconsistent performances), and he's not bad presentation-wise, but he still Chan has things to work on too. The shame is that Chan's scores hardly ever reflect that fact.

What's wrong with his triple axel? It was ratified as clean, and he had transitions leading out of it... the only issue was he could get more height, but it was still clean. And the judges marked it fine too since it scored less than both Yan and Hanyu's triple axels.

Score sheet: http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpfra2013/gpfra2013_Men_SP_Scores.pdf

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think it'll be a really exciting FS with Chan/Hanyu battling for gold and Brown/Yan battling for bronze.

:agree:

Yes! I'm excited for tomorrow.

I hope Han feels better. He held up well today, but a fever in a 4:30 FS is going to be brutal.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Come on. Wonderful skate by Patrick, but my God, the score is absolutely ridiculous. It's as if they are saying he has nothing left to work on. Please!!! Patrick Chan is simply NOT a better interpretive skater than Jason Brown. Of course, better SS and the quad I expected Patrick's PCS to be higher as usual, but give Patrick something to work toward at the least. He's simply NOT that great artistically just because he skated clean. 98+ is a mockery and an insult to all the other skaters. Apparently no one can reach Patrick even when he has an off day, much less when he has an average lovely skate. What's he gonna get at the Olympics then? 100+

Give Patrick his Olympic gold then already and retire PLEASE!!! I hope to never see another skater placed so far above everyone else for whatever reason. I have favorite skaters who I think are wonderful, but I realize they also have weaknesses and they are not perfect. No one is perfect. I'd hate to see any skater I like treated like a God all the time every time.

He wasn't "placed so far above everyone else." He is in the lead by about three points. :rolleye: He skated brilliantly, Hanyu skated brilliantly, they were both given very high scores, and Chan is ahead but not unreachable. Not that I don't have my own beefs with the judging system, but what on Earth is the controversy here?

Seems a lot of people are getting "record scores" so far this season. As long as there's no problem with the placements, I don't see the need to be terribly concerned about it.

treeloving

Medalist

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
:agree:

Yes! I'm excited for tomorrow.

I hope Han feels better. He held up well today, but a fever in a 4:30 FS is going to be brutal.

He held up amazingly today, considering the fever. That 3A was incredible, and one of the best I've ever seen. It'll be especially interesting because Brown should get higher PCS in his FS, but Han Yan has higher base value usually and is coming off a GP win.

If Yan places 3rd or 4th he's in the GP final, or does he have to place 3rd?

Sackie

Medalist
I didn't say anyone was saying Jason should be above Chan. What I was saying is that a program with a clean solid 4/3 will score 6-7 points higher than a 3/3 program. So if Jason gets 84 Chan has to be above 90 and that's with everything else being equal, which they are not! So by giving Jason such a high score with no quad the judges locked themselves into having to mark Chan sky high.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Video link:

‏@dahlia1723

Interesting, looking at the PCS, the judges actually did not do the corridor thing.

Han beat Jason in SS (7.75 vs 7.46) and they were close in choreography (7.75 for Jason vs 7.64; you could argue Jason should have a bigger lead) but Jason basically beat him handily in transitions, performance/execution and interpretation.

If he gets that quad is a big if! I hope it doesn't take him as long as it did for him to master the 3A. Actually I don't think it would. He seems to do quite well with toe pick jumps.

Hi, Mrs. P. Pls forgive my cluelessness: what does the "corridor thing" metaphor mean?

(And sorry, once again I owe you a PM for your most recent one, which was MUCH appreciated.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
He held up amazingly today, considering the fever. That 3A was incredible, and one of the best I've ever seen. It'll be especially interesting because Brown should get higher PCS in his FS, but Han Yan has higher base value usually and is coming off a GP win.

If Yan places 3rd or 4th he's in the GP final, or does he have to place 3rd?

He'll be fine with a 3rd place finish and likely a 4th place finish, though that might be more of a close call.

Han has way higher BV, however if he struggles with his non-jump elements, Jason could sneak in with a solid performance. That's an if though because so far this season, Jason has been less clean in the FS than in the SP.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
This is one heck of a competition! I love it! :)

Lol me too, so excited for tomorrow. Amazing skates from top 4 :clap:

I'm in love with Chan's skating. Emotional performance including high technical difficulties :bow:

I'm sad I couldn't go to Paris for this Grand Prix. Was there 10 years ago.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Do you feel the same about Yuzu's score? Do you feel the same way about Volosozhar/Trankov's scores?

LOL @ all the haters whining inflation. Sorry, another world record for Chan. :biggrin:

Yes, I think Yuzu is a great skater technically, but he still has a lot of work to do maturity-wise and artistically. I think Yuzu's score is also high. But by giving Chan such a high score, they obviously left no room for other skaters to win. So with Yuzu skating great they had to keep his score at least somewhat apace with Patrick's. No secret that I'm not a fan of either CoP or the quad.

V/T's scores last season were absolutely ridiculous at some events. V/T did not have great programs last season, and they only got better and more consistent with their performances at the tail end of the season. They are usually rated highly because they are also hugely favored by the judges. That doesn't mean that V/T shouldn't be ahead of everyone else at this point. Just as it doesn't mean that Chan should not be ahead of everyone else at this competition. V/T and Chan absolutely should be placed ahead when they skate as well as they have been so far this season, but I find the very high scores placing them out of reach of other competitors areoften ridiculous. But moreso in the men's event, because at least V/T and other pairs skaters still have somewhere to go with the marks. As far as other skaters today, I find Davis and White practically perfect every time out, and their scores usually reflect that, but OTOH, their scores are not so ridiculously high that their placement is out of line versus the performances by other competitors. I feel that often Patrick's scores are so high that the event becomes less than a competition.

We'll see what happens in the fp at TEB for the men. But at this point, Patrick surely knows that he has only to skate clean and he wins. It doesn't really matter what anyone else does out there. They are saying that Patrick is practically perfect when he skates clean. His SS are definitely amazing, but that doesn't mean he's perfect and always always deserves scores through the roof when he manages to skate clean.

phaeljones

On the Ice
When two really great skaters skate so well, the score really is secondary. I am so happy for both Chan and Hanyu, but mostly I am so happy that Hanyu has found his space finally to be at his best this season. I so hope that they both blow the roof off tomorrow with the best skates of their lives.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hi, Mrs. P. Pls forgive my cluelessness: what does the "corridor thing" metaphor mean?

(And sorry, once again I owe you a PM for your most recent one, which was MUCH appreciated.)

I owe you a PM too. :)

Typically judges will score the SS skills then all the other marks will go along that mark regardless of how that skater actually performed in those other elements. People griped about Gracie Gold getting high PCS due to her SS despite lacking in the other areas, for example.

However today, the judges -- albeit in a small way -- did differentiate the marks a little bit, giving Han the edge in skating skills (which is correct) and Jason the edge in everything else.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think he/she means overall not just in this competition.

His 3A is indeed his weaker jump, but he's still landed it in both SPs of his Grand Prix events this season, which is to be commended considering how much trouble it's given him in the past. Today it wasn't particularly effortless, but it was still clean.