Men's 300+ Total Points Club | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Men's 300+ Total Points Club

Franklin99

Medalist
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but it remains to be seen how often he can replicate this accomplishment. At the beginning of the season Mao skated a great LP at the Japan Open and everyone thought her winning everything was a done deal.

And then she got sick that lasted on and off over 3-4 weeks.How you keep forgetting that when it's been mentioned repeatedly, I don't know.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but it remains to be seen how often he can replicate this accomplishment. At the beginning of the season Mao skated a great LP at the Japan Open and everyone thought her winning everything was a done deal.

FYI Patrick has skated his FP very well all season long, and gradually increasing the technical content of it.... I'd say his FP is VERY consistent.

Franklin99

Medalist
FYI Patrick has skated his FP very well all season long, and gradually increasing the technical content of it.... I'd say his FP is VERY consistent.

Which is why I only mentioned him needing a clean SP at Worlds to join the 300 club. Pchiddy has consistently done a very clean or clean-ish LP this season, it's his SP that he's been inconsistent with.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
And then she got sick that lasted on and off over 3-4 weeks.How you keep forgetting that when it's been mentioned repeatedly, I don't know.

She skated four events over 8 weeks and underperformed at each. Mao is super talented but she isn't consistent. I don't think it's insulting her to acknowledge that.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yup... totally agree
Which is why I only mentioned him needing a clean SP at Worlds to join the 300 club. Pchiddy has consistently done a very clean or clean-ish LP this season, it's his SP that he's been inconsistent with.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i should also add that we are talking about men reaching 300.... they don't necessarily need to do it at every single competition ;) once it's done, they are part of the select club... so consistency over ONE competition is needed ....not over the whole year :) javier reached it at euros... it could be as well be the first and last time he does it... who knows right?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

He's scored over 190 in three freeskates this season. That's why it's especially remarkable that in a comeback season, his freeskates are more consistent than ever.... and a bit odd too, because normally his SPs are stronger and this season they haven't been.

I certainly did not think Mao having a great LP at the Japan Open would mean she would win everything -- I fully expected the Russians to beat her, and even Miyahara to give her a run for her money (mainly because Mao still has technical issues that need sorting out, including a fully rotated 3-3, a more consistent 3A, and her flutz)... and that's assuming she'd be healthy (which of course, she wasn't entirely).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
i think MTK is the issue... it's hard to get into its rhythm...

Maybe... I notice Mack the Knife is a very "easy-going" number (obviously difficult to execute but the whole vibe is more relaxed), and maybe he finds it hard to attack his elements. Well, between this FS and his nationals SP, he at least has the confidence to know that he can pull 300 points if he skates his best.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
he certainly can :) to go back to his 3a.... they were GORGEOUS in the fp....i was amazed with how beautiful all his jumps were. his flip too at the end... you can hear the landing on the video... :) i'm such a fanboy today
Maybe... I notice Mack the Knife is a very "easy-going" number (obviously difficult to execute but the whole vibe is more relaxed), and maybe he finds it hard to attack his elements. Well, between this FS and his nationals SP, he at least has the confidence to know that he can pull 300 points if he skates his best.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
he certainly can :) to go back to his 3a.... they were GORGEOUS in the fp....i was amazed with how beautiful all his jumps were. his flip too at the end... you can hear the landing on the video... :) i'm such a fanboy today

My favourite is when he landed his 3S. Right on the music... the perfect punctuation. Can't believe a judge gave him only a +1 on that (must've been the same one who gave him the 8.75's).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yup ;) but i mentioned that in the fan fest and was trying to not repeat myself ;) the salchow was perfectly timed and it was just awesome... the other chord in the music right after it also had a perfectly well timed gesture on it...brilliant choreography, interpretation and execution. There was a judge who seemed to give him really poor marks indeed... i wonder if it's anyone we know on this forum ;)
My favourite is when he landed his 3S. Right on the music... the perfect punctuation. Can't believe a judge gave him only a +1 on that (must've been the same one who gave him the 8.75's).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
yup ;) but i mentioned that in the fan fest and was trying to not repeat myself ;) the salchow was perfectly timed and it was just awesome... the other chord in the music right after it also had a perfectly well timed gesture on it...brilliant choreography, interpretation and execution. There was a judge who seemed to give him really poor marks indeed... i wonder if it's anyone we know on this forum ;)

Reminded me of his 2A at Canadians in 2011 at the 4:20 mark. :love: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPcPTXUh1uA

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I guess there should be a second level to this club. 300 points being the first level, then 320 being the second level?

I'm certain if Chan goes clean on the SP the judges will give him 100 points for it at least.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I guess there should be a second level to this club. 300 points being the first level, then 320 being the second level?

I'm certain if Chan goes clean on the SP the judges will give him 100 points for it at least.

These are the benchmarks for the top men:

310+: Yuzuru Hanyu
300-309: Incredible
290-299: Superior
280-289: Great
270-279: Good
<270: Poor

Franklin99

Medalist
These are the benchmarks for the top men:

310+: Yuzuru Hanyu
300-309: Incredible
290-299: Superior
280-289: Great
270-279: Good
<270: Poor

If Yuzuru goes clean and adds a 4Lo, how high do you think his scores will go, 340+?

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
If Yuzuru goes clean and adds a 4Lo, how high do you think his scores will go, 340+?

If he adds 4Lo and keeps the other three quads (has a four quad FS) and does a SP like GPF he could get 340. If he replaces a 4T with 4Lo it'll still be around 330. He can't get much higher in the SP with the current layout unless he moves one of the quads to the second half, plus he got essentially perfect PCS (49 something).

Franklin99

Medalist
If he adds 4Lo and keeps the other three quads (has a four quad FS) and does a SP like GPF he could get 340. If he replaces a 4T with 4Lo it'll still be around 330. He can't get much higher in the SP with the current layout unless he moves one of the quads to the second half, plus he got essentially perfect PCS (49 something).

Thanks, that makes sense.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
a club, by definition, requires more than one person in it... I don't think there's a point thinking that there will be soon enough a 320+ club... also, of course, the benchmark of 100, 200 and 300 (SP, FP and total score) is hot because of the round numbers... that's why there's no women's club right now as their scale doesn't get to round numbers.... :(

Franklin99

Medalist
a club, by definition, requires more than one person in it... I don't think there's a point thinking that there will be soon enough a 320+ club... also, of course, the benchmark of 100, 200 and 300 (SP, FP and total score) is hot because of the round numbers... that's why there's no women's club right now as their scale doesn't get to round numbers.... :(

Which is why both Mao and Liza needs to bring their 3A+ 3 other triple to get pass the 80 points in the SP. :laugh: