Men's prospects after two events | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Men's prospects after two events

After the third competition, there are 3golds and 3silvers looking to repeat. Much depends on how Joubert and Preaubert skate. They could upset the trend.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Based on Wikipedia research only: Chan turns 18 on the last day of the year. Plushenko won Skate Canada and NHK in 1998; SC started a few days after he'd turned 16.

Okay, thanks for the info. Being the second-youngest male skater to win a GP event isn't a shabby start for a very promising career! :agree:

I only started following the sport in January, and I wanted to ask those of you who have been fans for many years: is this the most exciting season for men's singles that you've EVER experienced??? Maybe because this is the first time I've watched the GP series as it happens which is leading me to react this way, but it's been a NON-STOP roller coaster ride so far!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! :eek:

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I only started following the sport in January, and I wanted to ask those of you who have been fans for many years: is this the most exciting season for men's singles that you've EVER experienced???
I've been watching for nearly ten years, but this is the first time I've had the chance to watch the GP events in full. I think right now there are more contenders then when I first started watching, but personally, I found it more exciting when it was Plushenko vs. Yagudin, because it was a major rivalry and the standard tended to be very high. So for me it would probably be the 2001-2 season (made even better when Yagudin won all the big events :cool:).

Joesitz said:
After the third competition, there are 3golds and 3silvers looking to repeat. Much depends on how Joubert and Preaubert skate. They could upset the trend.
Unless Preaubert has had some kind of breakthrough (beating an off-form Joubert does not count as such) I think he's a stretch for GPF. But it's enough for him to do well at one of his events to make things interesting. Re Joubert, I'm taking a wait and see approach.

Unless Preaubert has had some kind of breakthrough (beating an off-form Joubert does not count as such) I think he's a stretch for GPF. But it's enough for him to do well at one of his events to make things interesting. Re Joubert, I'm taking a wait and see approach.
Didn't we read somewhere that Preaubert has changed the giddiness out of his style? and that he is working with some well known coach to get hi Tech scores. I may be thinking of someone else. But he does well, Preaubert and of the two, Joubert should win over him and even win the Le Trophee. Meanwhile Chan, Abbott and Kozuka are aiming to put an end to Joubert. Will they? It deinitely is a wait and see. This is a hot competition. Five excellent skaters each looking for at least a silver medal.

BTW, If Ponsero in the NHK can stand up in 2 programs, Oda, Johnny, and Carriere will have to fight for silver. And then, there is another not-to-count-out Reynolds who may amaze the judges. Another hot comp, and bronze medals just wont do.

(In Ladies, there are no hot competitions since two places are basically already filled. It's where bronze medals play a part.)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Meanwhile Chan, Abbott and Kozuka are aiming to put an end to Joubert. Will they? It deinitely is a wait and see. This is a hot competition. Five excellent skaters each looking for at least a silver medal.
I believe Jeremy Abbott is going to CoR as his second assignment, not TEB. Unless you where referring to the GPF? But I don't see that as being assured yet for any of them - though it does seem likely, at this point.

I believe Jeremy Abbott is going to CoR as his second assignment, not TEB. Unless you where referring to the GPF? But I don't see that as being assured yet for any of them - though it does seem likely, at this point.
Yes. I was referring to CoR for Abbott who will be facing Joubert and Preaubert.
I think I had Finals on my mind, because there are already 3 gold medalists from the first three events.

Bennett

Record Breaker
* Tomas Verner has the talent and the programs - but will he show up mentally?

I hope he will! But his team do not seem to be prepared as strategically well as Jeremy, Stephen, or Kozuka, which is a concern. Even if he shows up mentally, it is possible that he would lose to Jeremy at CoR for little points unnecessarily lost.

Jeremy is able to do a clean quad. The question is the order-of-skate. I presume Verner will skate before him for the SP (correct me, please) and if he does a quad, Jeremy has to weigh that out. Joubert will most likely skate last, so he is in a better position to see what the others will do (including Bradley). Kozuka, I don't think he does a quad.

A quad in the SP and one in the LP brings in quite a few points and ups the PCs.

Both Bradley and Preaubert have their own way of jumping but both land jumps.

This has to be the hottest contest in the SP as well as in the LP.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
As I understand it, skating order in the SP is based on current ISU standings. Assuming this is true, the last-to-skate would depend on how Joubert does at TEB; he is currently in third, 255 points behind Verner, but a top-five finish would get allow him to move ahead. KvdP is the next highest ranked from the CoR field.

It looks like Abbott will have to decide what do do for his SP without seeing the others. Joubert always tries quad combos in his SP regardless of skating order. A quad in both programs would net some points if it's clean - the GOEs for it are factored differently this season, IIRC.

For TEB, Joubert is the highest ranked skater, followed by Chan, Mroz, Preaubert and Reynolds.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I think Weir will make it, too. If Dai's coming back from injury, he may not be in top shape, and with Joubert in trouble and a bunch of guys fighting it out at CoR anyway, Johnny should have the edge looking ahead.

bekalc

Record Breaker
IF Joubert wins Cup of Russia he's in too... He'll beat out anyone with a 2/3 finish.)

I think Abbot just needs a fourth or above to make it.

Carriere/Weir need second/third I think to seal the deal for themselves.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
We will likely have 3 American men in the GPF - and Evan Lysacek is not one of them!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
We will likely have 3 American men in the GPF - and Evan Lysacek is not one of them!
I'm not sure the likelihood of Carriere making it is that high, even without Dai in the NHK field. If they skate ok, both Oda and Weir should finish ahead of him; and his CoC score is not very high, which would hurt him in the tiebreaker.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
He's competing with Verner for the last spot and Verner's score isn't very good. As long as Carriere scores within 4 points of what he did at CoC, and finishes in the top 3, he'll be going to the GPF.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Evan is already out, because he is in 7th place.
Good old Alban scored 10 points more overall than Evan, not bad for the "sloppy" French guy, he did that with once 10 points less PCS than Evan in the LP. I still feel for Préaubert, it somehow feels wrong that he won't be there with his stellar and clean performances. But since he isn't US-American or Canadian very few seem to care here.

I really want Ponsero to win NHK, even if that means only Silver and Bronze for Johnny and Oda - or the next big surprise. The judges had no problems with Joubert off the podium, so I guess it's always an open game. Ponsero just needs this success right now, he is on, perhaps not on a very good way, but on a much better way than during the past seasons. One big win, once the French anthem for him at a major ISU-event (read: not Coupe de Nice). I think he needs that in order to really find his competitive edge.